Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Stockholm airport? Skavsta or Vasteras (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-stockholm-airport-skavsta-or-vasteras-322865/)

Waverley Jun 1st, 2003 02:15 PM

Which Stockholm airport? Skavsta or Vasteras

Are there any considerations in making a choice between these 2 airports, in terms of ease and convenience in getting to either from Stockholm?
Or should I just go by which one has the more convenient flying times and prices for me.

abram Jun 1st, 2003 05:08 PM

I believe that Arlanda is significantly closer to Stockholm. There is a train that runs from Arlanda into downtown Stockholm.

rex Jun 1st, 2003 06:19 PM

I believe that Waverley's point is that these are the only two airports served by Ryanair - - to fly to Sweden for a song.

Regretably, I cannot answer. I suspect that they are similarly inconvenient.

But not the end of the world.

Best wishes,

Rex

Waverley Jun 1st, 2003 06:56 PM

Thanks for your responses,Abram (or is it Andee?), and Rex. Yes, Arlanda is definitely more convenient but actually Stansted airport is better for my destination in England (Norfolk) so Ryanair might work.

Rex, you are probably right about them being equally inconvenient. I know you are somewhat a fan of Ryanair. What have your experiences been?

rex Jun 1st, 2003 07:35 PM

I have flown Ryanair five times, twice in 1999 and three times in 2003 - - there is the "Ryanair experience" and then there is the "Stansted experience".

At little airports, Ryanair is no different than flying from a little airport in the US.

Stansted is quite at capacity, perhaps all the time nowadays. And the distances to walk are quite lengthy. do not try to show up less than 90 minutes before your flight.

In the air, a plane is a plane. they push their overpriced drinks and such, but only mildly so.

I have yet to pay the baggage overage, and did not have carry-ons weighed Graz-Stansted (perhaps because two people checked them - - staying under 20 kg average for our family of five for checked bags), and thus only three of five even had a carry-on.

jtankers Jun 1st, 2003 08:08 PM

I recently flew RyanAir from Stanstead into Vasteras, and was caught by surprise at how far from Stockholm Vasteras is- approximately an hour on the bus. Roundtrip bus tickets from Vasteras to Central Station in Stockholm cost about $35 per person, and since RyanAir seemed to be about the only airline to use Vasteras, the bus schedule was congruent with flight times. My only caution against flying into Vasteras would be to make sure that your flight comes into Sweden before 8 PM (we didn't get in until 11:30 at night, and had a little trouble checking into our hotel at 1 AM).

Absurd Jun 1st, 2003 11:16 PM

You can find some info about transport from both airports on www.ryanair.com/dest/stockholm_around.html