Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which Venice Hotel Has Better Breakfast-Flora or Ala?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:30 AM
mickey

Hello, <BR> <BR>We're having a hard time trying to choose between the Flora Hotel in Venice, and the Ala Hotel. So we thought that we would maybe be swayed by the breafast served at each. (I know this might sound weird, but we can't think of another way to make up our minds). <BR> <BR>Can anyone let us know what is served at either of the hotels for breakfast as well as quality level? In Rome, the hotel we stayed in,(Hotel Ranieri) served rolls, cheese, fruit spreads, and croissants. It was an ok breakfast, but we've had better. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the help!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:42 AM
elaine

At the Flora, they did not have the buffet with cheeses and cold meats you sometimes see. When I was last there I think I recall there was a small basket with bread and rolls, jam and butter,and tea or coffee, for each person.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:45 AM
carol

I don't know about the breakfasts, but I can tell you that the charm of the Flora is close to legendary--it's one of those hotels that people love and return to time and again. While the Ala looks very nice, especially in its renovated state, it has never gotten raves comparable to the Flora. Hope this helps in your decision--BTW, I don't think you can make a bad choice here!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:49 AM
elaine

I agree, I don't know the Ala but I <BR>LOVE the Flora. <BR>Hope you are thinking of booking many many months in advance, because reservations can be hard to get

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:20 AM
Logan

Mickey, <BR>Funny coincidence. A friend is going to Venice next month and I was telling her the best coffee I had in Italy was the coffee served at our little table in the breakfast room at Hotel Ala every morning--poured Italian style out of two pitchers, one containing espresso-strength coffee, the other hot milk. <BR>The breakfast buffet was staggering; not particularly imaginative but lots of it, and you could go back for refills--two or three kinds of cereal, fruits, yogurt, one meat each day, and eggs, although I didn't have eggs. <BR>Our room at the Ala overlooked a little canal in the back; we could have opted for a room overlooking the sunny and interesting square (S.Maria del Giglio I think.) <BR>We loved the Ala and would stay there again in a minute. I think it's a bit less expensive than the Flora and perhaps lacks its cachet, but its location centerpoint between Piazza S.Marco,the Accademia Bridge, and La Fenice is perfect. <BR>--Logan

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:27 AM
Logan

P.S. Oh yeah, one of the best things about the Hotel Ala's location is that it's about 50 yards away from the side entrance to Venice's finest Grand Canal hotel, Hemingway's beloved Gritti Palace. We went there every evening for a sunset drink on their terrace practically hanging over the Grand Canal--and reveled in the beauty.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:39 PM
momrath

i could go on and on about the flora, but will restrain myself to breakfast. the actual offerings on the scale of what can be had in european buffets are modest. you are given a basket of rolls, juice, good coffee and you can order eggs, bacon, toast. what makes the flora remarkable is that the waiter is one of the most friendly and charming people to ever greet you in the morning (this in a country full of friendly and charming waiters) and secondly the garden setting just oozes atmosphere. i haven't stayed at the ala or anywhere else in venice and i doubt that i ever will as my flora experience was perfect!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 06:55 AM
solomon

To settle the issue (and to save you a psychiatrist bill back home) you should split your stay in both. Start with the Flora, get a room overlooking the internal patio (make sure they don't give you their smallest one), enjoy the perfect hospitality of the whole staff (specially the charming waiter) and relax in the patio before goind out for dinner. Next you move to the Ala. Make sure to get a room overlooking the small canal. For your peace of mind you should experiment all, don't you? Well, thinking it over, you should stay a 2nd night and switch to the room overlooking the sunny and interesting S.M. del Giglio square. After filling your belly with cereal, fruits, yogurt, one meat each day, and eggs, don't forget to take a Dramamine pill. Enjoy your perfect central position to the Accademia and San Marco Square and be sure to get a belini in the Gritti Palace before dinner. Ask to be seated where Hemingway used to. <BR> <BR>For the sake of making your experience complete, forfait hotel breakfast alltogether one morning. Wake up early (a must) and get it at Florian instead. This is going to cost you some but chances are it'll finally give you a correct perspective. <BR> <BR>Oh ... do report here upon return.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 01:30 PM

we recently stayed at the Flora and loved it!!! The waiter in the morning was so wonderful-- remembering day to day what we ordered!! He was gracious to bring my sixteen year old son two Sicilian blood orange juices each morning!! We loved it!! Even though there are no eggs--- the basket of rolls and croissants are lovely ( and very European!!!) Enjoy! <BR>Mary