Which Trip Insurance Company?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go again. We are now planning to visit Croatia and wish to purchase Trip Insurance. But which company is trust worthy and offers the best protection for the money. We've always gone with Access America but recently there was bad press about them not honoring a claim for a trip delayed because of a local labor strike.

One does not know about how good an insurance company might be until unfortunately you might need them. Has anyone filed a legitimate claim against a company and have it denied? I would sure like to hear who and how badly they treated you.

We would also appreciate hearing from you about your travels and experiences in Croatia.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Adam, I don't have any experience with trip insurance companies, as we never felt the need to invest in one, but your second question was about Croatia so I thought I would post the link to my trip report. We went to Croatia last November and had a fantastic time.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ath+montenegro

My pics can be found at www.kodakgallery.com/tracybates

Good luck and happy planning!
Tracy
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Adam, when you say "trip insurance" do you mean the kind of comprehensive policy for people who pay in advance for a group tour?? Or are you just talking about medical insurance abroad during a trip? I only get the latter but think you mean the former. If you are travelling independently, you do not have much at risk except plane fare if plans must be cancelled.

I always go to insuremytrip.com, which provides comparisons with ALL companies providing either kind. I have used this resource for medical trip insurance during 7 extended trips.

TIP: to see the full range of policies in a table, click on "Quotes" on the lefthand column. If you want to see just the range of Medical insurance policies, when u fill in the blanks, put "0" under value of trip and "0" under medical as well.

ALSO, if you want to discuss it with an operator there is a toll-free # and they are VERY helpful
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:02 AM

ccc
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
twk

I've bought insurance through Travel Guard 3 times, and actually had to file one claim for trip cancellation (travel partner broke a leg just before trip). Excellent to deal with. Would highly reccommend them if they provide the coverage you are looking for.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:30 AM

First, I have used TravelGuard for the last 6 years and luckily have never had to file a claim, but they are very easy to deal with. Second, Croatia is an amazing country. The scenery breathtaking, the people warm and friendly, the food simple, fresh and delicious. I was there in 10/06, 10/07 and returning in April of 08. If things work out, I could be living there some day.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Barb, you are going back again in April?? I am sooo jealous! Are you really thinking about moving there?

-Tracy
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I've been very happy with TravelEx insurance. Due to an unfortunate accident, we did have to file claims with them, and it was the easiest thing in the world. We got our claims back very quickly, within a month of filing final paperwork. TravelEx is a primary insurer, and I will only deal with primary insurers from now on.

I had used Berkley Care before, and will never use them again. They kept denying my legitimate medical and luggage claims, and then finally, they lost our receipts, after which they just ignored our letters and calls. They are a secondary insurer, so we had to file a claim with our existing insurers before claiming with Berkley Care.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Tracy it's true! just bought my txs through Croatia Travel 1-800-662-7628. Much cheaper than online sites. It's still in the fantasy stage, and not wanting to jinx it, but yes, living there, maybe even part-time is a possiblity.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Adam,

We had our trip insurance through Access America this year for our trip to Munich. My Mom got sick at the last minute (the day we were supposed to leave) and had to file a claim. Despite the fact that they had all of the important information from when we purchased the tickets, they did ask for it all again. That was a bit of a pain because once the trip was over I deleted most of the info from my computer (thankfully, it was only in the trash, so I was able to find it again). My mom had her refund check in about 3-4 weeks.