Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who else brings a gift home for their pet.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I travel I always bring something for Kitty. Nowadays it's always a picture placemat for his food dishes. He's also gotten prosciutto flavored cat food from Italy and Meowi Wowie cat nip from Haight Ashbury in San Fran (loved that!). I can't be the only one. What do you guys bring back.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Until recently we brought French cat food back, but the ban on meats now makes that out of the question. So I'll have to find something interesting.

Is Kitty related to the Kitty in "The Closer"?

I have
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

The show The Closer? LOL No, his name is actually Bear.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I do too - always a little something for my pooch.

Last September we knew that we would be getting a Shih Tzu puppy shortly after our return. I bought two brightly colored food bowls at Pylone in Paris (St. Louis store).

They are plastic and shaped like a cat's head, little ears on the top, with a cat's face on the bottom of the inside. One for food and one for water.

At first DH thought I was nuts - first time that ever happened but once little Zebulon (Zebby) arrived and started using them, he realized how cute and practical they are.

It's a good feeling to bring back presents for your pet(s) They really appreciate them, use them whenever possible, never think that they are tacky, never throw them away a few years later, and never complain that you didn't spend enough.

I love the placemat idea, I do that here, but will start looking on my upcoming trip to Paris.

Nina

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM

My kitties are gone now. But I always brought them presents when I traveled -and always the same - refrigerator magnets. They would jumpt up to the top of the refigerator (when the ygot older from a chair - but straight from the floow when they were yonger), hang over the fromt, push them off onto the floor and bat them around until they lost them under a peice of furniture.

And they seemed to expect them every time I went away overnight.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM

My husband once brought home a
carry-on full of a bunch of doggy chew toys for our CAT. Our cat loves one specific type of doggy chew toy and it is very hard to find here.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM

We have always brought presents home for our dog. I should say "our late dog" beCause dear old Elvis, the perfect dog, was so perfect as to die in his sleep last year.

Flora, the new dog, has yet to have mom and dad go on a vacation without her. Our only trip this year (we got Flora after coming home from Italy in March) has been to visit DD, and Flora came along. But we are going to DC on Thursday, so she should be expecting something.

We brought pate from France, but our best gift was dog chew spedini from Florence.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I've also found cat chew sticks in France.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a red collar with silver metal hearts in the Dordogne from a custom leather shop for my dog.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM

I don't have a dog of my own, but I still consider my parent's dog my dog. His name is Toby and he is spoiled rotten, and has received a toy from every trip anyone in our family takes.

He is a Pekingese, and is really into stuffed animals. So much so that he has a "toy shelf" where we keep his toys in the family room ( or try to, as he likes to take them out and make a big pile to lay with).

The best thing about the toys is that he knows them all by name. For example, if I ask him "Toby, where is your bagel?" he will go to the toy shelf (or where ever the toy currently is) retrieve it, and bring it to me. He typically has about 20 toys at a time, so I think it's pretty impressive!

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM

I didn't bring a present for the dogs, but in Paris, at a little shop, I saw a needlepoint pillow with a Westie on it and since we have two it was a must buy.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 12:13 PM

My husband got our cat a souvenir (sort of frisbee thingy) at the Eiffel Tower and forgot to get a souvenir for his Mom. He didn't even realized it until I pointed it out....True story.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Naturally! A stuffed toy or leash or something.