Which two months to go to Stockholm?

Aug 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Which two months to go to Stockholm?

We are in the VERY EARLY stages of planning a two month trip. We are tentatively staking out Stockholm as a base. We will rent a house/apartment and stay two months. Our girls will be 3 and 4 at the time so we will want to be able to get them out each day to run but bundling up is fine. We love to explore big cities and also would love to do sidetrips to Norway and Finland via train and possibly Denmark. What two consecutive (obvs) months would anyone suggest as the best. Also deciding between one month in Stockholm and one somewhere else (the Swedish countryside or Finland or Norway?) or both months in Stockholm...ideas?

FWIW we often travel to Europe in November and December and love it. We also spent three weeks in Spain in February/March a few years ago and thought that was an excellent time to be there. Cold weather is not an issue (we live in So. Calif so I truly enjoy a chance to break out the cold weather garb) and my biggest desire is to avoid times when the place is packed with tourists so I assume July and August (?) are out.
Aug 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM

I would assume you're correct that there are more tourists in July and August than other months, but I will say that I was in the Scand. countries for two weeks several years ago in mid-July and never felt the impact of crowds. I don't remember ever having to wait in a long line, or not being able to see something I was interested in because there were too many people. There were no issues getting train tickets, including a sleeper berth for 2. It was a beautiful time to be there and we were able to enjoy a little time on a boat with a family friend. There is a huge number of hours per day of sunlight then, too, which allows for long days if you need them (but with young kids, probably not so much). Food for thought...
Aug 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM

I would go in June and July.
Aug 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM

Suggesting May & June, with one month in Stockholm and the next month in Norway (or vice versa, either works). That way you're getting weather more conducive to outdoor activities (although it will still be chilly, esp if this "Summer" is anything to go by) and more daylight (but not the screaming constant daylight of high Summer) without being too crowded. And you can see different areas of each country from your bases, plus you can do a few trips to Denmark, Finland etc from each relevant base. Mind you, a trip to Finland (from Sweden, or Norway which would be the very long way round) will involve the 16 hour overnight ferry to Helsinki or a flight (there are cheap ones to be had, just have to book well in advance). Latvia and Lithuania could feature in your trips as well, depending on visa requirements for your nationality.
Aug 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM

I have no aversion to cold weather (living in Michigan) but suggest the summer months. I've been to Stockholm in August and in January.

Make a visit to Copenhagen for Tivoli. It's only open in the summer and a few weeks around Christmas. See the Viking and Thor Heyerdahl museums in Oslo. You can't believe that a sane man would go to sea on those things, but he proved a point. The glass factories at Orrefors, Kosta, and Boda are a good stop and sell *seconds* for a fraction of the US price. The overnight ferry to Helsinki has been one of my favorite trips for decades. The buffet dinner is fantastic. The Silja Line has magnificent ferries. Helsinki isn't much but you can take a short trip over to Vilnius. Vilnius has a great old town. It is a chore to get into the other Baltic countries but they are also very interesting.

Stockholm has a very good history museum, the Wasa, and the old town Gamla Stan for entertainment.
Aug 4th, 2011, 11:19 PM

Stockholm is beautiful in the summer months so would suggest June/July and this summer has been mostly very good especially at the moment & early May/June. In any case outdoor activities are not limited to the good weather and really I have not seen Scandinavia packed with tourists. I also recommend the ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm or vv, also a stay on one of the islands eg Bornholm which is a popular holiday destination, Tivoli definitely.
Aug 5th, 2011, 12:13 AM

I've been to Stockholm in both the summer and the winter. I'd recommend the summer. So beautiful, so much to do, and I love the long days. With that said, my 1st two trips to Stockholm were in November and December. It can be done and with fun, but the cold, wet, and dark "novelty" may wear off quick.

One of the great things about Stockholm is that even smack dab in the middle of their high tourist season, it never feels overrun with tourist (Unless you go to Gamla Stan). I was just there for 2 weeks in July, and I had no problems with crowds.

I totally heart Stockholm!

Have Fun and Good Luck!
Aug 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM

I would do July and August. Cold is only a part of the problem in winter - the other major issues is how very short the days are, how many sights are closed oroperating on reduced schedules and how depressing all that darkness will be.

Scandinavia doesn't get mobbed in the summer as does Italy. There are many fewer busines travelers then and many locals are at their country cottages. August is low season for hotels in Stockholm.

That said I wouldn;t spend 2 months in one place - but would split it between Stockholm and Copenhagen - with perhaps a couple of weekend trips to other areas.