Which UK SIM card to buy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to double post. I thought I had this in the UK forum and didn't.

Telestial offers SIM cards from Talk Mobile and IDT. Talk Mobile is cheaper, but my DH wonders if one or the other is better in other ways -- like coverage, service or whatever? Or is there a better source altogether? We'd like to get the card before we go in case we need to call our transportation or the flat owners right after we arrive.

Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM

..see my response in the other posting...

You can also go to ebay to get your T Mobile UK sim card...I got one for a friend just about a week ago for about $5 shipped to the US so you will know your number.

I admit, it won't come with any time (do the telestial cards come with time) but upon arrival at most any large UK airport, you will find lots of places that will immediately top up the card for you; places like WHSmith, Boots, Dixons and then you're immediately in business.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Hi Sally,

There is no UK forum; only a Europe forum. You can check this by looking at the list of forums in the upper left corner of the screen. The country listings are used only for searching.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM

BTW...

I just did an ebay search and came across:

http://tinyurl.com/5rz6u4

$5 with shipping tothe USA for a T Mobile UK sim card but better hurry...it says only 2 are available.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Sim cards are often free here. COuld you have one delivered to your UK address (hotel)?

http://freesim.o2.co.uk/messages.php...e%20sim%20card

http://www.freesimcard.org.uk/

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/freesi...nFreGeAdd_0978
http://www.t-mobilesimgiveaway.co.uk...=ON_QM_A_BuyAT
http://www.virginmobile.co.uk/promo/duoSim.html

The last one comes with credit.

You will get good coverage with any of these, unless you are intending to travel to some remote Scottish island.

OOPs just read that you want to be able to use it on landing. Just need to figure out how to get a card to you - might be worth an e-mail to the various companies.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

adrienne -- Yes. I see what a mess I've created by having the same question in two places and trying to keep up.

xyz123 -- We will spend some time in Edinburgh, Lake District, around Hadrian's Wall, York, and others. Do you think the T Mobile coverage might be limited in those places? And would the coverage of the other providers also be limited there?

sashh -- I'll check out these sources. We still have about three weeks before departure, so there's time for a card to be sent.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Perhaps our British friends can answer your question regarding coverage...certainly Edinburgh should be no problem however...

One of the flexibilities of gsm is the ability to switch sim cards..

While not as cheap as T Mobile + ycw or T mobile's bundle, Orange UK has a sim card package called call abroad which features 6p/minutes calls to the USA and 7p/minute calls to Canada...if you run into coverage problems you can switch easily enough but I'm sure you don't want to spend your holiday switching sim cards and having to send different numbers to people who wish to reach you, granted (although, there are several call forwarding outfits that will give you a local USA number and forward the call to a British sim card for something like 13¢/minute where you switch the call to number via the web but I admit that is starting to get on the is it worth the bother side)....
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM

You won't have a problem with coverage in any of the areas you have mentioned.

I've just had a look through a drawer and I have a T mobile SIM. One of the freebies.

I don't mind posting it to you. I've just opened the package to check contents, There is a SIM, a top up card, the number and instructions to register and top up online so you could credit it in the US (or wherever you are, just guessed you were in the US)

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 12:08 AM

That's a very nice offer for the OP...

There are a couple of things to be aware of..

1. The sim card may have been stale if it's sat in your drawer for a while. It may or may not still work.

But here's the bigger problem.

2. T Mobile UK, like the other British carriers, will not allow you to register a credit card not issued in the UK to top up on line. The problem is that in registering the credit card for use, they ask for the postal code tied in with the credit card. This is evidently done to combat fraud. If you are from outside the UK, you are out of luck in this regard as you won't have a British postal code to tie in to the credit card. I know, I've tried it with my credit card; they won't take a US zip code...

But there's is nothing wrong with the offer to the OP. And by attempting to register the sim card on the web site, it might tip him or her off as to whether the card is still valid.

Incidentally, other than Orange UK, reistering the sim card is totally voluntary. It will work whether registered or not.

The OP will just have to wait till arrival in London or wherever to top it up using the swipe card.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

sashh -- Thank you for your very kind offer. Send an e mail to this address [email protected] and I will send my mailing address. I'd be glad to reimburse you for the postage. And I am in the US -- good guess. Thanks again for offering to send the card. I really appreciate it.