Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Who are the Best tippers? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/who-are-the-best-tippers-202745/)

Mack Apr 21st, 2002 10:39 AM

Who are the Best tippers?

Having worked in several service jobs while a studenthere is my league table for the best to the meanest tippers:<BR>1. English<BR>2. Irish<BR>3. German<BR>4. Dutch<BR>5. Spanish<BR>6. Arabian countries<BR>7. Italian<BR>8. Indian/Pakistani<BR>9. Japanese<BR>10.Americans

Dallas Apr 21st, 2002 11:49 AM

This one really needs to be put in his place, but I'll leave to the experts!

tiphappy Apr 21st, 2002 11:55 AM

I already disagree as an American. If the service is good we always leave 20%. If the waiter/waitress is really nice we leave up to 25% sometimes even doubling when we're really feeling charitable!

Big Apr 21st, 2002 12:03 PM

My husband, who is American. He just tipped our limo driver 25%! I told him it was too much but he thought the guy was very nice and could use the money.<BR><BR> I don't know where you work Mack, but I think you're wrong about Americans. Everyone I know regularly tips 20%.

Mack Apr 21st, 2002 12:04 PM

Mack,<BR><BR>I certainly hope you have your list bacwards. Otherwise, you don't know what you're talking about.

DB Apr 21st, 2002 12:05 PM

The Dutch 4th? Ever heard the expression "going dutch"?

xxx Apr 21st, 2002 02:21 PM

Hey, folks, relax. Mack just said it wrong. Anyone can tell that the list is backwards. He meant to say that he was listing them from the meanest to the best. We all know that it is a major miracle to get more than 10% out of anyone English, while Japanese and Americans are invariably the best tippers. But what happened to the French?

Tipper Apr 21st, 2002 03:38 PM

Surely the "best" tipper is one who always tips appropriately (that is, neither over- nor under-tips based on local standards/practices)? For example, an American who indiscriminately leaves 20% for average service in a London pub is just as "bad" a tipper is an Englishman who leaves a dollar in an NYC bistro.

Dave Apr 21st, 2002 03:53 PM

Americans are the best tippers cos they think all waiters are paid the lousy rates that are standard in the US. I always loved it when Americans came in because they ALWAYS appreciated good service with a hefty tip. I think every one else did too but they didnt think they had to tip so heavily in order to express it! (This from waiting-on in Central London)

xxx Apr 21st, 2002 04:22 PM

Best tippers are old guys with young girlfriends.

Dave Apr 21st, 2002 04:24 PM

Too true!

Dallas Apr 21st, 2002 04:45 PM

See, Mack -- I told you they'd get you!

bill Apr 21st, 2002 07:24 PM

I don't tip ANYONE !!!<BR><BR>And, I am ding-dang proud of it !!!<BR><BR>And, I am Israeli !!!

tip Apr 22nd, 2002 03:39 AM

There was one of these surveys recently in which Icelanders were described as the meanest tippers. Of course in Iceland they don't tip because they expect that people are paid a living wage. People tend to tip according to their own customs at home. In England the usual tip is 10% and it usually goes into a kitty and is shared between all the staff.<BR>Personally I think that tipping is annoying for the customer and degrading for the recipient. It seems that the US is one country where everyone seems to have their hand out. If you sneeze and somebody says "gesundheit" you feel that you ought to tip them.

Lanny Apr 22nd, 2002 06:10 AM

The nouveau riche, or those pretending they are. And the insecure.

xxx Apr 22nd, 2002 10:13 AM

No doubt, it's Tipper Gore.

Dan Apr 22nd, 2002 10:21 AM

Or Lanny, maybe those that just aren't cheap. Eh?

cd Apr 22nd, 2002 10:23 AM

My husband always tips 20%. Establishments that automatically add 15% gratuity to the bill, cut the tips of their wait staff. What's up with that?

Dan Apr 22nd, 2002 10:26 AM

Strangely Americans leave tips for even indifferent service. I don't. If I get exempary service I tip 20-25 percent. This is rare, but I had a great server Saturday so I was happy to do this. If I get good professional service I leave between 15 and twenty. However, if I get below average service. not necessarily bad-just not good, I leave zero. Sorry but I see no reason to tip anything for substandard. So careful with me servers, the third step is a doozy.

JIm Apr 22nd, 2002 10:28 AM

If you get take out from a good restaurant, do you tip? I've been wondering if I should although I haven't been.