Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Uk websites should I use to book discount single journey train tickets? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-uk-websites-should-i-use-to-book-discount-single-journey-train-tickets-591194/)

goingtobeijing Feb 14th, 2006 02:40 PM

Which Uk websites should I use to book discount single journey train tickets?

And, how can I get these tickets, are there etickets or do I have to pick them up from the train station? I live in the US. Thnaks.

GeoffHamer Feb 14th, 2006 02:52 PM

Train routes in the UK are run by different operators. Types of ticket vary between operators, so you need to tell us which journeys you're planning.

sara_qc Feb 14th, 2006 02:55 PM

Check the train(s) you want to take. A rail-service/website will be given. You can pay with a credit card and have the e-ticket(s) delivered to a UK address - your hotel, for example. If tickets need to be sent overseas, they seem to cost a lot more. Booking ahead is cheaper than buying at the station. When you book ahead, you have to specify which train departure you want.
Sara

goingtobeijing Feb 14th, 2006 03:12 PM

I am looking for a ticket from London to York, and London to Oxford, and London to Windsor.

Barbara_in_CT Feb 14th, 2006 04:33 PM

Try www.thetrainline.com and have your tickets delivered to your first hotel. I've only used them once for journeys similar to yours but had just the results I wanted.

London to Windsor can be easily purchased at Waterloo station before your trip. This is a commuter type ride.

StephCar Feb 14th, 2006 05:02 PM

Saving this thread--thanks!

GeoffHamer Feb 15th, 2006 01:15 AM

For Windsor and Oxford, there is no advantage to buying in advance: just buy a ticket at the station and get on the next train.
Trains to York are run by GNER (www.gner.co.uk) who have various cheap fares if you commit yourself to a specific train. A ticket which allows you to turn up at the station and hop on the next train will cost more.

alanRow Feb 15th, 2006 03:35 AM

Go to the www.nationalrail.co.uk website. It can tell you who runs where & gives links to the various rail companies where - possibly - it might be cheaper to book tickets than through www.thetrainline.com

Note that thetrainline will charge a £1.50 booking fee and will try to slip an insurance charge into the total cost.

You should BTW be able to book tickets via www.nationalrail.co.uk & www.virgintrains.com for anywhere in the UK

willkate1980 Feb 15th, 2006 03:46 AM

Qjump are a great company and easy sight to navigate around

alanRow Feb 15th, 2006 03:57 AM

"Qjump are a great company and easy sight to navigate around"

Except that Qjump was bought by thetrainline several years ago & it now uses thetrainline website

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------