White House Hotel - London

Oct 6th, 1999, 08:02 PM
Terri

White House Hotel - London

I would appreciate any opinions or thoughts from anyone who has stayed at the White House Hotel. It's in the Regent Park area of London - a good location, I presume? Are there sites of interest I shouldn't miss in this area? Any suggestions for dining and pubs in this area?

Oct 6th, 1999, 08:13 PM
Terri

Please forgive the double post.

Oct 7th, 1999, 06:55 AM
Erin

Hi Terrie,
I stayed at The White House hotel in 1998. It's a nice hotel, probably a 3-4 star property. We were in a L shaped triple that faced the front of the hotel. Some people who've stayed at The White House have complained of street noise, but we didn't have that experience. The room and bathroom were a nice size; I've definitely stayed in smaller! The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. The concierge can help you set up tours if you want.

The hotel is very big with tour packages, so don't be surprised if the lobby is full of tour groups! There isn't much to see in the neighborhood. There are at least 4 tube lines within walking distance, including one directly across the street. You are only a few tube stops from Regent St, Oxford St and Trafalgar Square/Picadilly Circus. The hotel is also about a 5-10 minute walk from Madame Tussaud's. I highly recommend taking a walk through Regent's Park. In my opinion this is one of the most underrated parks in London. If you walk all the way to the back of the park, you will be a few blocks from the Camden section of town. Camden is great for exploring.

For more information, do a search. I'm almost positive that people have discussed this hotel before on this website. Let me know if you have other questions. Good Luck!

Oct 7th, 1999, 06:55 AM
Erin

Hi Terrie,
I stayed at The White House hotel in 1998. It's a nice hotel, probably a 3-4 star property. We were in a L shaped triple that faced the front of the hotel. Some people who've stayed at The White House have complained of street noise, but we didn't have that experience. The room and bathroom were a nice size; I've definitely stayed in smaller! The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. The concierge can help you set up tours if you want.

The hotel is very big with tour packages, so don't be surprised if the lobby is full of tour groups! There isn't much to see in the neighborhood. There are at least 4 tube lines within walking distance, including one directly across the street. You are only a few tube stops from Regent St, Oxford St and Trafalgar Square/Picadilly Circus. The hotel is also about a 5-10 minute walk from Madame Tussaud's. I highly recommend taking a walk through Regent's Park. In my opinion this is one of the most underrated parks in London. If you walk all the way to the back of the park, you will be a few blocks from the Camden section of town. Camden is great for exploring.

For more information, do a search. I'm almost positive that people have discussed this hotel before on this website. Let me know if you have other questions. Good Luck!

Oct 7th, 1999, 09:37 AM
Diane

We stayed there for our honeymoon in '93. Erin is right on about the busloads of tourists (asian) in the lobby. It can occaisionally be annoying with the amount of luggage everywhere!

As luck would have it we had a bit of a lumpy mattress and had a laugh everytime we went through the lobby past the gift shop window where bears were displayed in t-shirts that said the beds at the white house were just right (a la Goldilocks).

The hotel restaurant was great ! We ate the prix fixe dinner several times. The mussels were incredible. We did do a picnic in Regent's Park - it's very quiet there during the week. There is a pub across the street that had good fish & chips. The Camden area was very unusual - college like street vendors on the surface. I'm sure there's more to it than we saw.

We found everything easily accessible from the tube stop across the street (just don't put an umbrella in the elevator doors in hopes they will reopen! See previous post at Most Embarassing Moments)

Overall it was pretty nice for the money (We did it back when I was an airline employee and got 50% discount I think).

Also check out London Walks tours. They have some neat walking tours for a couple of hours. We did the Jack the Ripper one and saw some things we would not have seen otherwise.

Hoave a great time!