Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which travel book for Europe is the most helpful?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Sally

I would like to buy a few travel books and would like to know which one(s) is the most helpful. The most popular one, of course, is Rick Steves. What other suggestions can you recommend?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:25 PM
jw

Any of the Eyewitness DK Travel Guides.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:29 PM
carol

I like Michelin green guides, Blue Guides, and Cadogan guides.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:52 PM
pam

Without Rick Steves' book, we would not have spent two days in Beaune and two days in Chamonix. These places ended up being two of the highlights of our trip to Europe. I didn't want to lug thick books around, so I tore out the pages that were pertinent and took those.<BR>I also liked the AAA spiral-bound guides to London, Venice, Tuscany and Rome.<BR>Pam

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Jean

Eyewitness and ... uh ... Fodors!<BR><BR>I also like Tripbuilder booklets (Rome, Florence, Paris, etc.) which provide basic descriptions of the most popular/important sights arranged in walking tour order. The Tripbuilder maps, however, are too skimpy for me, so I always carry a good city map. (Although I've seen some Tripbuilder booklets in Barnes & Noble, I bought mine on Amazon.)

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:34 PM
anne

I actually like Frommers the best then Fodors.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Uncle Sam

DK are IMHO the very best. I also like Fodors and Rick Steves. However for detail and pictures DK is the very best.<BR><BR>I have a DK book on Great Britain on my coffee table...outstanding photos!<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Arnaldo

Forget all the crab, get the Fodor’s Europe 2002 Guide, and as a complimentary book, get The Michelin Guide for the particular country or region you will visit, believed me,that’s all you need.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:09 PM
slider

<BR>This looks like another of the weekly Rick Steves trolls. Doesn't he have his own web site and bulletin board? Michelin, Fodor's, DK Eyewitness, Lonely Planet, and others are much better guide books. Whether or not Steves is the "most popular" is irrelevant.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Uncle Sam

Slider,<BR><BR>Steves books are not my favorites, but they are easy to follow and simply written. Not much artwork, but valuable none the less.<BR><BR>However I really dislkie his choice of lodging. He thinks everyone needs to sleep on a bunk bed or be mucho spartan.<BR><BR>Not all of us travel to Europe on a shoe string.<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Jennifer

Hi Sally,<BR><BR>I'd never heard of Rick Steves until I saw his name on this board! Personally, I think each guide book has its own strong area. Generally, if I had to take only one book, I'd go with Lonely Planet. However, to me, DK has the most comprehensive photos, which is important in planning a trip, I think. As for shopping, restaurants, and nightlife, Time Out series is my absolute favorite. For the most information packed in as little space as possible, I like Michelin. Cadogen often contains information not found in the others. Personally, I would find it extremely difficult to read only one book!<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Marc David Miller

A recommendation depends on where in Europe you wish to explore.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Anna

I took the "Lets Go" books with me on my trip to Europe, and I thought they offered good descriptions about neighborhoods and museums/attractions.<BR><BR>I don't know if anyone else felt this way about the Lets Go books, but I didn't like the hotel recommendations they made, and I think the food section if focused especially to budget/student travelers.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:23 PM
doug

Open Road. Lots of good ideas on eats and lodging. I admit less important since I found this forum.<BR>Eyewitness for maps and pictures.<BR>Fodors and Frommers will take you where all the other Americans are but you will hit all the high spots which is not all bad. They are up to date and accurate<BR>etc.<BR>etc.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Kay

Another vote for DK. I also like Frommers

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Lucy

Me too! I usually team up a DK Eyewitness with a Frommers (I like their layout more than Fodors I guess)

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:23 PM
guidebooks

I respect Rick Steves (especially for less experienced travelers) but posters should realize he is a U.S. phenomenon.<BR><BR>It depends on what budget & style you have for travel and what countries or cities you are most interested in. For instance I found Let's Go Amsterdam perfect for my first visit to that city last month. (Fodors, Frommers, etc. would not have even addressed some of my specific questions about the city, i.e. 'coffeehouse' scene.)<BR><BR>My suggestion for Sally is go to a bookstore and look thru them all herself... Besides the contents, ease of use, layout of information, index, maps, etc. are important and different in each one.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:36 PM
EYEGUY

EYEWITNESS, hands down. Not too bulk, much info with routes, Tube Stops (for London), good pictures, lots and lots of helpful day-to-day info in the back

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:43 PM
june

I like Insight Guides best - for the historical/cultural info and the photos.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Sally

Thank you all for your valuable information. I will look into all of your recommendations and choice a few to take w/ me to read on the plane. My husband and I will be in Italy, Spain, and France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -