Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Who's going to London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whos-going-to-london-201030/)

Missy Apr 16th, 2002 01:18 PM

Who's going to London?

I just wanted to see how many people are going to London at the end of April besides me (and my sis). And what are you going to see first when you get there? We're probably going to Camden Market for shopping and stopping by at Nando's Chickenland for food!

Vita Apr 16th, 2002 02:47 PM

Hi, Missy! I'm going to the end of May. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do on my first day and I'm looking forward to reading other responses. I'll be staying on Belgrave Road so I'll might take a walk around Westminster or go to Primrose Hill for a view of London. Will probably do a pub walk with London Walks in the evening. So excited. Woohoo!

harvey Apr 16th, 2002 04:43 PM

I am leaving for London on Apr 29 for a week. I'm going alone and just plan to wander and go to lots of museums. Have a great trip! I'll see some of the main sights: Tower, Westminister, St Pauls etc. and ride around on the buses. So much to see in 7 days.

Shannon Apr 16th, 2002 05:17 PM

Hi Missy,<BR><BR>My mom and I are going to be in London at the end of April. This will be my third time in London, for my mom though, her first trip so I'm excited for her to see London. Our first day in London we are planning to take a tour of Westminster Abbey and sightsee around the Westminster area. The first afternoon we plan on some shopping at Harrods. We have an itinerary drafted and are leaving in plenty of room for being spontaneous. Have a great trip!

Dale Apr 16th, 2002 06:33 PM

Hello, I'll be arriving on the 25th of this month & will do a London Walk of Old Westminster at 2pm. I've seen the area before, but never with a guide, so hope to learn something new.

Leslie Apr 17th, 2002 06:25 AM

Hi Missy,<BR>I'm going to London the last weekend in April. I'll only be there for 2 1/2 days (I've been working in Aberdeen, Scotland for a few months), but it is my first visit so I'm going to try to see as much as I can. I've got tickets to see The Lion King and Kiss Me, Kate (easy to order online at Ticketmaster.co.uk). I'm also planning to take a hop-on, hop-off bus tour to get an overview of the major sights. I'm so excited!

Julie Apr 17th, 2002 06:36 AM

I'll be going to London towards the end of May. Although I've been several times, this time I will be bringing my mother (think another poster said something similar!) and am every excited about sharing this special city with her. Besides it being her first time to London it's also her first trip abroad. I'm trying to come up with a mix of things to do - old & new - and still leave some free time for relaxing...just having a hard time finding the free time...sure there are other travellers who can empathize. With London sometimes I feel like the kid whose eyes are too big for their stomach...but what a sweet dilema. Counting down!

julie Apr 17th, 2002 09:05 AM

Have been to London dozens of times over the years. However, last time we took a "London walking tour" (book at the train stations..and meet there) and we saw aspects of Westminister that I didn't know EXISTED. A great way to experience London. Our guide was American, actually, and he stepped lively.! Wear good walking shoes.

CT Apr 17th, 2002 09:37 AM

I will be in London the beginning of June. The first thing I will do is check into my room and then walk across Baywater Rd and stroll through Kensington Gardens.

sonya Apr 17th, 2002 10:03 AM

I'm travelling to London on April 25th with my husband and two young teens - It's the first trip to England for the kids and my second. I'm still trying to figure out what we should eliminate from our impossible itinerary and we leave in a week....We have two weeks in England altogether.

