Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who posted that Riviera was their favorite restaurant in Venice?

Jun 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

In my recent trip report (My First Taste of Donkey) I mistakenly credited Franco with the reccommendation of Ristorante Riviera in Venice, which we loved. I usually keep track of the poster's name in my notes so I can thank anyone who's reccommendation turned out especially well. I looked at my notes, copied out of numerous Fordor's posts, and here is the quote:

"It's no secret, Ristorante Riviera is my all-time, favorite place to eat in Venice. San Basilio vaporetto stop. It began as a Cipriani ex-patís dream and that dream passed on to Luca, Rivieraís original, well-known maître d', and his lovely, talented wife, Monica Scarpa, whose expertise in the kitchen rivals some of Veniceís top names. Tel: 041-522-7621, Fondamenta Zattere Ponte Lungo Ė 1473, (San Basilio), €70. (highly recommended) On a gorgeous day, Ristorante Riviera occupies a waterfront patio, a precious piece of sunny Zattere real estate, where their tablecloths and canopy-of-white gently flutters in the Giudecca breeze. Simply tell Luca (his English is limited) your palate pleasures and let him dazzle you with his wifeís specialties. You canít go wrong."

Anyone want to claim credit for this? We loved this place so much we returned a second night!
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Jed

Is this it?

http://p099.ezboard.com/feuropetogof...picID=90.topic
Jun 12th, 2007, 08:02 AM

What a great article! Thanks for posting it.
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes! Thank you Jed! NYCtravelsnob does post here and perhaps in one of his posts he linked me to this article. The words fit what I pasted into my notes.

This is a great article and I've paid close attention to many of NYCtravelsnob's posts but I have to say, I was deeply offended by an older post I read by him just yesterday, while trying to find this quote. He said he something about people who don't drink wine can't know anything about fine dining and he would never listen to the opinion about food or dining from someone who didn't drink wine.

I guess he's not kidding when he calls himself a snob. But I have to say, this is more than snobbery, it's ignorance!

Many people don't drink wine, for various reasons,(myself included) and still know quite a bit about food and fine dining. My palate is extremely fine tuned and educated and my knowledge of food and cooking and the fine dining experience is enormous. It's just silly to think that because someone doesn't drink wine they can't be trusted to mke a restaurant reccommendation or to know anything about good food.
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

and I just realized he might be a she...