Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Why all the Stans? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/why-all-the-stans-194499/)

Stan Oct 5th, 2001 10:05 AM

Why all the Stans?

KazakhSTAN, KyrgyzSTAN, TajikiSTAN, TurkmeniSTAN, UzbekiSTAN, AfghanaSTAN, PakiSTAN. Just wondering why all the STANS? Anyone know the answer?

xxx Oct 5th, 2001 10:10 AM

Stan means "I dare you to pronounce this."

Richard Oct 5th, 2001 10:14 AM

My understanding is it means "land of".

Rex Oct 5th, 2001 10:18 AM

Surely it means "land" or country - - no different than EngLAND, ScotLAND, NetherLANDs, FinLAND, DeutschLAND, ThaiLAND and so on. <BR> <BR>Whoops - - and I forgot - - DisneyLAND!! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

ingrid Oct 5th, 2001 10:27 AM

According to the Indo-European Etymology Dictionary at Leiden University, NL, http://iiasnt.leidenuniv.nl/ied/ <BR> <BR>-stan has the following meanings: <BR> <BR>Church Slavic: stanú `camp' <BR>Russian: stan `figure, torso, camp' <BR>Czech: stan `tent' <BR>Slovak: stan `tent <BR> <BR>Indo-European reconstruction: steh2-no- <BR> <BR>Other cognates: Skt. sthƒ´na- `abode, place' [n] <BR> <BR>Hope that helps!

Capo Oct 5th, 2001 10:41 AM

Two of my favorite countries are Laurelstan and Kubrickstan.

Lutz Oct 5th, 2001 10:48 AM

I understand that Tanya Harding is making a comeback, but the U.S. Olympic committee has banned her for life. <BR> <BR>So she has decided to skate for Skankistan.

Book Chick Oct 5th, 2001 10:52 AM

I thought originally it was all part of Poland & then things started to get broken up, so each Stan got his own region. I'm wrong? <BR>BC

Jack Tripper Oct 5th, 2001 10:57 AM

And then there's Roperstan and Musialstan.

Capo Oct 5th, 2001 11:10 AM

Jack, Musialstan might be an interesting place to live, but I'm afraid there might be a lot of hitting and slugging going on all the time in that country.

dan woodlief Oct 5th, 2001 11:32 AM

From what I remember, Richard is right on this one ("land of").

mjs Oct 5th, 2001 11:34 AM

What about Hotdogstan and Lemonadestan?

Cindy Oct 5th, 2001 11:38 AM

One of my favorite movies was "Stan By Me."

my story Oct 5th, 2001 12:41 PM

Had a very bad boss with that name. Can barely say the word/name out loud. Consoled myself that he was only one letter removed from sAtan. <BR>

John G Oct 5th, 2001 01:48 PM

Cindy, remember the Tammy Wynette song, Stan By Your Man???? Well, I don't know about you, but I don't want Stan anywhere near MY man.....

Escritora Oct 5th, 2001 02:37 PM

Popeye just called. He's been reading this thread, and FYI it seems he's stood alls he can stan, and he can't stan no more.

Robin Oct 6th, 2001 11:37 AM

Consider how silly these wouls ound: <BR> <BR>KazakhOLLIE <BR>KyrgyzOLLIE <BR>TajikiOLLIE <BR>TurkmeniOLLIE <BR>UzbekiOLLIE <BR>AfghanaOLLIE <BR>PakiOLLIE <BR> <BR>I rest my case. <BR> Just wondering why all the STANS? Anyone know the answer?

Joanne Oct 6th, 2001 02:12 PM

Yes, it just means "land of." <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, most of those countries are artificial political creations and aren't the land of just one people. <BR> <BR>For instance, when the British were moving out of India in the 1940s, they created Pakistan, which originally was divided into East Pakistan and West Pakistan, out of the Muslim regions, and the Hindu regions became India, which also had never before existed as one unified country. The very name of Pakistan is actually an acronym of the ethnic groups it included! <BR> <BR>http://www.slam33.freeserve.co.uk/pakistan.htm <BR> <BR>In the early 1970s, East Pakistan, tired of being overshadowed and exploited by West Pakistan, rebelled and after a very messy war, became independent Bangladesh. <BR> <BR>Even so, Pakistan is a reluctant federation of groups that traditionally haven't gotten along. One of them, the Pashtuns, are also heavily represented in Afghanistan and most of the Taliban are Pathan (Pashtuns), who get lots of support (financial etc.) from Pakistan. <BR> <BR>Other ethnic groups in Afghanistan, including Uzbeks and Tajiks, are descended from Turks, and fled INTO Afghanistan early in the twentieth century, when the Soviet Union was overtaking their regions and persecuting Muslims. So of course, they are in the north and have more allegiances to the Stans to the north. <BR> <BR>So that's the story of Pakistan and Afghanistan, and the other Stans are just as messy. To keep this on-topic: You don't want to travel there right now.

stan'sfan Oct 6th, 2001 03:09 PM

With no disrepect to the serious replies -- thanks to the rest of you for making me laugh out loud -- haven't done much laughing the last few weeks. <BR> <BR>:-)

pickens Oct 7th, 2001 07:08 AM

Thanks Joanne for the informative comments. I figured I better read it before the Fodors police removed it. <BR> <BR>By the way, has anyone been to Bookstan or Newstan? I hear their inhabitants are quiet intellectual!! ;-)