Myer Apr 17th, 2002 10:29 AM

Arriving from Rome. London is our connection to South Florida.<BR> <BR>We'll be in London for 3 days mid-May.<BR><BR>Since first full day will be Saturday, Portobello Market starts the day. Depending upon weather and time some of Kensington Gardens. Then back to Sir John Soane's museum (closed Sunday and Monday). Then make our way in the direction of Trafalgar Sq. Continue towards the Palace. Scheduled to be at Harrods between 4 and 5PM until closing.<BR><BR>Sunday. British Museum, Library. To Trafalgar Sq and national Gallery and Portrait Gallery. Depending upon weather go towards Hyde Park and the Park. Some shopping of stores open Sunday. Ending with Jack the Ripper Walk.<BR><BR>Monday. Start at Tower Bridge. Walk to Monument, thru streets to Museum of London, ending at St Paul's. Double Decker to Westminster, Banqueting House. Probably some shopping. End the trip with 6th row tickets to My Fair Lady.<BR><BR>

Drew Apr 17th, 2002 10:57 AM

I'll be arriving at LGW Monday around 7 am!!! After the gatwick express, and a cab to the hotel, we're going to jump on the Big Bus tour, and ride a bit - hopefully stopping at Westminster (taking a tour), and St. Pauls (ditto). If we can knock those to "big sights" off our agenda, it will free up another day for aimless wandering, parks, etc. <BR><BR>The only "firm" things on the itienary are dinner at The Ivy then The Lion King, and dinner at Rules, then The Full Monte.<BR><BR>My first trip, taking my parents, my wife has been before. We are in London until Friday morning, when we take the Eurostar to Paris for 4 days there.<BR><BR>First time in Paris for all of us!<BR><BR>Bon Voyage!

Susan Apr 17th, 2002 11:00 AM

Going May 31st, will be staying with a friend in Wembley and I intend to overdose on art. Plan on going to the Tate, the Tate Modern, the BM, the National Gallery, the Courtauld, the Sir John Sloan. Will come up for air to go to Greenwich. Will also go to see Twelfth Night at the Globe, the proms at Royal Albert Hall and La Boheme at Covent Garden.

janis Apr 17th, 2002 11:23 AM

Well if all of you plan to be here I guess I will go down to Brighton for the month and leave the town to all of you lovely sorts.

erica Apr 17th, 2002 12:58 PM

i'm going to London in July, what is Nando's Chickenland? is that a must visit restaurant?

Jelly Apr 17th, 2002 01:46 PM

Not fair--I want to go, too!!!!! I love London and you are all making me want to just cry! I have about half of what I need saved up to make the trip, so maybe by next Christmas I will be able to go. You all be sure and write trip reports for those of us at home, okay?

Alex Apr 17th, 2002 08:22 PM

Doing one week in london in mid-May, then one week on the southeast. only a month away,b ut it seems like it will be an eternity before i leave.

Paul Apr 17th, 2002 11:29 PM

I'll be arriving on April 25th at Heathrow, but after getting a car(OMG) I'll head for two days in Nottingham, two days in Warwick and two days in Cambridge,(castles and more castles) I'll be back in London to visit the War museums, The Tower, The nightlife, and then off to France! Oh my......so much to see, so little time! First time to Europe, and by myself!!

ggrant Apr 18th, 2002 05:10 AM

YES, I got that Delta special Atl to London Gatwick for the Middle of May, good fare AND 25,000 ffmile bonus. Enough to visit my son in Maui around the holidays. I will arrive at 655am and take the Gatwick express to Victoria, then try to grab an 845am tour to Hampton Court and Windsor. I will have small rolling backpack only so I can take on the coach and will not have to wait for it at the airport. I have promised myself many times to get to Windsor and Hampton but put off going outside. I will get it done on the first day in a tour so I will not have to think too much. The next morning bright and early off to 3 nights/4 days in the Cotswolds, then back to London for final day, shopping, a museum (not decided) and a play. Saw Full Monty on last trip--fabulous, expensive but worth every pence. I already had a trip to Provence planned for late June, early July so debated about this on spur of moment but it was too good to pass up. I am working extra shifts until then so I won't feel so guilty. I am really excited now.

pj Apr 18th, 2002 06:12 AM

We are planning a trip end of June, I was looking at Go today.com. There is a deal for 930.00 airfare/hotel/transfers/breakfast. The hotel is either Barkston Gardens or Posthouse Kensington Hotel. Can anyone give me some feedback? PJ