Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Who are you? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/who-are-you-687553/)

MissZiegfeld Mar 13th, 2007 11:52 AM

Who are you?

I'm genuinely interested in many of the posters here who share my passion for travel. Since fodors doesn't have a "profile" providing information about posters, I thought we can share a little info here, maybe even a photo if possible since it's fun to put pictures to names.

What brought you to fodors? Where was your first overseas trip? What's your "travel style"? What are your hobbies aside from travel? Where are you from? And any other info you'd want to throw in..

FainaAgain Mar 13th, 2007 11:56 AM

I am "sweet 16" :"> living in the People's Republic of San Francisco, originally from USSR, can't get rid of the russian accent :(

The next travel is to the enchanting (I hope) Copper Canyons of Mexico! Mostly travel alone, being married to a couch potato :)) but my kids got the travel bug.

CAPH52 Mar 13th, 2007 12:11 PM

Have you checked out the Fodorite Lounge? It's a good place to get to know your fellow travel enthusiasts!:)

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 12:25 PM

Ziggy:

Who are you?

enzian Mar 13th, 2007 01:24 PM

And PalenQ---who are you?

I'll answer the original Q's--I am an American woman living on the West coast. First trip to Europe was to go live in Germany for 6 months as a university student. I won't tell you how long ago that was. :">

Since 1994, I've been to Europe every year but one. Travel style is to go for 2 weeks, plan every stop and reserve every hotel before the trip. I love the planning part, and fortunately my family is happy to have me do it. We are outdoorsy (other hobbies are hiking, cycling, and skiing), so we usually include some hiking in the Alps or Dolomites. We also enjoy gardens, art, architecture, history, and great food and wine. Some of our favorite places, besides Switzerland and the Alps, are Venice, London, and Copenhagen.

waring Mar 13th, 2007 02:15 PM

British by passport, born in Luxembourg, grew up in Nigeria, studied French and Russian in England, currently in the French West Indies.

Confused? I am.

tzarinna Mar 13th, 2007 02:28 PM

I guess I'll start with ASL,I'm 35,female in I live in Maryland just outside of Washington,D.C. ;;)
My first trip abroad was to London,stayed with family friends..Just my luck Lady Di had her fatal accident and I saw the city in a very different way.
My next journey was alone. I took a road trip up north all the way to Canada staying in hostels along the way. The hostel in Toronto was booked so I scored a bed & breakfast. Since then I've been on many more trips,alone. Ireland,Germany,Italy,Florida,Georgia,NYC and so on.
None of my friends or family either don't share my passion,can't get it togheter to make a trip. So I go alone. ((y))

katesbelsogno Mar 13th, 2007 03:47 PM

Wow..this is fun..I am an American woman living in the US and Italy. Bought a house there 5 years ago with my husband. We travel back and forth which sounds very romantic and adventurous but to tell you the truth it is alot of work..Now..don't get me wrong but when you have 2 homes so FAR apart it requires a bit of logistical work..In sum..we have sold our house in the States and now rent an apt. I will NEVER sell my home in Italy..But..I am still a born American and my heart is torn..I am fortunate to be able to enjoy both countries WITH my 2 dogs, who travel with me everywhere)..husband too, of course..Would love to keep in touch with you all

queener Mar 13th, 2007 04:45 PM

I'm a 44 year old woman living in MN who got a taste of European travel during a month long trip in college. I have returned many times with family, friends, foreign exchange student and even for work.... I love it! I've done major cities using public transportation and also have thoroughly enjoyed driving through French countryside and staying in small villages/country B&B's. I have used frequent flier miles to introduce family members and friends to the wonder taste of European travel.... As a matter of fact I'm currently planning a trip for May/June - I always promised my 2 nieces I'd take them anywhere in the world they want to go in between high school and college and my oldest niece graduates this year - I told her she can take along one other person (just no boyfriend!) and she chose her mom so I'll be traveling to Italy and France with my niece and sister..... can't wait!! I love reading Fodors!! You all are great!

sandypaws3 Mar 13th, 2007 04:55 PM

I'm a grandmother of three little girls, who just started traveling to Paris a few years ago, having wanted to travel there since I was teen. When my husband and I were dating some 40 years ago, we talked about going to Paris. We were busy raising kids, though, and it wasn't until I got online that I realized we could actually travel to Paris on our budget.

