Which village in Alsace?

Oct 28th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Which village in Alsace?

Have finally figured out the air travel and am now in process of looking at rentals for our month-long travels in France, Germany and Luxumbourg. We will be in Alsace in the first week of September 2018.

We're going to be in Alsace for a week - with a car - and we are considering gites and other types of cottages/apartments for us to stay in as a base for exploring the area. We like to be within walking distance of shops and restaurants - not huge fans of vastly overcrowded places, but understand this is a very popular destination, so we can be somewhat flexible - especially if it is a situation involving places that quiet down in the evenings after the day visitors have left.

So - we have narrowed it down to Ribeauville or Riquewihr. Both have similar rentals available with parking included - would one have an advantage over the other? Should we go ahead and book - or would there be another place that would be better for our explorations of the area?
Oct 29th, 2017, 01:08 AM

Of the two, I'd prefer Ribeauville, the walled town of Riquewihr is just buried in tourists and prices tend to follow.

Exploration, remember you have the N83/E35 as well as the route du vin to move north and south, the number road is the useful one for any distance so access to it is important and you need access going both ways (there are a few exits/entrances only going one way) just check on google maps.

Booking, yes if you like what you have found go for it, if you want an opinion on it then give us a link.

Good luck have a great time
Oct 29th, 2017, 01:25 AM

Riquewihr is very pretty, but on every daytripper list, so a bit swamped. Haven't been to Ribeauville, so can't comment on that. But, just in case you are looking at other options, the loveliest village we visited was Hunawihr, and Bergheim was delightful too, it is such a gorgeous area.
Oct 29th, 2017, 01:31 AM

We stayed in Riquewihr for a week a few years ago and loved it!

We rented an apartment here and would definitely do so again.
http://www.i-love-riquewihr.com

I loved that we did day trips and then returned ‘home’ once the day trippers left. We went to the same wine bar every night and got to know the owners. They also own a vineyard and she took us on a private tour! Great memories!

Our pics are here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...53485474/page1

Have a fabulous time!
Oct 29th, 2017, 02:51 AM

We know this area of Alsace very well. Another village you should consider is Kientzheim... very beautiful and not touristed. It's less than a mile to Kaysersberg, recently named the favorite village of the French. Riquewihr is an hour's walk over the hill through the vineyards or 15 minutes drive. There's a supermarket outside Kaysersberg and a good boulangerie a few minutes away in Sigolsheim. Kientzheim has two good restaurants and lots of wineries... no tour buses or tourist shops.

http://www.gites-kientzheim.com/en/

I can highly recommend these gites in Kientzheim. There is always parking nearby. These are owned by a wonderful local family.

Kathy
Oct 29th, 2017, 02:56 AM

I am not fond of either Riquewihr or Ribeauvillé. I find the kitsch factor almost overwhelming. I like Obernai and Kientzheim.
Oct 29th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Okay! Thank you all for just the advice I am looking for.

I think - despite the fact that the house itself I found in Riquewihr looks perfect - I will keep looking for something a little further away from the tourist crush. We have stayed in very touristic villages in other countries, and I totally know what the days can be like. (Cesky Krumlov comes back to haunt me at times ��)

Keintzheim sounds like a possibility ... a place that offers us opportunities to walk to other villages is high on our list.

Back to the drawing board, er computer screen ... will post again when we've decided. Again, thank you all for your valuable input!
Oct 29th, 2017, 07:36 AM

I stayed just up the hill from Eguisheim last year in a nice Gite, again, once the rush is over it can be good in these towns, Kientzheim is also nice.

https://en.gites-de-france.com/holid...-68G30154.html this is actually a two gite building and we stayed in the 6 person one with plenty of room etc
Oct 29th, 2017, 07:37 AM

if you follow my name back to october last year I did a write up to give you some ideas
Oct 29th, 2017, 08:55 AM

My choice has always been Obernai, but that's because that's where my family always went for a fabulous choucroute every time we drove to Alsace. It's a short ride on the commuter train from Strasbourg, but if you are driving, it is very close to Mont Sainte Odile, which is an absolute must if you have wheels.

I will hesitate about recommending Le Struthof, which is also in the area. It was the only Nazi death camp located on French soil. Visiting the museum and the cemetery there is a humbling experience.
Oct 29th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Yes, bilbo, I know that, and I am still looking at your very good suggestions for both this area and others. You have given me a lot of really good information, and I very much appreciate it and am using it.

The challenge now is in finding the apartment or house that will work best for us. Parking is an issue - we will have a rental car, and I don't want to pay for a space, also want parking that is somewhat secure and in close proximity of where we are staying.

What about Kayserberg? I have found a place there that looks great - https://www.flipkey.com/properties/6700498/ -
Oct 29th, 2017, 10:10 AM

nice enough place but I doubt parking is going to be easy/secure. These pedestrian areas fill up with tourists all day long and I'd not want to leave my car right there, the option may be to use a municipal car park (there are normally a few free ones and then a big paid for one, getting one of the free ones is a challange and of course it will be out of the way. The owner does not mention parking but if in doubt drop him an email.

I'd use gite de france website or the local town website as well to expand the horizons.
Oct 29th, 2017, 10:22 AM

So this might be the town website

https://www.kaysersberg.com/en/accom...ay-rentals.htm
which is a bit messy and covers the larger area, once you want to limit it to parking it knocks out a fair few.

gite de france is easier to use https://en.gites-de-france.com/holid...-68G30129.html looks nice but it may be more than you want to pay. (though if you look closely they have a second gite in the same building for less)

I don't know this place so not a recommendation but the "score" looks good and it is 2 minutes walk to the old town.
Oct 29th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

>>These pedestrian areas fill up with tourists all day long and I'd not want to leave my car right there, the option may be to use a municipal car park (there are normally a few free ones and then a big paid for one, getting one of the free ones is a challange and of course it will be out of the way.<<

One of the reviewers mentioned that the owner provides a token for the nearby car parks. (>>>We'd also like to mention that a parking token was provided, allowing us to park in a choice of nearby car parks for free during our stay, which was really appreciated!<<<)

The second link you showed us is not available for our dates, but I will check out the rentals that are under holiday-rentals. Thanks.
Oct 29th, 2017, 07:17 PM

Another vote for Obernai. Loved roaming around during the day. Lovely small town.
Oct 30th, 2017, 03:29 AM

We've spent almost two months total in Kientzheim over the last three years, and I've never been worried about the security of our vehicles. There's a small parking area in the center of the village, just beyond the gite where we now stay. And two minutes walk from the gite, just outside the remparts (walls) is more parking... all very safe and free!

You will love Alsace...

Kathy

Search this Thread