Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who returns to just one European country and why?

Oct 6th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

I heard someone once say here that traveling to another country without knowing the language is like traveling just on a lark. I'm not sure about that but some people are drawn to only one country. Perhaps a person falls in love with just one place? Who here has come to specialize in just one European country and why?
Oct 6th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Hello Giselle~
I wanted to go to England all my life and once I had gone there, I loved it so, it took several trips before I could be talked into going somewhere else
England feels like home to me. I am comfortable there, maybe the language but also the people and the place. Of course, I love the history and the buildings and most things about Great Britian.
Then we went to Paris and I fell in love with all things Parisian.
The buildings, the food and just that gorgeous city..
I think the best of both worlds would be if I could live in England and visit France whenever I wanted to ~
Oct 6th, 2004, 09:01 PM

We're breaking out a bit this year and trying to be really experimental. It's very easy to fall for one country, or even two and want to go back for all the "right" reasons. Those reasons being that you're getting everything you want out of a holiday.

For us, de-stressing is a major objective and when you go back to a place you know, you aren't stressing over the trip so much. But I kind of think a lark is not without it's own rewards, and if can you take a trip and put aside the worries, I think you can relax just as much someplace new - even someplace that's a bit of a challenge. This trip is going to challenge us more than we're used to, I'm sure. It would have been easier to go back to either Ireland or Australia, no doubt. But I'm only occasionally finding myself doting over "what ifs" and we've accepted that this indy trip is really different for us. Curiosity is almost as strong a motivator as desire for comfort, so I guess we're just looking forward to the lark. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing...
if not now, when?
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:45 AM

Here is a long-term reply, subject to my feet recovering. Romania because I have a friend there, and much still to see. Berlin because the politics and music are so active there, I speak German, and there are no frills flights from Stansted. Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary because they are cheap and making great progress.

[email protected]
Oct 7th, 2004, 08:49 AM

We keep returning to France, partly because I can navigate in the language and the fact that we have friends in Provence. We used to go to Britain, but in recent years the cost-versus-value equation has come down heavily on the side of France. Hotels and good meals are still quite affordable.
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:49 PM

I keep returning to Italy because of so many people there I miss so much and so I want to see them and they want to see me. Also I love Italy.
However, because each region of Italy is so different it always feels that I go to different countries. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but perhaps it does to those that know the different regions of Italy.
Even in a region, things are different from city to city or small town to small town. If my budget for travel was unlimited I would go to many other countries, but alas it is not unlimited so I go to Italy for all the joy it gives me.
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:06 PM

DH and I have absolutely fallen in love with Italy: the people, the language, the food and wine, the scenery, the history, and so many other reasons. We're planning our third trip for next summer. We have also taken trips to Austria and Germany, which we really enjoyed, but I don't long for them the same way. We talk about trying new places, but Italy's allure is just too strong for us to resist.

LoveItaly, I totally get what you're saying about so many regional differences. I have about six more Italy trips planned out in my head, each one a completely different experience.

Clifton, where are you going?
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:13 PM
cindiloowho

We love Portugal, for lots of reasons, and while we have been almost everywhere in the world (except Hawaii) I will go to Portugal anyday, given a choice...nice people, great variety of culture and terrain, most speak English, lots of history, and the Posada....to mention a few.

Oct 7th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Dear Mr Haines..I hope your feet recover fully and you are off to all your favorite countries soon
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:33 PM

France is the one country that we cannot stay away from for long. After 3 successive trips there, we "forced" ourselves to visit Switzerland, Austria, Ireland, England, Germany and Italy. And as much as we have enjoyed the other countries, we ultimately feel that nowhere is France. The food, culture, art, architecture, natural beauty plus our grasp of basic French and dear friends in Paris draw us back every year.
Oct 7th, 2004, 05:30 PM

It would have to be England since I love London so much. However, I have no problem visiting other countries as my goal is to see as much of this planet as I can. London is a great jumping off point for a lot of great side trips. I can get my London fix and still see new places. I have enjoyed every place I have been. Getting ready for my 4th trip to Europe in the last 12 months. So many places to go!
Oct 7th, 2004, 08:54 PM

I went on a 3 wk tour to Europe and visited 8 countries. I fell in love with Italy (& their gelato). I was drawn to the culture, the history, and the beauty of the countryside. In May, I am going back for two weeks and taking my husband since he didn't get to go the first time (we weren't married yet). We will spend one week in Tuscany and 5 days in Rome.

Another country on our to visit list is Switzerland. I thought the lakes were so beautiful & I felt so relaxed there. We are planning that trip for 2006.
Oct 7th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Hi Jocelyn. I guess I left that part off (for once!).

We're going to get a car and tool around parts of Romania and eastern Hungary, sort of on a non-itinerary/non-reservation basis. I guess in reality, it's not a terribly challenging trip for a lot of people. More so than other parts of Europe, but nothing daunting to someone such as Mr. Haines, I'm sure, nor in comparison to, say, treks in Uzbekistan. Still, it's bit of the unknown for us and that seems like a good thing right now.