Reload this Page >

Surviving long flights

Search

Surviving long flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 08:52 AM
kristi

Surviving long flights

A friend of mine is flying from the US to Australia next month and I was thinking of filling up a carry on bag with all the things you need to survive a flight of that duration for her upcoming birthday. <BR> <BR>Some of the things I thought I'd include are bottled water, snacks, eye shade, neck pillow, antibacterial hand soap, books, aspirin, kleenex, toothbrush/paste, gum, handi wipes. <BR> <BR>Anyone else have something they always bring with them to help combat the effects of the flight and boredom?

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 09:49 AM
R

Kristi, <BR> <BR>What a thoughtful friend you are! I don't really have a suggestion of an item to bring but I found my long flight more enjoyable with more leg room. I felt much more comfortable being able to stretch out a bit without disturbing someone else. If one is flying economy this is accomplished by requesting the exit isle seating. No matter how much of a people person one is, being cramped next to one or two people for an extended amount of time can really wear you down. Besides, the exit isle seating allows you quick access to bathrooms and amble room to stand up and stretch your legs which is a blessing on such a long flight. Just a suggestion for your friend.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 09:50 AM
Beth

Maybe a deck of cards or a travel game of some sort? Maybe a guidebook or map for Australia, since reading about the destination always makes the time pass. As far as books go, you might consider a book called "The Fatal Shore", about the early establishment of the penal colonies in Australia. Its really fascinating reading. I can't remember the author, but I bet Amazon has it.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 09:54 AM
kristi

Thanks for the leg room tip R! Can you request exit row seating ahead of time or is it done at the airport? <BR> <BR>Thanks Beth for the other activity ideas. I think my husband has a copy of "Fatal Shores", maybe I'll dig it up and loan it to her.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 10:11 AM
elaine

If she uses a walkman, how about a new tape or CD? <BR>Also, cozy socks or folding slippers so she can take her shoes off.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 10:15 AM
lisa

Most airlines won't let you reserve exit aisle seating in advance but will let you do it at the airport up to two hours before departure. The reasoning I was given that the airport personnel want to see you in person to make sure you could lift the emergency exit doors if you had to, since they are very heavy. <BR>Lots of people like to bring a walkman with CDs or tapes. Crossword puzzles. Small travel journal and pen to write about the trip. Some airlines will let you buy gift certificates to give to people, that are good for a free movie headset or cocktails, etc. <BR>By the way, I recently read a fascinating book about an Australian woman's trek across Australia on camelback. It's autobiographical. I can't remember the author's name but the book is called "Tracks" -- I learned a lot about the Australian outback, aboriginal culture, etc. and really enjoyed it.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 10:24 AM
Sheila

I was also going to mention the socks/slippers thing. And a walkman if she's not taking one for the headphones if nothing else. <BR> <BR>My own kit would comprise <BR>1. Best Guide Book (I usually travel with 3 or 4, blush, blush) <BR>2. Enough novels to get through the flight. <BR>3. Water <BR>4. Bird guide (not a field guide; a "Where to" guide) <BR>5. Notebook <BR>6. Pens <BR>7. Map <BR>8. Hiking socks <BR>9. Walkman- often with language tape depending on destination <BR>10.Language book- depending on destination <BR>11.Wallet <BR>12. Water <BR>13. Passatempo (sunflower seeds or something like that)

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Helena

It's not the most practical, but I'd add a little baggie of those baby carrots to the list, or some easy fruit like apples. There's nothing like munching on something fresh when everyone around you is getting cold cuts, cheese, and desserts made of something that doesn't occur in nature. <BR> <BR>Other than that, I'd say one of those single-use packets of Unisom or some other mild sleeping pill. Many travellers will disagree wtih me, and everyone's body reacts differently to these things. For me, melatonin has no discernible effect, and a little Unisom makes me just drowsy enough so that I can sleep -- which does wonders for me on a transatlantic flight (especially when I'd otherwise miss a night's sleep). <BR> <BR>First and foremost though, the fruit/veggies to munch on during the flight. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 01:21 PM
Tony Hughes

Good Heavens... NASA went to the moon with less equipment. So you are the people that get out of their seats 45 seconds after takeoff to retrieve thie slippers/novel/ointments/unguents etc etc? <BR> <BR>I always hum the classical tune that is used in the 1973 Movie 'Soylent Green' - famous I believe but I am not sure of the title. Either that or a Sex Pistols song. Your head is very resourceful, use that as a first resort. Think of a really funny situation you have been in. Relive that situation and replay those events in your mind. Things like that can keep you amused for hours, hehe.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 04:23 PM
cass

1. I enjoyed N. Roeg's film Walkabout (old, can be found at Blockbusters), based on a book of the same name, although they are different. Perhaps worth seeing before the trip. <BR> <BR>2. While I ESCHEW (bless me)emphatic perfumes for travel, I often use those little foil-packeted towelettes of 4711 cologne or some similarly light, citrusy cologne, to counteract airliner fug. <BR> <BR>3. A book-on-tape, or even better, book-on-CD can be a godsend. I listen to mysteries and humor -- best to pass the time and make you forget where you are.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 04:26 PM
cass

Fug, noun: an odorous emanation: especially, the stuffy atmosphere of a poorly ventilated space.

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 03:20 PM
peg

Don't try to take any of those fruit/veggie munchies into Oz, the sniffer beagle will get you Peg.

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 03:47 PM
Diane

A deck of cards, a good juicy novel, a phrase book, handheld poker machine, foam ear plugs. Once I carried my down pillow through Europe. I brought it for the hotels, but found it most helpful on the flights.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 05:35 AM
kristi

Thanks all for your excellent suggestions. I started compiling the bag this weekend, picked up a 33 cent copy of "Oscar and Lucinda". That should keep her busy for awhile and you can't beat the price. I had never thought to try something like Unisom, I may try that recommendation for my next trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 10:26 AM
lisa

I wouldn't do the Unisom or any sleeping aid other than melatonin (which does work for me) -- IMO many sleeping pills tend to worsen jetlag. A friend swears by turkey sandwiches -- turkey is a natural soporific (can't remember the name of the sleep-inducing enzyme it contains, but apparently all those naps following turkey dinner on Thanksgiving Day are no accident).

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 11:15 AM
cherie

I don't get out of my seat much, but then I am one of those people who can fall alseep anywhere, anytime. I usually take a long book or one having to do with wherever I am about to visit. How about one dealing with OPAL MINES? I would also bring a bit of bottled H2o so I dont have to ask for one or constantly roam over to the lounge. I find long flights boring and unless the people alongside me are interesting to speak with, it seems better just to read and rest up for the trip ahead. The stewards will wake you for some of that lovely food so you have to be able to take short catnaps.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 09:05 AM
KT

This isn't exactly a glamorous gift, but I've started bringing a little spray bottle of saline nasal spray on flights. It's supposed to help ward off those post-flight colds by keeping nasal passages moist and thus less susceptible to germs. Don't know if that's true, but it does help reduce the discomfort caused by the dry air in planes.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 03:59 AM
Denise

The Fatal Shore - author was Robert Hughes ISBN 0 330 29892. Enjoy <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 04:24 AM
Kimberley

I just wanted to agree with the person who mentioned Unisom. I'm sure it might drag some people down (as someone responded already) but for me, nothing works better. I've used it my last three trips to Europe and have been able to spend my entire first day out and enjoying the city. I don't even feel the need to go to sleep until at least midnight that night! Also, I didn't read every post, so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Evian atomizers. They are a great thing to pack on the plane to refresh yourself, wake up towards the end of the flight, and keep your skin from getting dry or itchy during the flight. KK

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 06:20 AM
AJ

Stellarossa, I can't believe you saw Soylent Green. You and I may be the only two people alive in the world today who saw that movie. Did it impress you as much as it impressed me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -