Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why Am I Wasting My Time Studying the Local Language and History?

Mar 20th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Misguided

I am preparing for a trip to Europe this spring. Based on the postings on this forum, I now see that I'm wasting my time studying the language and history of the country I'll be visiting. It looks like I should be devoting all of my time and money to worrying about my wardrobe, because what's really important is the length of my trousers, the color of my socks, what hat I wear, and whether my toes are visible. I certainly want to be accepted by the locals, so I from now on I'll quit trying to conjugate verbs and just buy more black clothes so I'll blend in. Thanks for enlightening me.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:00 PM
happy

You're welcome. Shut up.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Fran

Misguided.
I totally agree with your statement. I have been off and on this site for about two years and it seems there is alot more of what should I wear etc. questions. I do ignore them but let's face it, it does get boring. The true travel questions are few and far between. I do love the site but Misguided has a point.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:30 PM
elvira

I'm with Misguided and Fran on this one. There's a guy standing right behind me, gun at the back of my head, forcing me to read this forum; gosh I wish the posts were more interesting, seeing as how I have to read them or face sure death.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:40 PM
pam

Misguided:
You have not been doing your forum homework properly.
Recently in many threads it was explained that black (although most suitable for evening and certainly more easy to coordinate other items with) is certainly not worn during the daytime by most chic Parisiens.
Your next assignment is to learn about all the different types of comfort walking shoes, starting with eccos and mephistos.
It really does pay to know these things. Anyone can buy a phrase and guide book and learn about a country's language and culture but to truly feel a part of the country you are visiting, it is essential to know how to not obtain blisters on the first day so you can't walk and see anything of interest.
Glad to see you understood your first assignment. Yes, clothes are far more important than grammar.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Capo

Au contraire, I don't think that studying the local language is a waste of time at all. You should at least know enough of the local language so that you can ask natives: "Even though I'm wearing black clothing can you still tell I'm an American?" :~)

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Magellan

Yes, Misguided, you are correct. Forget the language and history lessons. Always remember that your ultimate goal should be to blend in so well that you can come home and brag to your friends that a real live European stopped and asked you for directions.

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Hiho

Repeat after me:

Capris are in, Jeans are out
Tunics are in, Sneakers are out
Black is in, Baseball caps are out
YSL is in, T shirts are out.

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Jean

Tout à fait, vous êtes vachement malavisée! Comme Antoine St-Exupery a dit, "l'essential, c'est dans la couture".

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Capo

Thanks Hiho. Are tunics better than one?

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:25 PM
StCirq

Jean: Are you sure it wasn't "...c'est dans la couleur"? That's how we learned it in fashion school.

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Rex

Here ya go - - Verb conjugation and fashion miminalism combined, tout en suite.

Reflexive verbs and present tense, regular -ir verbs.

Je me noircis
Tu te noircis.
Il se noircit.
Nous nous noircissons.
Vous vous noircissez.
Ils se noircissent.

Meilleurs voeux,

Rex

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:43 PM
anon

Fashion is so lame. It preys on peoples insecurities and inflates egos. People concerned with fashion are obsessed with their own appearance. They have nothing else to offer. What's sad is so many of them forget that like a bag of Chips-A-Hoy cookies, they have an expiration date that has already passed. No European is going to stop their life to apraise your fashion sense. Your life must be empty and void of anything meaningful if you concern yourself with what others will think of you. Turn on the tv, put a frozen dinner in the microwave, get on the internet and visit this board and fantasize about escaping from your dull, boring existence. Run to the mall and buy something black and comfort yourself with thoughts of how chic you really are.

Mar 20th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Yves

Anon, why be so hard on fashion and people who enjoy it? It can be fun, an art form, like theatre.

Didn't you ever enjoy dress-up as a kid, or expressing yourself with your clothes as a teenager? Some people still do, so lighten up!

(P.S. Elvira and Capo, you're so witty, thanks for the LOLs!)

Mar 20th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Kelsey

Anonymous criticizing is so lame. It preys on peoples insecurities and pumps up absent self-esteem. People concerned with lampooning the less experienced travelers here are obsessed with their own hot air. They have nothing else to offer. What's sad is so many of them forget that like a thesaurus full of vitriolic adjectives, the pages of their lives are printed on onion skin paper. No Fodorite is going to stop their life to appraise your invectives. Your life must be empty and void of anything meaningful if you concern yourself with what others will think of you write here. Turn on your eight-track tape player, put your head in the microwave, dream about understanding how to properly use the internet and visit this board and fantasize about escaping from your dull, boring existence. Run to the mall and buy some nihilist literature and comfort yourself with thoughts of how introverted you really are.

Mar 20th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Capo

RuPaul once said: "We're born naked. All the rest is drag."

Everything we choose to wear is, in some sense, a "costume", whether it's a t-shirt and jeans, a dress, a pink jogging outfit, or a suit & tie.

Mar 20th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Sue

You are all missing the point entirely. It's not all about fashion; it's about what to pack, which is very travel-related. I had one vacation soured with the wrong shoes and I don't want that to happen again. I want to take the right clothes that will fit all occasions so I can bring one carry-on suitcase so I can enjoy my train experience. I also want to learn as much about where I am going and how to speak the language as possible. It's a complete package that enables me to enjoy my vacation. Who in their right mind wants to experience being asked to leave a church because you aren't dressed appropriately? Not me.

Mar 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
anon

Kelsey - imitation is the highest form of flattery - but it's still imitation.