Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which village or city in Umbria would you choose for a week-long visit?

May 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

I am planning a trip to tuscany and umbria for three weeks in April 2009. Which Umbrian city or village would you choose for a week-long stay and why? Thank you. This forum is always so helpful. Oisa
May 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM

ttt
May 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Hi Oisa,

I think it depends on where your other bases are. Have you already chosen 2 others in Tuscany, or what?

I've based in both Orvieto and Spello (not for full weeks, but 3 days) and loved both. Both are easy to drive in/out and park. Both are well located for visiting many other towns nearby.

What is the rest of your itinerary and any specific interests?
May 11th, 2008, 04:03 AM

I like Pienza and Castellina-in-Chianti because of the motor links. If you want to visit Orvieto
the drive isn't too long. The countryside West of the A-1 is more attractive to my eye as are the towns. If you consult a map you will see that your day trips are more convienient. Your third week?Possibly Bologna if you enjoy food! All that is not knowing where you are coming or going from.
May 11th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We will be staying for two weeks near Villastrada, south of Lake Trasimeno and near Chiusi. We have stayed before in Florence,Greve, Sienna, Spoleto and Orvieto ... so we are searching for a place we haven't toured or stayed in ... maybe Perugia, Cortona, or the Marrema area. Where would you like to spend time and why? Thank you.
May 11th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Hi Oisa,

We rented a house near Todi four years ago and loved it. The area around Spello/Montefalco/Bevagna would also make an excellent base. The good highway system makes day trips easy.
May 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM

I'd be hard pressed to choose between Assisi and Perugia for different reasons. If I could repeat everything we experienced during last year's visit to Assisi, I'd go back there in a heart beat. Our room with a view overlooking the valley with it's cross breeze was magical. To sit there with a glass of wine and just "be" in Italy was something I'll always savor. It's a small town but each meal at a different restaurant was wonderful with ample shopping to keep you entertained, and sites to enrich you. And it was central enough to make exploring the area practical although parking wasn't the most convenient.

Perugia is a large city with so much to see. The museum alone was as good as it gets. There are lots of good restaurants to choose from and the setting on top of a hill made for some incredible views - from small bars for another glass of wine. Once we found the hotel the first time (we took out the mirror trying to back out of a dead end alley), getting around was not that difficult.

Or what about Gubbio? We only spent the afternoon there so I can't address what a week there would be like but it was a lovely town and it would put you further north into Umbria putting you in greater proximity to Le Marche and all it has to offer. We loved it!
May 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Hi Oisa, I really love Perugia -- both for itself and because it's a really great base especially if you don't have a car (which I usually don't) If you are renting a car, then it's a different matter as I believe parking can be more of a challenge. Although not impossible, thanks to the city's system of escalators that run between the historic centre at the top of the hill and various parking lots and bus terminal below in Piazza Partigiani.

From Perugia, it's a very easy bus or train trip to Assisi -- you can readily see the lights of Assisi from Perugia at night, they're so close! It's also a direct one-hour bus trip to Gubbio (which really is wonderful) and a quick train ride down to Todi.

And you can easily spend a week just wandering Perugia itself. As Toni mentioned, the national gallery is fantastic, there are many great churches with gorgeous art, wonderful restaurants and wine bars....it's a great city to visit.

With a car, you might want to stay closer to Bevagna or Montefalco, since they're quite central, especially to southern Umbria.

You mentioned Cortona, which is also really lovely and easy to get to from Perugia. The only drawback of visiting Cortona without a car is that it can be a real pain to try to get from the train station at Camucia up to Cortona itself.
May 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
DRJ

OISA: Click on my initials at the top for many comments on Bevagna and the area nearby.
May 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. This is just the advice I was looking for. Bevagna sounds wonderful. We will want to see all of the places mentioned. Oisa
May 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM

A vote for Bevagna as a base town and a vote for Gubbio for a day trip. The drives on secondary roads between Bevagna/Spoleto and Bevagna/Todi are beautiful.
May 13th, 2008, 02:41 AM

Found it interesting that you were in Villastrada! One of the villa's that I stayed at was in Palazone which was just below Mt Amiata and across from Lago Trasimeno. Since you've also been to the Chianti area why not try the Parma vicinity. Different food and environment. If....you want to limit yourself to Umbria then the Marrema coastal towns would be very appealing. I'm envious as I too enjoyed the areas you've visited.
May 28th, 2008, 08:00 PM

We just got back from 8 days in Spello and absolutely loved it. It was a great place to use as a base for visiting the other towns.

Based on some of the day trips we took I would consider returning for a week in Gubbio, Spoleto, or Orvieto. Spoleto is probably the best situated for taking day trips. Gubbio and Orvieto are kind of distant from the other Umbrian towns you'd want to visit.
May 29th, 2008, 08:10 PM

We are going to Italy in July. We have had several friends who lived for 2 years in Umbria and their favorite spot was Trevi. Here is a great website that'll give you lots of info. We plan a visit to Trevi and Umbria on our trip. Will report on return. http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...revi/home.html
May 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM

Link to info on the town of Montone, centrally located in Umbria
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/umbria/montone.htm

Link to the house in Montone where we stayed for a week
http://www.slowtrav.com/cl/detail.asp?l=1084

We found Montone to be a sweet town, very small, not a place if you want action, but the piazza in the evening is nice and the locals were friendly. Not many out and about during the day, but we spent most days on day trips to surrounding towns. Some nice restaurants in Montone. Very peaceful, lovely place to return "home" in the evening. We had 2 young girls (ages 9 and 15 at the time I think) with us and felt completely fine with them wandering around the town by themselves. Very safe. You can read some reviews of the Casa Sora Chiara that give more details.
May 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM

p.s. I wouldn't have wanted to stay in Assisi based on our day trip there...way too many tourists! A must-see and good for a day visit IMHO. Perugia was nice and my pick if you want to stay in a bigger town. I could imagine staying there in a future trip. You should decide if you want a city or a village. The experiences will be very different.