Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thinking about a day in Evia , Greece. Anyone been there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- I'm thinking about spending a day in Evia. Just wondering if anyone has been there and if so, any reccomendations?
Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Where would you be, BEFORE and AFTER?? It isn't exactly on the beaten track....
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM

hi suefahy

Have a look at this thread. It may help a little:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...via-greece.cfm
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Evia is not far from Athens, joined to the mainland by a bridge. Nevertheless, I can't see it as a practical day trip from Athens. It's the second largest island in Greece (after Crete). I've only been on the northern tip, stopping on a hydrofoil from Skiathos.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking of a day trip from Athens- since I had read it was joined to the mainland by a bridge, I thought it might be a good place to check out- maybe a beach or village closest to the mainland. Does anyone know how long of a drive it is from the city? Hey Travelerjan and Heimdall! I'm still running ideas through my head on something to do with the kids on our last day in Athens. We have to be back at the airport by 4:30pm for a 6pm flight so we have a big portion of the day to explore some place new.
Thanks billbarr- I
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Yes Evia is attached to the mainland by a bridge sue -- but it's way the heck on the other side of the Greek Mainland!! 4 hours by train?? That's as if you were in DC, and heard that Long Beach lsland was connected to New Jersey by a bridge, and thought, maybe a day trip. hee hee ... a map of Greece is always useful; here's one, click on it and it enlarges"
http://www.travelswise.com/Map/Greece-Map-large.jpg

I wrote you a long thing about Cape Sounion for a Beach day ... what happened to that idea? You really only have a few hours, since yo have to leave for the airport by 3:30. There's a new type of Museum in Athens that I hear kids love, it's very electronic, Hellenic Cosmos -- a new Centre where you can wear "virtual reality glasses/helments" and use a "wand" and experience 3-d environment of all kinds of ancient sites as they would have looked ... check it out: and right in Plaka is he museum of GReek Popular instruments, i know I know sounds like a drag but there are earphones at every display case & you can hear how every instrument sounds, kinda neat.
http://www.athensinfoguide.com/wtsmu...eniccosmos.htm
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

I know travelerjan...trying to see it all in such a short time. I was in Greece about 17 years ago for 10 days- this time I'll be there for 17, and it still does not seem like enough! I booked all of my flights, then kicked myself for not extending my stay, or at least seeing some places I have never been to before. Thanks for the map- I was hoping it was only an hour- maybe 1 1/2 hours from Athens- couldn't really tell from the small map I was using. I do want to go to Cape Sounion, and that is probably what we will do....I just have this picture in my head of a little coastal village- with fishermen bringing in their catch of the day- lots of local color- like in a movie!lol! We may just check out the Hellenic Cosmos Museum as well during our stay(we're in Athens for 3 days total)- My younger daughter would get a kick out of that!
I appreciate all the info- thanks so much!
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 02:06 AM

I don't like to comment on places I've never been, but <i>"...it's way the heck on the other side of the Greek Mainland!! 4 hours by train??"</i>

Hang on!!!

There are frequent ferries from Rafina (20 minutes from Athens Airport) to Marmari, a port on the island of Evia. The ferry takes one hour. Today (Sun 7 Feb), even in the dead of winter, there are four ferries from Rafina to Marmari. I'm still not convinced it would be a worthwhile day trip, but it would be easy enough to do. What say you, Bill Barr?
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 03:53 AM

Hi,

I have not been to Evia, but the Temple of Poseideon at the tip of the Sunion pen. is fabulous. It is so beautifully positioned and usually not as many tourist there. The trip by car along the coast is lovely. Then after that you could drive to a town call Porto Rafi on the east coast and not far from the airport. Here there is a lovely beach. The other plan is to go to the beach at Marathon. It is a long sandy beach and a delightful way to spend the day and not far from the airport. I would go for the Temple to Poseidon.
Have a great trip,
Yipper
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 05:40 AM

I stand corrected Heimdall ... but they start from Central Athens, so you'd have to add another hour, at least outbound, if they take a metro to the Airport. Then stashing their luggage, then waiting for the bus (or paying for a taxi to Rafina) then waiting for the ferry, etc etc. Again -- like Sounion on public transport -- an Evia outing probably would require some careful clock-watching to achieve... not the best way to relax on one's last day. BUt thanks for your knowledgeable correction! What are your thoughts about Yipper's tweaking of a Sounion trip?
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Personally I think Sounion would be a better option, but I applaud suefahy for thinking of something original. Evia is very popular with Athenians, but not many Americans can say they have been there.

