Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   who are we kidding? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/who-are-we-kidding-626914/)

travellerwannabe Jun 27th, 2006 04:42 PM

who are we kidding?

While travelling, we always try to bring clothes to blend in. But who are we kidding? How could you NOT look like a tourist when you're carrying cameras, maps, travel books, sometimes all in a backpack. Sure our outfits can be nice but we definitely still look like tourists, so why bother? any thoughts?

travelaway Jun 27th, 2006 04:43 PM

Enjoy being a tourist.
Thank God we have our health and can travel...

Carrybean Jun 27th, 2006 04:45 PM

I agree & even if we successfully "blended in" as soon as we speak, it's all over. I just don't get the "shame" (although that's too strong a word & not exactly what I mean) of being a tourist.

Robespierre Jun 27th, 2006 04:51 PM

It doesn't matter what you wear, what you carry, or what you say. As long as you walk down the street looking at anything other than the sidewalk in front of you and the occasional shop window, anybody can see you don't live there.

Whether you're from 5,000 miles away or the next town over, that makes you a tourist. And so what?

tcl Jun 27th, 2006 04:53 PM

I just wear what I normally wear when I travel and don't worry about being singled out as a tourist. Comfort is a big issue if I'm going to be walking all day, so no need for the high heels.

The only thing I'm careful about is to not offend someone culture/religion by what I wear.

indytravel Jun 27th, 2006 04:55 PM

I am a tourist. I like being a tourist. If I want to "fit in" I can stay at home and go to work. Yuck. :-)

travelaway Jun 27th, 2006 04:56 PM

< The only thing I'm careful about is to not offend someone culture/religion by what I wear. >

I totally agree.

Dukey Jun 27th, 2006 05:01 PM

I'm sorry but IMO this whole "concerned about how to dress" is so bored office worker 15 minutes ago.

laclaire Jun 27th, 2006 05:04 PM

I don't understand why fashion is tonight's pet subject, but as it is the issue at hand, I will bite. My goal is to dress nicely and comfortably. Everyone looks like a tourist when they are traveling because it is not what you are wearing so much as it is the props you carry. Just as a ballerina has her hair in a bun and ballet slippers on, the tourist carries maps and a camera.

There are ways to not look like a tourist, but they are irrelevant and the only time I have used them is when trying to go incognito in a location. Even then my stature and complexion give me away as not from around there.

janisj Jun 27th, 2006 05:36 PM

I don't try to look like a tourist - nor try to not look like one. But I also don't use a backpack, don't schlep guide books around (at most I'll have a xerox copy of a page or two in my handbag), only use a small pocket map and only refer to it from time to time, and my "city" camera is smaller of a pack of cigarettes. I honestly don't see how/why folks carry so much stuff w/ them.

(I do use a big film SLR w/ lenses when I'm out in the wilds/hiking and such)

travellerwannabe Jun 27th, 2006 05:57 PM

maybe i'm too picky but i don't go anywhere without my travel book. We walk around all day then when it's time to eat, depending on where we are, I open the travel book et voila, there's a restaurant recommendation. We've been burnt too many times that I like a sure thing instead of a gamble.

LoveItaly Jun 27th, 2006 06:01 PM

If I look like a tourist so what? It is fun being a tourist. I would imagine that a lot of locals when they see you wish they were on vacation. I know I do when I see tourist..and I enjoy their enthusiam for being so happy that they are on vacation.

That is one reason I enjoy sitting at the outdoor cafe in Union Sq. in SF. It is nice to watch the visitors enjoying SF. I even enjoy seeing visitors in my city, they always make me smile and sometimes when I notice they are enjoying a particular building or shop or whatever it makes me stop and appreciate what they are enjoying.

I do not carry around maps, water bottles etc. when I travel. Not because I don't want to look like a tourist but only because I don't like to carry a heavy load of "stuff".

travelaway Jun 27th, 2006 06:05 PM

loveitaly,
Here in Seattle, I too, feel proud when I see tourists enjoying the sights.

historytraveler Jun 27th, 2006 07:22 PM

Just had to post my own experience in the 'you'll look like a tourist anyway, so don't bother'.

I dress as I would at home, and I frequently get stopped by other tourists ,as well as locals ,who want directions, information or hope I'll sign some sort of petition, join a local club etc.. So, I would assume that most of the time people do not take me as a tourist. In fact when stopped they are surprised to find I'm not a local. So what's up?

I don't carry a camera ( take memory pictures only), any map I might carry fits in my purse, and I usually leave my backpack in the room. I don't do these things in order not to look like a tourist but do them because it's simply the way I prefer to travel/sight-see.

Scarlett Jun 27th, 2006 07:43 PM

LOL, I look like a Tourist at home, so who am I kidding? :D
I never seem to dress just like everyone else, and especially in Portland Oregon, I don't have one tattoo :(

Neil_Oz Jun 27th, 2006 08:09 PM

We've done a good part of our travelling in Asia and trust me, the odds are you won't blend in there, shorts or no shorts. In fact we met a Vietnamese-American in Hanoi, and being on the pudgy side even he stood out. Don't sweat about it. It doesn't matter.

Zydecoqueen Jun 27th, 2006 08:15 PM

I never wear white tennis shoes anywhere. I also look like a tourist wherever I go becasue my mouth is slightly ajar in awe and wonder. My eyes are huge and shining and I can't stop pointing at places or objects of interest. So, for me packing is easy.

Worktowander Jun 28th, 2006 12:47 AM

Looking like a tourist means giving the impression that you possess curiosity, love of life, your health and a bit of financial security.

Sounds pretty good to me - I'll take it.

(But not if it requires wearing a fanny pack). ;-)

celticdreams Jun 28th, 2006 02:20 AM

When we were in Rome, my husband was concerned about wearing shorts (long cargo ones). I pointed out we were standing in the middle of the Colloseum, carrying an audio guide and a camera - we obviously weren't with a school group - regardless of what we were wearing - we were tourists. Who cares!?

Now, if were at the opera wearing the same thing, with all the same accessories - we'd look like idiots.

PrincessOfPenguins Jun 28th, 2006 03:26 AM

Even at home, I take the camera around to take pictures of stuff going on in the city...