Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   While you were on the Amalfi coast did you drive a rental or take public transport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/while-you-were-on-the-amalfi-coast-did-you-drive-a-rental-or-take-public-transport-67038/)

Jim Apr 1st, 2000 08:06 AM

While you were on the Amalfi coast did you drive a rental or take public transport?

Would like to hear about your experiences,I'm going there week and I'm trying to figure out if I should cab it or rent a car. Thanks in advance for your help.

richard j vicek Apr 1st, 2000 08:17 AM

Good morning, Jim <BR>Renting a car is a good idea for being <BR>on your own on the Amalfi, however the <BR>driver is going to miss a lot of scenery <BR>I would strongly suggest you look at <BR>taking a bus, it runs from Sorrento <BR>to Salerno, stopping at most places <BR>between the two. (www.uniplan.it/Sita) <BR>Most of the problem with a car, is <BR>where to park it.....Have a good trip. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Dayle Apr 1st, 2000 11:08 AM

We took the bus and were glad we did. We got to enjoy the fabulous scenery and marvel at the bus drivers' skill in maneuvering past other buses and traffic. Road (there is only one) is narrow and more winding than Hwy 1 in Big Sur, which is saying a lot! Yes, parking is a major problem.

Dona Apr 1st, 2000 07:54 PM

Jim, <BR> <BR>I always drive when I go to Italy and am very partial to seeing the country that way. I like the freedom it affords and actually really like the driving there - it may be fast (of course, not necessarily on the Amalfi Drive!) but it's orderly - stay to the right unless you want to pass - and everyone follows the rules! <BR> <BR>I was there off season in September and loved the drive... <BR>Dona

Deepa Sobti Apr 1st, 2000 11:13 PM

Hi Jim, <BR>Envy the fact that you are heading towards Italy. My husband and I would highly recommend the buses connecting all the coast villages. Also, we felt that the roads were too narrow for the driver to get comfortable. The bus drivers are pretty cool (coolers et al) and one can't help but marvel the way they traverse thru the roads. <BR>Have fun.

Alison Apr 2nd, 2000 08:47 AM

The local buses are the best way to get around if you just want to sightsee between towns - quite frequent services, and they keep to the timetables. The drive round that Amalfi coast round can be a bit scary!! those Italian drivers are just plain mad. Dont miss Ravello by the way, lovely town.

Linda Love Apr 2nd, 2000 01:03 PM

My husband and I were just there last October, and you don't need or want a car. We hired a cab driver for $150 US for about 6 hours of a private tour along the Almalfi Coast. The road is incredibly narrow. Drivers are fast. This way we both got to see everything and no white knuckles. Cab driver was extremely knowledgeable and took us to fabulous lookouts and places we wouldn't know of. Parking is nearly impossible in the small towns, so he'd often drop us off and meet us at a designated place. The bus idea sounds good on paper, but a driver will help you see 3 times as much in a fraction of the time. If you want, I have his name/phone#. He also has a web site. Drives a clean Mercedes cab and great command of english.

Joanna Apr 2nd, 2000 03:02 PM

I did the same as Linda - I wonder if we even had the same driver? I kept his card, but its buried in a box at home. He was a slender man in his '40s with a moustache. I think his first name was Mariano. It was great, he took us wherever we wanted to go and knew all the good lookouts, nice cafes and where to park, which could be a problem if you're driving yourself (esp. at Positano). Jim, the concierge of your hotel will be able to put you in touch with a driver if you choose this option.

Jim Apr 2nd, 2000 04:50 PM

Thanks to all that have responded,keep them coming.

Patrick Apr 2nd, 2000 06:59 PM

We rented a car and stayed in Positano, but one day we decided to take the boat to Amalfi. After spending most of the day there, it poured rain, the surf became very rough and all boats were cancelled. We waited in pouring rain for the bus which was about an hour late. There were probably a hundred of us waiting to get on one bus which was already filled. We pushed and shoved with the best of them and got on, standing like sardines for the trip which was awful. The other several dozen people were left standing at the bus station for the next bus which would be several hours later. The morale-- take your care and don't depend on public transport. Meanwhile the drive was not half as bad as we expected-- less scary that the coastal highway in California north of San Francisco to Mendocino.

dahlia Apr 3rd, 2000 06:21 AM

Linda & Joanna, will appreciate providing info re car/driver in Amalfi. We are planning to do the same as our time is limited. If you have the name, tel. or fax # will appreciate it! Thanks.

kam Apr 3rd, 2000 03:18 PM

Our driver was Antonio Cinque (a very common name in those parts)who drove a nice black Mercedes station wagon and we got him through the concierge at the San Pietro Hotel. I think you can actually wait until arrival to arrange for a driver, but Antonio came all the way up to Rome to get us and we stopped on the way at Herculaneum and Pompeii. A bit of money, but Antonio was a trip and it saved a lot of time. During the day we bussed it, but called for a driver again when going to Ravello for dinner etc. I drive a lot in Italy and we go there often, but on the Amalfi coast it's not just the difficulty of the road but also the traffic and the parking problems.