Sandy

queener Mar 13th, 2007 05:04 PM

yes - the joys of traveling to Europe is that it IS affordable. I see so many familes traveling to places like Disney (which is great, don't get me wrong), but then make comments about how "it must be nice" to travel to Europe..... Since I use frequent flier miles, it takes the airfare expense out so European travel is really affordable! ENJOY your travels!! Oh ya - forgot to say -- when I say I travel with "family", I have traveled with my mother-in-law MANY times -- we get along wonderfully and she loves traveling.... she has even done Friendship Force trips to Egypt, India, etc......

Pegontheroad Mar 13th, 2007 05:13 PM

I am, as my nephew would say, a woman of a certain age, living in a city in the inland Northwest which has been described as "fairly isolated," one of the reasons traveling to Europe is no small undertaking.

I have been traveling all over the world since 1963, when I went to work for the U. S. Dep't of Defence in Hokkaido, Japan. After that, I worked near Tokyo and also in Heidelberg, Germany. During those years I traveled in the Far East, Middle East and Europe. Since I returned in 1970, I've lost track of how many times I've been to Europe, but the trips I've enjoyed most began in 2000, when I began traveling with my sister, Maryfran, whose trip reports are almost as much fun as is traveling with her.

When Mary plans the trip, she does a whiz-bang job, with all hotel, transportation, and dining info spelled out in detail. When I plan...if you'd call it planning... I book flights and a hotel for the first night, then wing it, equipped with a Rick Steves and a Frommers or Fodors, having read from other guide books beforehand to get a feel for where I want to go and what I want to see.

We usually try for rooms in the neighborhood of $100-$150 and meals that aren't outrageously expensive. Driven to desperation at times, we're not above hitting the Golden Arches--not something we'd ever do at home.

We are very relaxed travelers, not the type to start early and end late. We do a lot of sitting around sidewalk cafes with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, watching the world go by.

My most obsessive hobby is counted cross stitch. I reproduce paintings--Van Goghs, Monets, Vermeers. At present Í'm doing a Renoir of a girl playing the piano. I also study languages, with my German being good and my Spanish very much a work in progress.

Weadles Mar 13th, 2007 06:08 PM

I took my first trip to Europe when I was six, and still have the BOAC pin stashed away in a drawer.

My father used to tell the guys at his office that my idea of a unique honeymoon would "probably be a trip to New Hampshire."

Luckily, my husband enjoys traveling as much as I do, so we have no furniture in the house, but together we've been all over Europe, the Caribbean, Asia, and Australia.

I dislike tours and schedules on vacation, and hate pretentious food. That's probably why I'm such a big fan of southern Italian and Greek cooking.

Both of our kids have the travel bug, and they blame me!

brando Mar 13th, 2007 06:25 PM

I am 30 currently, my first trip to europe was 6 years ago, a two month trip of france, spain, and port. I have since been back to italy for 3 weeks. My travel style is to get away from the us and its culture. My wife and I sleep in hostels, carry our clothes in a backpack, walk insane miles, eat cheaply at times, eat swanky at times, meet people, get lost, and enjoy every minute.

Fodors is a great site with a lot of useful info but it is very high end in my opinion, if you don't stay in expensive hotels you may need to look elsewhere.

Hobbies aside from travel, i'm a big fan of art, anatomy, and the opposite sex.

Im from north dakota.

Brazilnut Mar 13th, 2007 06:45 PM

I am a 58 yr-old Brazilian woman who just became a grandmother - my grandson is 3 weeks today! I now live and teach in a University in the Brazilian Northeast, but I lived in the US for close to 14 years before moving back home to Brasil.

