Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Who knows what became of Eloise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/who-knows-what-became-of-eloise-286532/)

franco Jan 17th, 2008 04:26 PM

Who knows what became of Eloise?

This is a posting I have been wanting to write for a long time. Seasoned Fodorites will no doubt remember Eloise. She was always around, she knew just about everything on all topics Italian, but she was much more than only an extraordinarily knowledgeable poster and an elegant writer: she was wise like not many people are, here or in real life.
To cut a long story short: I'm missing both her knowledge and her esprit, and I think it's a loss for this forum that she's not participating anymore. Her last posting, as far as I can see, dates from February 19th, 2007, and she didn't seem to be well. Quoting from what she wrote then (some Fodorites had already asked where she had been): "I’ve been lurking, on and off, but not posting. Why? Because it’s been below -15 C for weeks and weeks, which has made me extremely grumpy. Whenever I started a post, it came out very mean-spirited and disagreeable. (...) Please do keep up the conversation, and when (if?) it thaws, presumably so shall I and I shall rejoin the human race."

Does anybody know anything about her, and why she didn't rejoin us so far, even in summer, when it must have thawed even in Canada? Actually, I'm worried whether she's fine! Or did she just change her screen name? (But I don't recognize her individual style.) Eloise!!! Are you listening??

111op Jan 17th, 2008 05:07 PM

I'm not sure how she's doing, but we had a few e-mail exchanges when I planned a very rushed trip to Italy over Labor Day weekend in 2005.

Indeed she is very knowledgeable. I think she was the one who told me about the Gozzoli frescoes in Florence. I made an effort to see them and I remember being really delighted with them. She also translated the menu at Le Calandre for me (after the meal).

I thought that I'd seen her participate more recently than Feb. 2007 though. But I could be wrong as I myself haven't been following this forum much.

TexasAggie Jan 17th, 2008 05:14 PM

I too have been wondering about Eloise. I hope she is well. I wonder if some of the posters who have been on Fodors longer than I have her personal contact info and might be able to check in on her. By the time I found Fodors 4 years ago, most of the posters had already ceased sharing email addresses and the like.

Traviata Jan 18th, 2008 03:41 AM

Hi franco,

Yes, I have noticed she has been silent for awhile...as has nessundorma...another wealth of information..I can't seem to find any recent posts from either one.

franco Jan 18th, 2008 04:29 AM

Traviata, hello! You're of course right, nessundorma's absence is a sad loss, as well, and I've noticed it, too.

111op, you obviously had her email address in 2005, at least - maybe you have it still and could contact her? That would be fine!

111op Jan 18th, 2008 04:43 AM

I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure which e-mail account I used to communicate with her. I typically use an anonymous e-mail account unless I really know someone. The problem with the anonymous e-mail accounts is that I stopped checking them for a while because I got busy and Hotmail deleted all my e-mails after a period of inactivity. Also I have several e-mail accounts because I don't want people to be able to trace me too easily.

I can try to check, but I'm going away this weekend.

For what it's worth, I think she's fine though. Perhaps she will check in with us soon.

franco Jan 18th, 2008 10:28 AM

Perhaps you could be so kind to check, 111op, after coming home from your trip - first whether she'll have rejoined us by then, and if not, whether you can retrace her email address? Thanks!

Anybody else?

111op Jan 18th, 2008 12:59 PM

Ok, franco, I'll take a look at my accounts.

Eloise, if you're reading this, but you don't want to post for some reason, maybe you could write me to let me know you're ok so that I can report to the group? I promise discretion. I'll check all the e-mail accounts I have, but as I said, I really can't recall which one I used to correspond with Eloise.

Thanks!

I'm leaving soon. I'll check back on Tuesday most likely unless I get bored during my trip. :-)

annhig Jan 18th, 2008 01:12 PM

Hi franco,

in order to return the favours you have done me, though i don't know eloise, i searched for her name on this forum - her last post seems to be on your "favourite Venetiona sightseeing" thread around 28th November last year - so perhaps she's just taking a break.

regards, ann

111op Jan 18th, 2008 01:18 PM

As I mentioned earlier, I seem to recall that I had read something from her more recently also. It's good that Ann is confirming this thinking. I just haven't had the time to check. I do think that she's fine though.

franco Jan 18th, 2008 01:23 PM

Ann, thank you, but... the posting you're referring to is from Nov. 2006, not last year. I'm pretty sure that she hasn't been here since Feb. 2007 - having of course clicked on her name and done much research in the "most recent" 50 threads thus appearing.

SusanP Jan 18th, 2008 01:32 PM

franco, I've also been wondering where Eloise is. She always had so much great information. Hope to see her back here soon.

StuDudley Jan 18th, 2008 02:05 PM

She got real nasty with me once - and with another person on the same thread who came to my rescue. Fodors even deleted her remarks.

From franco's post >> "I’ve been lurking, on and off, but not posting. Why? Because it’s been below -15 C for weeks and weeks, which has made me extremely grumpy. Whenever I started a post, it came out very mean-spirited and disagreeable. (...) Please do keep up the conversation, and when (if?) it thaws, presumably so shall I and I shall rejoin the human race."<<

It makes me wonder if she is OK. She is very informative about Italy.

Stu Dudley

bobthenavigator Jan 18th, 2008 03:35 PM

I too have missed her.She had been a long term poster and was excellent.

111op Jan 18th, 2008 05:04 PM

I'm at the airport and killing time since my flight is delayed. But I've found her e-mail and I sent this message to her:

"Hi, it's been a while. I hope you've been well. People on Fodor's (in particular Franco) are asking about you. Please drop a note there or e-mail me and I can let people know you're ok!"

However this is her e-mail address from 9/2005. I don't know if it has changed since.

I'll keep you posted.

Enjoy your weekend!

franco Jan 18th, 2008 05:45 PM

Oh, wonderful! Thank you so much!

TexasAggie Jan 18th, 2008 05:59 PM

Thanks 111op!
Hope you have a nice weekend and trip!

Eloise Jan 19th, 2008 05:19 AM

Franco and everyone, Many thanks for your (mostly) kind words and concern about my health.

Grumpiness is rarely terminal; it only lessens one’s inclination to proffer helpful advice about how to get from Fiumicino to central Rome (or about anything else). So I shall fade quietly back into the woodwork again…

Holly_uncasdewar Jan 19th, 2008 05:42 AM

Welcome back, Eloise. Please stick around. As you can see, you've been missed. Hope all's well.

franco Jan 19th, 2008 06:48 AM

Eloise, hello! So glad to see you posting. I hope to meet you more often again!