White Christmas in Europe

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Christmas in Europe

Thinking of a family get together in Europe Christmas 2008. Daughter and niece coming from the UK, Brother and wife, my husband, another daughter, her boyfriend and myself from Australia and possibly 7 relatives from Munich. I realise that snow is unpredictable at Chrismas (2007 would have been great) but would love to hear any ideas on a good place to go. We would all be travelling by train, would love snow and lots of Christmas atmosphere and my husband would also like to ski. Am I asking too much?
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
DAX

The christmas atmosphere in Salzburg is even better than in Munich especially along the well decorated alleys inside its oldtown. We've done it twice, my wife brought along some disposable xmas ornaments and bought a tree for the kids to enjoy inside our hotel room. Salzburg is also easy to get to by train from anywhere as it is a local train hub as well as a long distance train station(EC,ICE,IC).

If there is snow, then your husband can take the local train to Johann im Pongau to ski (1 hour train ride). We rented everything at the resort but brought our own gloves,goggles and bib. From Johann im Pongau you can ski through the neighboring villages as the resort runs are connected with 2 other ski resorts. It's great to explore and make stops in the food & beer huts that Austrian resorts are famous for.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM
DAX

In case you're googling, I want to correct my mistake: I should have typed Sankt Johan im Pongau instead of Johann im Pongau.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Hi,
We are also looking to visit Salzburg for Christmas 2008, see my post Dreaming of a White Christmas.
And we are also from Australia, so a winter Christmas would be novel for us too.

Our main quandary is spending all that money and maybe getter lousy weather. At this stage we are considering flying into Frankfurt then staying a couple of nights in Rothenburg or Wurzburg - not quite sure yet onto to Salzburg to stay over the Christmas period and do some day trips (weather dependent) then Vienna and possibly Prague. We will also be traveling by train. But we don't ski so that is something we don't have to worry about.

I will look forward to seeing what ideas you come up with. Best wishes with your planning.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so far for the responses.I will take all into account. My husband and I have had 2 previous Christmas's in Munich but like 28 years ago before kids. We had a bit of snow fall on Christmas Eve but would like the kids (adults) to experience more and as a famly together. I guess we can always head off to do the skiing after Christmas too. We spent a couple of nights in Rothenburg just before Christmas (1981) and it was just beautiful. The markets where great and there was also some snow on the ground. The atmosphere was lovely. Had been there previously 6 months prior but my husband was very sick with the mumps and didn't see much so went back again. Love the place. Have also been to Salzburg in the winter and loved the markets and atmosphere there but was thinking more smaller village this time but maybe with access to larger places. Thanks all
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM

Hi Landor - If you prefer a smaller village, consider Ortisei in the Italian Dolomites:

http://www.dolomitigallery.com/inverno/

http://www.valgardena.it/eng/page120.html

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/gard...hx?ccode=en-US

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 03:54 AM

Hi landor,

If you're looking for a cosy village, I think Mittenwald would be perfect for you.

Mittenwald is about 2h south of Munich, right on the Austrian border. The center of the village is a pedestrian zone, and stores and cafes line the sides of the wide street. Even in the winter, the cafes had chairs and tables set up with blankets draped over the chairs, and sure enough, there were plenty of folks enjoying the winter sun and a hot drink under the blankets! There wasn't a lot of snow in the village itself, but they trucked in some snow and created a snow-bar; there were also three or four grill-stands to choose from as you meandered down the street.

The Christmas market is set up along this pedestrial street also.

Innsbruck as about 1h away by train, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen is about 30m away by train or bus. There are many, many walks into the mountains or between the mountains, and there are two cable cars up to the mountains also.

I spent a month in Mittenwald in an apartment Dec 06-Jan 07 and really fell in love with the village.

Good luck!

s
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 04:37 AM

If you want a white Christmas, forget about all cities. They are all situated down in the valleys or lowlands, none of them can guarantee snow. Pick a ski resort high up in the Alps.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

To Swandav2000
I guess if there was some snow at Christmas 2006/2007 in Mittenwald there could be hope in the future! Did you ski there? If so what was it like. Also do you know how often the train goes to Garmisch and back. Thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 02:23 AM

Hi again,

No, I didn't ski there, for two reasons. One is that it was a bad snow year -- there really wasn't much snow at all. It would snow a bit one day and then not snow again for two weeks; the snow would disappear in the village and almost disappear on the mountain trails. Second is that I ended my trip with a week skiing in Wengen, Switzerland, so I knew I would get my skiing in at that time.

I just took a look at the train schedules at www.bahn.de, and it appears that the trains go once an hour in the morning. You can verify it for the times you're likely to go. There are busses too, but I'm not sure where you'd get the information online (the schedules are posted at the bus stop in front of the bahnhof).

You can get a lot of information about the village, and some photos, at the site

www.mittenwald.de

I found my apartment on the site.

Good luck!

s
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 03:23 AM

Another vote for Mittenwald. You can download bus schedules here:

www.rvo-bus.de

It is in German, but I guess you can manage to find the schedules. Click on 'Fahrpläne', then choose the region 'Garmisch-Partenkirchen' and the 'Fahrplannummer' 4186. That is the route Garmisch - Mittenwald - Seefeld (Austria). You can download the schedule as pdf.

There is a ski pass for the entire region which includes Garmisch, Mittenwald, Seefeld, Ehrwald etc. Absolutely snow reliable. While Mittenwald itself doesn't offer too extensive skiing it is good for a day or two. And Garmisch is just a half hour away, ditto Seefeld.

Another option might be Oberstdorf.

I.

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Anywhere around Garmisch, Fuessen, Lermoos and even Oberammergau can almost guarantee you of snow. Even if it isn't laying on the streets of those towns, you will see plenty in the mountains above you. This is the first time we ever stayed overhight in Fuessen for the New Year and it was the most Christmassy place we visited in two weeks through Eastern Europe. Lots of snow on the ground and the most amazing goldish glow coming off the streetlights, Christmas decorations and illuminated buildings. The almost unceasing snow flurries as the flakes descended throught the artificial light was almost otherworldly.

Best of all, at 5:00 on New Year's Night we heard a loud commotion along the Lech Riverside. When we hurried over we saw a score of pinpricks of light floating in the water. Closer inspection revealed them to be a bunch of drunken nuts floating downriver screaming "ziggy-ziggy-hoi-hoi". The 500 meter water parade ended in one of the lengthiest fireworks displays I've ever seen.

Salzburg is normally a safe bet, but this past Christmas we didn't see much snow around town or even closer to the Alps in Golling and St. Johann. Usually the Domplatz is full of snow, but this year only a few melting piles were there.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou to all those that replied. I will research all those places. Obviously there is plenty of time before I go so any more thoughts would be great
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:05 AM

Ever thought of the Black Forest?

I spend at least ten times Christmas there and we always had snow.

Down-hill skiing is pretty good on the Feldberg. Menzenschwand and Altglashütten also have ski areas.

Cross-country skiing is everywhere.