Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Who stops to read messages with the header "Has anybody stayed at these hotels?" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/who-stops-to-read-messages-with-the-header-has-anybody-stayed-at-these-hotels-111701/)

Rex Mar 12th, 2001 10:17 AM

Who stops to read messages with the header "Has anybody stayed at these hotels?"

I must be crankier than usual today. I'm gonna stop looking at posts with such uninformative headers. Er... well... at least until I see that they have attracted six answers - - and then, like everyone else I will be intrigued to see what the respondents said! <BR> <BR>I suppose some will say that Fodors is partly to blame - - they don't actually tell a new "post-er" (contributor? one who posts) to include information about the GEOGRAPHIC location of the place for which you are seeking information. <BR> <BR>But this is starting to stick in my craw - - like "il ne dit pas meme &lt;&lt;bonjour&gt;&gt;!" <BR> <BR>Oh well, I got that off my chest, for the time being. <BR>

Danna Mar 12th, 2001 10:21 AM

I do, occasionally I do know about the hotel and can answer... If not I move on.

Patrick Mar 12th, 2001 10:22 AM

Gee, Rex, I usually do. Maybe it's just a morbid curiosity -- I wonder if one of my favorite hotels will be mentioned and I can comment. Since I travel in all countries of Europe, it really doesn't make any difference to me whether the location is mentioned or not. No matter what country the poster mentioned, I'd still be checking the post. <BR>Now posts like, "travel advice" or "when to go" or "should I go?" are another matter.

Monica Mar 12th, 2001 11:13 AM

Interesting question. Yes, like Patrick, I too am interested in knowing if my favorite hotel, restaurant, place, etc. is being mentioned. There are times that I can’t respond (not familiar with the question), but I do look. Besides, it only takes a few seconds to read the question make up my mind to either respond or move on.

Ess Mar 12th, 2001 11:17 AM

Usually not. Only if I have a lot of time to kill goofing off on this forum, which I don't, but manage to waste a significant portion of my day here anyway. I'm like a secret gambler or something. Got to get my little fix.

qqq Mar 12th, 2001 11:26 AM

I almost always look at those postings. After all your hotel is your home away from home and if you live in a nice house, why spend big bucks to go on a vacation to stay in a dump. <BR> <BR>I find threads like"what kind of car do you drive, how much money do you make, what do you do" rather stupid and I pass those by.

Judy Mar 12th, 2001 11:32 AM

Sometimes I do Rex, and other times I usually scroll right by. Not a very definitive answer, but there it is. It depends on my mood too. I sometimes like to read controversial posts, such as "looking for a female companion" or "Bad Brits" or "snotty French"or my fav. "ugly Americans" and threads like that. They usually get really interesting, and sometimes down right nasty. Judy

Rex Mar 12th, 2001 11:50 AM

I don't know if I made my point clearly or not. I just wish they would say "Has anybody had recent experience with these hotels _in Rome_ or _in Helsinki_ or _in wherever_. Maybe it wouldn't really influence my decision to stop and read, since I stop and read about 90% of the board anyway. <BR> <BR>I just felt like spouting off, I guess. <BR>

xxx Mar 12th, 2001 12:15 PM

I guess the answer to Rex's question depends upon what the Fodors site is all about. Is it only for chatter among travel snobs who are trying to one-up each other about how much they know and how much more sophisticated they are than everyone else, or (shudder the think)is it a venue where one might go to try to get valuable (?) information about travel to places from those who already have been there. Seems to me that only the old posts have information for those in the latter category, and the current posts are populated significantly by those in the former.

Deb Mar 12th, 2001 06:23 PM

My wish is that they would post the name of hotel in the title so I know when scrolling if I have a response. Even if there are three or four hotels it will fit in the header. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, it has been bugging me for quite some time.

StCirq Mar 12th, 2001 06:31 PM

I don't read them unless they specify a place in the title....unless I'm home with the flu, in which case I read everything imaginable.

Bob Brown Mar 12th, 2001 06:39 PM

I look if it sounds like I might learn something helpful to me, or on the rare chance I might know the answer and be able to help someone else. <BR>I get a lot of help from the forum. <BR>The whole idea crashes if we don't share what we know.

Andrea Mar 12th, 2001 08:32 PM

I'm with ya, man. <BR> <BR>I never read those posts (no city name mentioned) because I've only been to Europe a couple of times, so the chances of me being able to answer are slim. There are so many other people on this forum w. more extensive travel exp. in Europe that I don't bother. <BR> <BR>I do open them if the city name is mentioned, however (and it's a city I've been to). Sadly, so far it's never been a hotel I've stayed in . . .