BTW, there are buses from central Athens directly to Rafina, taking about an hour, I believe, so via the airport by metro isn't the only way to get there: http://www.ktelattikis.gr/. In late June the Artemissia ferry will probably make 5-7 trips spread throughout the day from Rafina to Marmari.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:54 AM

The KTEL link I provided is only in Greek, but the default setting is for Athens-Rafina. Just click on the button with the magnifying glass, and it will show you departure times. To find departure times from the airport, scroll up one place in the top box from 'Athina' to 'Aerodromio Eleftherios' (the letters are in Greek, but you should be able to make them out).

You can find return times by switching around the names to Rafina-Athens.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone-
We will most likely go to Cape Sounion- that sounds like the best bet. I don't want to chance missing our flight to Mykonos. I think I would be more inclined to take a bus if I didn't have to worry about catching a flight later...I'm still thinking a Taxi tour if I can get one at a reasonable price- I'm looking into it. I think it would be a more relaxing day if I didn't have to worry about luggage and bus schedules throughout the day...I wouldn't normally splurge like that, but I'm not in Grecce very often!;-)
Maybe on my next trip, I will be able to see more!
Again- thanks for sharing your knowledge with me...and if you have any cool-off the beaten path-ideas for our stays in Mykonos (5 days) and Santorini (9 days), let me know.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Sue ... if you want off the beaten path, you have picked 2 islands where it will be the biggest challenge to find off-path discoveries ... perhaps billbarr can help you.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM

I agree with travelerjan. For Mykonos and Santorini, you may as well go with the flow, and do what everyone else does. Since you plan to spend 9 days on Santorini, think about breaking it up with a few days on Folegandros (where I've been) or Anafi (which I would love to visit one day). Both islands have direct ferry connections with Santorini, Anafi being the more out of the way. This link courtesy of dianabiz, who writes on Trip Advisor: http://www.anafi.gr/
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM

As I said in the previous thread, I was very impressed with Evia especially the fact it felt like a step back in time. I bet it hasn’t changed too much. As far as I am aware there are very, very few companies offering holidays to Evia therefore much of it may be the same as it was when I visited so many years ago.

It sounds a bit strange but I found a kind of 'freshness' there. Locals who were happy to meet and greet you and pleased you had made the effort. They are so used to Athenians only! LOL.

Oh that you had more time. Yes, you could do it in one day but you would not see too much. It may have the effect of making you wish you had more time and sometimes that can be very frustrating. All that said, if I make my mind up to go somewhere then by any means I will. But, that in itself has caused me so many problems in the past.

Why don’t you put it at the top of your list for your NEXT visit to Greece and spend at least three days minimum.

Bill
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Heimdall and Travelerjan-
I agree- they are such popular islands, it will be hard to get away from the big tourist crowds. I'm going to look into Folegandros and Anafi- I haven't been to either before. I think we may also rent a car for a few days while in Santorini, since we are staying in Oia- that way we can just explore- probably will rent a car for a day or so in Mykonos as well.
-Wish I could stay for the entire summer and see more....I already don't want t come home!lol!
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Sue

Here are a few of my suggestions for Mykonos. Some folks have found them useful in the past and I hope you do too:

+ sit in the town’s little outdoor theatre in the evening watching some local singing and dancing

+ visit the superb caves at Dragonizi

+ take the short bus trip over the hill from Mykonos town to Ano Mera and visit the 16th century Church of Panagia Tourliani and marvel at the icons there. The best taverna's for traditional Myconian food can be found in this village.

+ stroll the very short distance from Ano Mera to Palaiokastro hill and find the ruins of a medieval Venetian castle

+ relax, walk through and get lost in one of the most beautiful island towns in the Cyclades

+ take the 10 minute local bus trip from town to Agios Ioannis and hopefully be there when a point of light mysteriously appears on the sea between the Agios Ioannis and the island of Delos. This phenomenon is known locally as the Apollonia effect

+ Check out another superb little 17th century monastery called Agios Panteleimon at Marathi

+ visit Delos and be amazed (there are a number of small boats used to transport folks the short distance between Mykonos old port and Delos - try and use the Orca which is an ex-navy boat and more stable than the others)

If I can help you with any other information about the island let me know.

Bill
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill- Yes, the wheels are already spinning for my NEXT trip! It will absolutley be on my list- as are Lesvos, Crete, Chios, Rhodes...too many to mention!
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Bill- Ano Mera is on my 'must see' list.
I had read that there was an outdoor theatre- I think my girls and I would love that. We are staying in Mykonos Town- our hotel is about 250m. from the old port of Mykonos town. Do you have a name for the theatre or location?
Thanks again for the 'to do' list- I will print it and bring it with us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -