Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Who else got a parking ticket in S. Gimgnano - and what did you do about it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/who-else-got-a-parking-ticket-in-s-gimgnano-and-what-did-you-do-about-it-568518/)

travelphile Nov 3rd, 2005 05:26 AM

Who else got a parking ticket in S. Gimgnano - and what did you do about it?

Four relatively intelligent adults, all in one car, and we NEVER saw a parking resriction on the lot. The ticket was received two weeks ago in San Gimgnano.

Apparently we were parked in a 60 minute lot, but even once we had the ticket we could not find a sign explaining this!

Do I need to even worry about this? Will the city, the police, whoever - try to look us up through the rental car company? Can they even do that?

Funny thing was, we parked next to the car of people also staying in the same B&B - and they too got the ticket and could not understand why! Help?!

celticdreams Nov 3rd, 2005 05:42 AM

I can't answer to San Gimgano, but I can tell you that I've gotten them in Germany. I've received a charge on my credit card from the rental company - but it's for providing the police (parking people) with my information. The ticket itself has never followed me.

dina4 Nov 3rd, 2005 05:48 AM

We received a parking ticket outside the walls of Siena. Never saw any signs either. But we did nothing. They just notified our rental car co. and charged our credit card. Don't worry.

Marija Nov 3rd, 2005 05:56 AM

We received a parking ticket in Panzano, ignored it, and never heard about it again.

Maria_H Nov 3rd, 2005 06:07 AM

We got a parking ticket in Florence, a few years back. We saw a P for parking, not realilising it was actualy residents only. When we got back, the whole line of cars had tickets, so it looks like we all made the same mistake. We spent the best part of half a day looking for the little office, only open certain hours, to pay the fine of about £20 at the time. Car rental firms can charge the fine to your credit card, plus an administration fee, for unpaid fines.

StCirq Nov 3rd, 2005 06:29 AM

I've had a parking ticket follow me back to my home address in the USA after a couple of months, along with a notice from AutoEurope that I'd better pay it if I wanted to rent cars in Europe again. Granted, that was quite some years ago and in France, not Italy, but if I were you I'd pay up unless you don't plan on renting cars again.

ira Nov 3rd, 2005 06:40 AM

Hi t,

It is the car that is ticketed, not the driver.

Thus, the owner of the car (rental company) has to pay the fine.

They will.

Usually, they then charge you the amount of the fine and an adminstration fee.

((I))

((I))

travelphile Nov 3rd, 2005 08:09 AM

Sigh... I liked Marija's answer the best - but it doesn't appear to be the norm!

I suppose I will have to call AutoEurope this weekend and pay the fine (20EU I think) and maybe not have to deal with the fee.