Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which wineries to visit in Tuscany? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-wineries-to-visit-in-tuscany-317590/)

Lina May 16th, 2003 07:09 AM

Which wineries to visit in Tuscany?

We will be staying in the Chianti district for 5 days and touring many towns in Tuscany. Which wonderful wineries should we visit?

fluffy May 16th, 2003 09:05 AM

Lina-I posted a similar question about a week ago I'll top it for you, but here are the web sites I have so far: Fattoria la ripa-laripa.it,castellobanfi.com
verrazzano.com,& avignonesi.it
I would also suggest logging on to winespectator.com and clicking wineries-then click Tuscany-There are dozens listed.
la dolce Italy
Fluffy

MarieF May 16th, 2003 09:20 AM

We visited Avignonesi in Montepulciano last summer and would highly recommend it. Great tour and great wines (vino nobile and others). If you are not aware of this, you need to call ahead and make an appointment to visit the wineries in this area. We called in the morning, and were able to get an appointment for later in the day. I would also recommend Altessino in Montalcino. Enjoy!

fluffy May 16th, 2003 10:45 AM

Marie I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Avignonesi-this is the winery I am most looking forward to.
I contacted them by email-and have an appt. in Sept. I just need to confirm the day before.
Thanks for the suggestion for Altessino
Fluffy

MarieF May 16th, 2003 12:33 PM

Pixy: Sorry to be confusing, but I responded about Avignonsesi b/c it was mentioned in a previous post, and we had such a great experience there that I wanted to share it. It is not in the Chianti district, but the person who posted the original message will be staying in the area for five days and may want to explore some of the wineries that are located in southern Tuscany. Fluffy, our guide at Avignonesi was Eleanora, and she was great.

fluffy May 16th, 2003 03:20 PM

In response to the previous poster the info.provided included web sites with very detailed information, it would be up to Lina herself to decide if this is usless information, and by the way her post did mention she would be touring several towns in the Tuscany region.
While I do not feel any reason to justify my post , as I am just passing on information that may or may not be helpful to the poster, but that would be up to her to decide.
I think you may be the one who's confused.
fluffy

Ian May 16th, 2003 05:24 PM

Fluffy

I'd agree with adrive south to see the true wine gems of Italy. From my note of last July:

Excursion to Montalcino

As a wine fancier, one of my favorites is Brunello di Montalcino. I have an over 20-year love affair with it, so I could not pass up the opportunity to visit Castello Banfi for a gourmet lunch. A 2 y drive from Todi - Autostrade then thru Chianciano Terme bypassing Montepulciano & right by the castle in Montalcino & south to the Banfi estate. Great food, stunning wine (the 97 Brunello is amazing). Of course, I bought some (31 Euros, as well as a bottle of their new 1997 Poggio Alle Mura (38 Euros). Yum, yum. The meal is in a smallish dining hall. It was a little surreal y three couples & a family group - everybody was really, really quiet. On the drive back we skipped the parade of tour buses along S146 and went south via S2. A great highway with no traffic to speak of, but we were pulled over by Uzi toting carabineiri in the middle of nowhere near Mount Amiata. I was speeding, of course, but they waved us on after a peek in the windows y maybe it was Be Kind to Tourist Day.

Note: No vineyard tour on Saturday or Sunday.

fluffy May 17th, 2003 12:19 PM

Dear Ian thanks for the positive post on Banfi-looking forward to tasing & purchasing.
Fluffy