Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which town to start a 3 hour Dordonge river canoe trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-town-to-start-a-3-hour-dordonge-river-canoe-trip-822027/)

Laurie Jan 16th, 2010 02:20 PM

Which town to start a 3 hour Dordonge river canoe trip?

My husband and I plan to visit the Dordogne region of France in mid June 2010. We have rented a gite near St Cyprien. We would like to take about a 3 hour long canoe trip on the Dordogne river and would like to see a very scenic area with villages and castles in the distance.

What would be good towns to start and finish from? Can you recommend a good company to rent a canoe?

Thank you! Laurie

StCirq Jan 16th, 2010 04:08 PM

Take the main road from St-Cyprien to Beynac. Keep your eyes out for a sign that says St-Vincent-de-Cosse (on the right). There will be a huge, fancy château-hotel on your left right about the time you hit St-Vincent-de-Cosse. You'll see a kind of makeshift sign that says canoëing - sometimes it's on the ground and sometimes it's nailed to a tree. Turn right at the sign and follow the road through fields about a mile until you see a parking lot on your left (and on your right amid the trees). Tell them you want to do the 6-km run from La Roque-Gageac back to St-Vincent. It might take 2 hours or 3, depending on the currents, but it's the prettiest run, going by all the castles and whatnot. And the least expensive, friendliest canoe rental place (and we've tried them all many, many times).

Dee_Dee Jan 16th, 2010 04:25 PM

Great question and great answer. StCirq, would you happen to know if the canoe company also rents kayaks? I plan on being in the Dordogne in 2011 and am an avid kayaker. Thanks!

Laurie Jan 16th, 2010 04:28 PM

Thank you, St Cirq for the very detailed instructions! We are going to follow them for our canoe trip down the Dordogne. It looks like a very scenic and peaceful float.

Laurie

Laurie Jan 16th, 2010 04:34 PM

St Cirq,
I am trying to find St Vincent on a map. Is that it's full name?
Thanks again. Laurie

StuDudley Jan 16th, 2010 04:35 PM

Personally, I would start in Cenac, and not Roque Gageac. You want to get the full "exposure" of Roque Gageac. Cenac is the next village up-river from Roque Gageac - and a popular dumping-off place for trips down the Dordogne.

>>would like to see a very scenic area with villages and castles in the distance.<<

You'll see most of the villages & castles right at the river's shore - not in the distance.

Stu Dudley

Laurie Jan 16th, 2010 04:35 PM

Oops, sorry, I just went back and read your post and I see that it is St Vincent- de- Cosse.

Laurie Jan 16th, 2010 04:38 PM

Thanks, Stu. I will research this option.
Laurie

StuDudley Jan 16th, 2010 04:41 PM

>>I am trying to find St Vincent on a map. Is that it's full name?<<

just a bit (1-2K) west of Beynac. I hope you are using Michelin Map #329. I believe the road St Cirq is referring to is actually west of St Vincent on the south side of the D703.

Stu Dudley