Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which Stockholm Hotel Choice ... Modern or Old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2017, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked 2 placeholders with no cancellation fees. (We seem to have hit Stockholm at an incredibly busy time... things are REALLY booked up during my time there!!)

Both hotels are exactly the same price per night ( .$205 )

Radisson Blu Waterfront and Scandic Gamla Stan.

Radisson: Water view, high-ish floor, large room, modern and clean.
negatives are that it's a huge hotel, not in old town, does not come with breakfast

Scandic: In old town right by metro and boat landings, includes breakfast.
negatives are that it is a tiny (11 sq meters) room, a bit worn 'round the edges.

Which would you choose as a tourist visiting for 3 days???
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually prefer small and local, but in this case I might go for the water view. I found the old town far, far too crowded for my taste and would prefer to stay elsewhere. If you are there in summer make sure you have AC.

The Radisson will probably have a mini bar so you can always pick up supplies for breakfast - that's what I did.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:15 AM

For only 3 nights --- you will be out and about far more than in your room. I would opt location, and breakfast. I like being able to walk right out of hotel and be in the midst of things on vacation.

A Marriott is a Marriott is a Marriott. Close your eyes in the room or close the shades and you could be anywhere in the world.

My 2 kronas...
Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks... so far both answers are opposite, and just the things i was debating!

That the old town is super crowded is an issue... but I had not thought that air conditioning would be an issue in Stockholm ??
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not want to stay within Gamla Stan at all. I prefer to be outside of it with more open views and setting.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there in early August and I definitely needed AC. In fact, I started that trip in Potsdam, and needed AC for northern Germany and Scandinavia as far as Bergen

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...goes-north.cfm
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:44 PM

Difficult. I personally don't like the Radisson's location, I go there now and then for seminars and I really don't like the area. Never been inside the rooms but the lobby didn't impress me. Very standard. The Old Town is much much nicer that the area around the Radisson and has the advantage of being in the middle of town, but I wouldn't call 11 m2 a room. Still, I'd go for the Old Town if I was alone, much better location. I don't think crowds are such a problem, maybe in the main street but it will be fairly empty for the most part. At least it always is when I am there (not very often).

We keep the heating in our bathroom in Stockholm on year-round, but AC may be necessary during the summer in rooms facing south.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:57 PM

We have stayed at the Radisson Blu Waterfront and the location worked well for us. We were on a high floor and loved the view. We did get breakfast with our room - possibly paid more to get it, I don't remember. The breakfast was FABULOUS!!