Who's been a speck in the London Eye?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Capo

Who's been a speck in the London Eye?

I was watching a Travel Channel show on London last night and one of their "Top 10 Attractions" (at #2) was British Airways' London Eye, apparently quite the attraction for tourists and local alike. I love how delicate it looks, and the the fact that they engineered the pods/modules to be on the outside of the wheel for unobstructed views. Oh, and it's a great name too.

It looks wonderful. Who's been on it and what were your impressions? Thanks!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
janis

3 Times so far and it is wonderful. Sunset on a clear day is my favorite time - but for a first "flight" probably midday on a sunny day would be best since the views are amazing.

Once it was dark and threatening with a very low ceiling and that was beautiful too.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:56 AM
David

I went on it last June and loved it.

My first trip to London in '90 my friend and I lamented that there wasn't a really good place to get above the city and see it. In fact, we inquired at British Telecom if it was possible to go up in their tower. Laughed at, of course. The Tower Bridge is OK, but you don't get that much of a view. St. Paul's is good too, but it's not really very accessible.

I'd really recommend getting tickets in advance. Someone at the time said that it was currently the most popular tourist attraction in England, for what that's worth.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:07 AM
kavey

Moi, 3 times.
LOVE IT.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:11 AM
melissadicicco

I will be going on it next week!
I saw the same show on the Travel Channel, and I fell asleep right before they said what the #1 attraction was. Did anyone see it?
Thanks!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Lori

It's a great "ride". Our "pod" had only about 15 people so there was plenty of room to enjoy the views. We will do it again this spring when back in London.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Capo

Melissa, the program had the Tower of London as the #1 attraction. I don't know what the criteria were, but I presume at least one of them was attendance figures.

The program mentioned that the London Eye was the largest structure ever built horizontally and then lifted into a vertical position.

Also, wasn't it originally supposed to be temporary -- for the Millenium celebration -- but is now permanent?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:28 AM
janis

it was originally planeed to be up five years. It has now been granted planning permission for 25 years.

It is an almost identical story to the Eiffel Tower - lots of protests and controversy before it was erected, granted permission to stay up longer, eventually becomes a beloved symbol of the city.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:06 AM
xxx

How much (in US dollars) is it to take a ride on the London Eye?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Ron

My wife and I were on the London Eye last year and my wife and daughter will be on it again at the beginning of March. I took some photos when we were there and I have posted some of them on my website. (On the London pages.)
http://www.iconnect.net/home/rsumners
(Sorry, I can't resist the opportunity to plug the website.)
We thought it was great and the views are spectacular. It is definitely not "delicate" when you get up close and see how much steel and cable and concrete is used to make it.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:35 AM
John G

I was, and I was one of the first people on it. It was a hair-raising experience.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Grasshopper

Great pictures, Ron. One question, how long does the "ride" last and do you have to stand the entire time? (ok, two questions)

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:58 PM
janis

Grasshopper - the ride takes 30 minutes for the one revolution. The cars are sort of football shaped with an oval wooden bench in the center that allows everyone to sit. You can always tell the first timers - the minute they enter they grab a seat and wait epectantly/nervously for something to happen. Once they realize how slow and smoothly it moves everyone gets up and stays standing the rest of the time. You wander around freely within the car to get the different views and you won't want to sit.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Capo

Thanks for the info, Janis.

Great photos, Ron! I especially love the one with the module hovering over the Thames and the Parliament buildings.

John, what I'd like to know is: was your hair in perfect shape as it was raising? :~)

Here's an article about the London Eye (including charges, times, and directions):

http://www.aboutbritain.com/LondonEye.htm

The program last night mentioned that it was a husband & wife team, David Marks & Julia Barfield, who had the winning entry in the design competition, and I love their metaphor, the wheel as representing the turning of the century.

The program didn't mention what the website does, that it was Julia who found the site, Jubilee Gardens on the South Bank, by drawing a circle around London and finding the exact center.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Lidija

I was on it on a humid rainy evening in May and it was hot in that thing. I remember saying I can't imagine what this thing is like in the summer. I loved it though and would go again any chance I got.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Don

Any idea of what the price is for this attraction?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 02:06 PM
KenCT

Until April 30, it's £9.50 (about $13.50). After that it's £10.50 (about $14.85). Tickets are timed. To avoid long lines, you can always buy advance tickets, but then if the weather is bad, you might want to go on a different day.

The "Same Day" line is usually very long, and your "boarding" will probably be several hours from the time you buy your ticket. I'd suggest that you check out the weather forecast, then go the day before you plan to go and pick up tickets for the following day. The "Next Day" line is usually very short.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Judy

Ken: that is a good idea! We are going the end of March, and I have been debating whether to buy advance tickets from BA's e-tkt site. I think we will play it by ear, and watch the weather, then buy the tkts the day before.
Judy

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 03:06 PM
jpm

Rode it twice, once at night and once during the day - highly recommended both.

It was early April when we rode at night, walked up, bought tickets, and walked right on.

Late October when we rode it during the day. Got there and tickets were available for two hours later so we bought tickets for the next day - first ride.

It cost about $13-15 for adults - and well worth the price. I wouldn't mind going on it again.

jpm

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Wendy

Capo et all;

Dayne and I recently bought a gorgeous coffee table book on the construction of the London Eye at the U of W book store for a friend. If you get a chance I highly recommend taking a peak at it. It has the most amazing pictures! It was in the Engineering Section.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -