Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who has ridden the bus from Nice Airport to Villefranche?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the postings about the 98 bus from the airport to Nice and the 100 bus from Nice to Villefranche and am pretty much convinced that I'll get to my hotel that way. What I have not read is: how easy is it to get a couple of pieces of luggage aboard the bus? Is there a storage area on the busses for luggage so other passengers are not tripping over the bags? Thanks.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM

I did the Villefranche- Nice bus leg when I used Villefranche as my base, several times last summer. The bus was just like a "regular" bus- not much storage space, but people bring all kinds and sizes of stuff on board! It is a very short trip- and also might depend on the time of year. I was there in July, when it was most crowded.

Another question is: where is your hotel? By the water? The bus station is at the "top", and some of the ways down included stairs- the streets are very steep! It was about a 10- minute walk (once I knew where I was going!)from the bus stop to my lodging along the harbor. I had a backpack- style bag, but a couple of times my daughter struggled with her wheeled larger one wanting to get ahead of us!

The bus and train were so easy and convenient to use. I don't mean this to sound discouraging- just pack light. I ended up having to pay more than 50 euro, with tip, for a taxi from Nice to the airport because my plane left before public transportation started running!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info, sglass. I probably wouldn't have trouble with my wheeled bag, but my wife might. I guess I'll opt for the taxi.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Pwem,

My wife and I and our adult daughter rode the bus from the airport to Nice and had no trouble finding space for our bags. To save some money you could take the bus to Nice and a taxi from there to Villefranche.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

TimS:
Thank you. I just might do that.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Eze

Why take a taxi when, arriving at Nice central bus station, you can just jump in bus nr 100 an ride till Villefranche sur mer.
If not at rush hours (workers and students) you ll find space to lodge your luggages. Cruises passengers also crowd this line 100....
Forget taxis in Nice, they are too expensive. Outside Nice, it's worse.