Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which town to base in for trips to trogir, split, omis, makarska, brac?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

besides brac, is it easy to take busses or taxis to these towns, or is it better to have a car? can we ferry from town-to-town? any recommendations on where to base ourselves?
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 09:43 PM

We travelled between Trogir, Cavtat, Omis, Makarska, and Dubrovnic and bus September last with no problems at all. Buses were modern, clean, frequent, cheap, and seemed quite safe -- as apposed to driving. That road would spoil my trip; I'd be so intent on making the curves and avoiding the drivers coming the other way that I would miss all of the marvelous scenery.

My advice would be to "Leave the Driving to Us".

I'm sure you will have a marvelous trip in that wonderful area.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

nukesafe,in which town was your hotel?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:16 PM

LOL. Are those towns or typos??? Sorry, if it's not Paris, London, or Rome, I'm lost. Not enough of a world traveler, I guess!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 01:48 PM

bodhijack,

We stayed in both Trogir (Sobe - just fine) and in Split (Hotel Bellevue - not good). Also stayed in a Sobe in Makarska - just picked one of the nice old ladies holding signs as we got off the bus. I was up a hill, but only a few blocks from the waterfront action. Squeaky clean, cheap, and they were more than friendly.

We did not stay in Omis. Just got off the bus and arranged to take a cruise up the river. Left our luggage at the boat landing and a young chap took us up river for a delightful afternoon on the cyrystal clear water 9you could see the fish swimming among the rocks on the bottom) with a stop for a great lunch.

I did a six-part trip report which you could look up by searching my name, if you want more details.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

nukesafe, thank you, again. i will print-out your trip report. what is a "sobe"?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:25 PM

A sobe is a room in a private home. Many, many Croatians rent out rooms in their houses. In places like Split, Hvar, etc., you will find people (often old ladies) standing at the gangplank of the ferry, or at the bottom of the bus steps holding signs. The sighs will say "Sobe", "Zimmer", or "Room". You ask them the particulars and the price and take it from there. Ask how far it is, the price, and go to see it. If it doesn't turn you on, just say "no" and walk away.

In my experience hey have always been cheap and clean. They generally do not offer breakfast or other food, but always have a bath (sometimes shared) and friendly people.

You can also go to the Tourist Bureau in the town and they will connect you with the landlord of the kind of place and in the price range you want.

Do a search on this board of "sobe" under "Croatia", and I'm sure you will get a lot of other ideas. Sometimes you can even find some of them on line and reserve ahead.

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

nukesafe, thank you.......