Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Whom have you met? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whom-have-you-met-280902/)

cchottel Jan 14th, 2008 06:08 AM

Whom have you met?

Many of us have met other posters to Fodor's Talk and have even formed friendships outside of the bulletin board. I don't consider myself the regular here that many of you are, but I always show up a couple of months prior to my next trip, or sometimes like now, on a whim. So I know that you don't have to be a regular to make that connection.

I have met Cocofromdijon twice and Georgiegirl, who was staying in Coco's flat in Dijon the first time I was there. I still communicate with them both and value their friendships.

Coco, how many people have you -- the unofficial Ambassodor of Dijon -- met from Fodors?

How about the rest of you? Who have you met? Did you meet because you were both on holiday and planned a GTG or was it one of the Fodor European residents?

I travel alone and enjoy my solitude and freedom, but it is also nice to occasionally meet new people, especially those who are residents of the place I'm visiting. I learn more about the culture after just spending an hour or so with a native. It can make a new city feel more inviting. Besides, let's face it, no man, or woman, is an island?

GreenDragon Jan 14th, 2008 07:36 AM

My husband and I had a delightful dinner with Kavey when we were in London in 2005 - she is a local resident there.

KayF Jan 14th, 2008 11:56 AM

My husband and I met up with a nice American couple in Nice over Christmas. She is a regular on SlowTrav and is on Fodors but to a lesser extent. It made our trip more memorable to meet new friends.
Kay

kerouac Jan 14th, 2008 12:02 PM

I have met one person from Fodor's but after encountering her on another travel site.

I expect to meet Coco sooner or later.

tedgale Jan 14th, 2008 02:17 PM

I have met Anselm Adorne from this board. He has come to my house twice, the latter time to retrieve a wonderful Michelin road atlas that he lent me....He is as delightful in person as in e-print.

Carrybean Jan 14th, 2008 02:31 PM

Cubfanalways in London for lunch. Very nice guy & quite a photographer, I suspect.

sallyjane3 Jan 14th, 2008 03:26 PM

Caroline-edinburgh (I don't think that name is spot-on but 'tis close) for drinks and then dinner in Edinburgh in May 2005. Delightfully sweet person who introduced me to the BEST Italian restaurant!

B/c of her wonderful help prior to my landing to Scotland, I was actually able to direct some SCOTS to taxis outside the airport!! Cool.
sal

ElendilPickle Jan 14th, 2008 03:36 PM

We planned GTGs with Cholmondley_Warner in London and julia_t in the Cotswolds last year, and had an absolutely delightful time with both of them.

Stateside, DebitsNM and I had coffee one day, and we just met kodi a couple of weeks ago.

Lee Ann

nancy Jan 14th, 2008 04:59 PM

I met Adrienne thru Fodors when she asked for my Paris trip report (I was there for one month). She got a chuckle out of how many times I went back for New York Sundaes so wrote to me. We then e-mailed back and forth.

We both discovered we have always wanted to go to Malta so signed up for a trip with Grand Circle (fabulous). We got separate rooms because who knew how much we would like each other. We both mostly like independent travel.

We became fast friends and then went to Italy (independent of a tour) for 3 weeks - great!

Last year we went on a tour of Turkey and still enjoy each other's company.

Maybe a fluke that we met up but Fodor's certainly allowed us to do that.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 14th, 2008 05:05 PM

Wow Nancy, that is such a great thing to have happen.

We have had a few local gtgs in our hometown with LarryJ, Sher, and Granmere. All wonderful folks; we enjoyed each meeting. And we saw LarryJ boarding a flight with us to Paris. Or rather, he spotted us. That was fun.

WTnow Jan 15th, 2008 01:19 AM

We do videos around the world of my child playing her violin in key spots. So there I was on a beautiful terrace in the middle of Fes Medina in Morocco when a very nice man asked if we were the soultravelers?

I about fell over. He said something about fodors but I thought he was saying photo...so it took me a minute because I did not expect to meet someone I "knew" in this location.

So that is how I met Clifton and his lovely wife!

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/6...D13597687.html

We also met a woman from slowtravel that we knew from online, when ...out of a ton of people....I unknowingly asked her to take our picture in Florence.

it really is a small world!

Kavey Jan 15th, 2008 03:00 AM

I have met many, many Fodorites... I used to be a lot more active on the Europe board several years back and, since I'm in London, was lucky enough to meet many Fodorites travelling not just to the UK but all over - many had/have itineraries stopping in London. I went to a few GTGs as well that got the numbers up! These days I'm more active on the Africa board, though I still browse the Europe board, I don't post that much. I'm afraid I can't remember names but I remember a few years ago I did a count and it was well over 100 at that point.

hetismij Jan 15th, 2008 04:00 AM

I have met sprin2 and her lovely family, on my son's boat in Friesland.
I hope I'll meet a few more of you one day.

tod Jan 15th, 2008 04:33 AM

On my last Paris trip I did a GTG with Jazzyred (hey where are you these days?) and g33kgrl for drinks at Les Deux Magots followed by dinner the next night at Pharamond.
A few days later I got together with Travgina & ggnga and we had dinner.
Everyone was charming and the time just flew by all too quickly.

This May I might also look around to see who is in Paris in the first week.?

caroline_edinburgh Jan 15th, 2008 04:54 AM

Aw sallyjane3, you are too kind (again) !

As well as the lovely sallyjane3, I've met her fellow Americans jodirb, nita and valerie427; plus Sheila twice in Edinburgh and Mucky & Mrs Muck in Cardiff.

lincasanova Jan 15th, 2008 08:11 AM

I have met Kenderina here in valencia, and images2 in cincinnati, and jgarvey in oak park,illinois.

images and j both live near family of mine so i was lucky to take advantage of a visit this fall and meet up.

i really have enjoyed meeting the few fodorites i have.
hoping to spend some time in the fuure with more of you!

lobo_mau Jan 15th, 2008 08:25 AM

I lost the account on how many fodorites I've met, but I'm sure is above 100 and counting.
Many of them we met on both margins of the Atlantic Ocean.
I have had the luck of meeting Nikki 3 times in different times and in different locations.
I didn't found a single person, about whom I could say I wish I haven't met.

monicapileggi Jan 15th, 2008 08:53 AM

I have met many fodorites (first time in person in Paris May 1999), as well as others from TTG and SlowTalk/SlowTrav. It's so much fun getting together for dinner or drinks while traveling.

I haven't updated my latest GTGs but this is my link (but there were times I didn't capture the GTG on camera - such as my dinner with Kavey in London and a few others):

http://luvtotravel.homestead.com/fodoritescorner.html

Monica ((F))

cova Jan 15th, 2008 10:17 AM

Dear tuscanlifeedit ...

you forgot me !!! Actually, we met through another site, and since then, I believe we have become friends. Maybe this year I should think of meeting the two of you across the pond ... but then, I would have to travel all across the US to meet all the friends. Not enough holidays for that ...

I have also met Graciela a couple of times. They are a really nice couple. There has also been a couple of lovely girls who have since stopped posting in Fodors.

I have also been left standing and waiting for someone to appear, and not a single word afterwards. I forgot their names quickly ;)

Bye, Cova

StCirq Jan 15th, 2008 10:33 AM

I've met at least a couple dozen Fodorites over the years. Been to GTGs in the US and France, had Fodorites visit my home in France, even traveled with Fodorites. Once ran into a couple in a restaurant in Bayeux who overheard something I was saying that clued them into the fact that I was a Fodorite, and they came over to my table and introduced themselves.

Many, many Fodorite interactions here, all wonderful.