I hit Fodors by chance, and became hooked ever since. I love the discussions here, though like Brando, I cannot afford most of the places cited by fodorites. I usually stay at 2 stars hotels or in rented apartments, don't go to fancy restaurants, do a lot of walking and look for bargains.

My first trip overseas was back in 1965 when I went to the US as an AFS exchange student. Since the year 2000, though, I have travelled mostly to Europe, taking advantage of the free flights I get to attend meetings, conferences, etc.. as part of an international research project in which I participate. This means that I end up travelling mostly solo, something I really learned to enjoy.

CarlosSandoval Mar 13th, 2007 07:06 PM

I'm Peruvian married to a Polish wife. First trip to Europe was 7 years ago to Germany. Since then, I've been to England, France, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Poland, Mexico, Dominican Republic....and many more to come.

MissZiegfeld Mar 13th, 2007 07:40 PM

Guess I should jump in, since I started it!

Born and raised in NYC (grew up here in Staten Island). I'm 22 years old and italian, and loved growing up in a large italian community. I started working professionally in theatre when I was 15 (graduated high school early), and when I was 19 became a flight attendant (based in Boston). Did that for a little over a year, then started temping (more money!). It gives me the flexibility to travel, though I do miss the airline industry and am planning a return!

I always had an interest in the world around me, but growing up had only visited Disney world and NJ, PA (Philly and Lancaster) and CT. When I was 17 I visited Chicago..visited Boston a few months later..than at 19 took my first trip to Europe (London, Paris and Amsterdam). Always have been independant, and I took the trip alone. That was just three years ago, and next month I will leave for my 8th trip to Europe! It's my priority and I do work hard for it.

Other hobbies include concert going (Petula Clark and Connie Francis are my two favorites, and I travel a lot to see them in concert. I've been lucky to get to know them both.), theatre, and classic movies. I was born in the wrong era!

beaupeep Mar 13th, 2007 09:34 PM

I am an American woman living in Switzerland who never traveled to Europe before 1997 when I was 42. Then I became hooked and planned trips the day I got back from the last one. I was living on Nantucket, had bought a teeny tiny cottage (598 sq ft) so never really could afford to travel but managed to scrimp and save and go. Then the brother of a Nantucket friend came to visit from his home in Switzerland, I was invited to dinner and voila! Love at first sight and now I live here with him. We were married in 2000.

And I still can't get over the fact that Paris is a 3.5 hour train ride away. Nice, Rome, Marseille, Milan, etc., a hop, skip and a jump with easyJet or trains. Not to mention that Switzerland itself is gorgeous and I love living here! Just miss my family a lot.

DanoMsp Mar 14th, 2007 04:27 AM

Ok try to be brief: live in Minnesota, backpacked 3 months Europe 1973, same southern Mexico 1976, confirmed travel addict so became travel agent 1984, trip director for incentive travel company for 15 years, so I got to scratch my itch, get paid, and host groups around the world. Leaving Saturday for AMS & Paris, for my sons 21st B-Day..life is good, so share yourself!

PBProvence Mar 14th, 2007 05:35 AM

Congratulations ! a really great question.

Here goes...
Born in NYC, I've lived in Brasil, Switzerland, Belgium, France and briefly in the USA during my lifetime. Presently live in Provence and spend part of the year in Brussels.

My father (Sicilian) taught me to spend whatever money I could on good food and travel... which I've made every effort to do. Luckily for me, I married someone who enjoys the same things.
I've been to Asia and North Africa for vacations, but have no desire to go to either Pole ! too cold for me.

We've just finished up plans for ten days in Israel in May, traveling with friends and visiting friends there. Last stop on the trip will be Petra...which I've always wanted to see.

Originally came to Fodors when a friend asked me to reply to a question that was posted here. I hang around occassionally.

Patricia