Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which would you pick - Granada or Rhonda?

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Sarah

Planning a trip to Spain in May and need to pick between Granada and Rhonda for three nights --- looking for advice from fellow fodorites.... <BR> <BR>(The rest of our trip includes Barcelona, Sevilla, Carmona, Cardoba, Toledo and Madrid). <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance!! <BR>-Sarah

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:44 PM
StCirq

I've never met Rhonda, but I'd go back to Granada in a heartbeat!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Rex

Granada. <BR> <BR>Granada is Washington DC <BR>Ronda is Annapolis. <BR> <BR>Both are nice. <BR> <BR>The analogy is not that good, but I am stuck trying to think of a better one. <BR> <BR>Maybe Denver and Breckinridge is more fitting. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Sarah

Oops - I guess that would be Ronda, not Rhonda. <BR> <BR>Sounds like Granada is a better option. Any thoughts on a good day trip from there if we're staying three nights? <BR> <BR>Thanks for the advice!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Marija

Why not do both? Spend one night in Ronda and two in Granada. Stop in Ronda on the way to Granada from Sevilla.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:57 PM
mary lewis

We just got back from Spain and did Granada one night, Nerja the next night and Ronda the next and it was more than enough time. We really only enjoyed the Alhambra in Granada - the rest of the city is very dirty (even by Spain standards) and some very "interesting" people.

Sarah

That's what I had hoped to do (one night at Ronda, two at Granada), but unfortunately I'm running into a 3 night minimum at the hotel in Granada (Ahambra Palace). Maybe I should look at an alternate hotel, but that one seemed so beautiful!

Rex

Somehow missed that "three nights" part. I agree - - go to both. <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Chris

Go with Granada for the nightlife. They have an Arab Quarter that has little tea cafes and street food vendors selling Arab snack foods. It's like being in a foreign land within a foreign land. Also, it's a great place for live flamneco if you'll be ther on a Fri. or Sat. Ronda is a cute, kind of sleepy town located on a gorge. Granada has more to offer in the PM department.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 07:39 PM
mkrueg

ditto with the last... Ronda is a spectacular sight, but a sleepy town with nothing going on & not great food (i've stayed many many times). Granada on the other hand is chock full of things to do and see. Dirty town from previous person?!! they must have been hanging out in the new area, stick with the old town and you'll have a great time. Yes, there are characters in Granada, but as long as you don't let anyone shine your shoes & mind your business, & don't look too obvious, then you'll be just fine. consider it adding to the character of the city. Obviously you seem to want to stay somewhere nice, so try the Parador San Francisco. The Alhambra Palace is new & has great views over the city, so just go there for a drink on the terrace at sunset some evening. Have a great time... GRANADA IS NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Sarah

Thank you for all the great advice. Sounds like we'll definitely stick with Granada and perhaps drive through Ronda for a daytrip on our way back to Sevilla. I wish we could stay at the Parador San Francisco in Granada, but they're booked! Sounds like Alhambra Palace would be a good second choice? <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>-Sarah

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Marija

The parador is always booked. However, they have cancellations. Starting a month or so before you go, fax them several times and you might be lucky and get in. Worked for us. I thought it was worth the trouble.