Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why can't I book train tickets for December?

Sep 27th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
I'm planning our first trip to Europe/Italy in December, before Christmas. I had read on this forum previously that you can book train tickets on Trenitalia.com about 4 months prior to your departure date. I want to book tickets for 12/18/12. It's only 2.5 months away but it says "no travel solution found". Is this a normal situation now or did I do something wrong?

Thank you all!
Sep 27th, 2012, 11:18 PM

I've been trying to book for mid Dec. and according to the the Man in Seat 61
(seat61.com) there are times of the year that they fail to load the schedules and we just have to wait until they do.
Sep 28th, 2012, 03:06 AM

Trenitalia loads schedules twice a year (2nd week of Dec. and 2nd week of June). They might not have all the winter schedule loaded until late Nov. Keep checking as the long distance fast trains will usually show up first.
Sep 28th, 2012, 05:28 AM

You can also use the www.lefrecce.it site which you may find slightly easier to use for some trains.
Sep 28th, 2012, 05:49 AM

I was infomed ( by the Swiss Railways ) that the timetable for the Italian trains will change between Sunday 16th Dec
and Monday 17th. As long as new timetable is not loaded, you cannot book. When can it be? Possibly as kyboutbon wrote, until end of November. A few years ago I wanted to book a train from Geneva to Venice for Christmas and I remember I did have to wait until end of November or beginning of December.
Sep 28th, 2012, 06:41 AM

It won't help to use the Lefrecce link as that is Trenitalia and the schedules aren't loaded yet.

>>>I was infomed ( by the Swiss Railways ) that the timetable for the Italian trains will change between Sunday 16th Dec
and Monday 17th.<<<

I don't believe that is correct. Current schedules run though Dec. 8. Trains aren't listed for Dec. 9 so that is when they should change.
Sep 29th, 2012, 06:08 AM

All of Europe's timetables change on the 2nd Sunday on June and December, which means this coming 9 December.

The normal 90 days ALWAYS gets squeezed as they are ALWAYS late loading the data for the new timetable period.

For dates after 9 December:

- French Railways will open for bookings 11 October.

- German railways & City Night Line will open 16 October.

- Thello (Paris-Italy sleepers) should open for bookings 11 October.

- Spanish and Italian reservations may open as late as the first few days of November, judging from last year.

- Eurostar unaffected, they'll maintain their 120 day horizon over the chnage, good on 'em.

- Thalys too are reported as having none of thes eproblems.