Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which route driving from Fussen to Berchtesgaden?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The distance and driving time is about the same whether we drive in Germany or choose to drive through Austria. Viamichelin mentions both as suggested routes.

We will be driving one day in later May. Would one of the routes offer a more scenic drive or give us a pleasant diversion during the drive? Thanks for any suggestions, Deborah
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Do the Germen Alpenstrasse:

http://www.yougosave.com/alpine.html

http://tinyurl.com/dx4lct

Absolutely gorgeous scenery along the way: snow-peaked mountains, alpine lakes, twisty roads, beautiful farmland, not too much traffic. We headed South right near the "E" on the Google map and finished the route driving through Austrian ski territory, through Lofer, then into Germany near Ramsau. Wait until you get to Austria to tank up. Gas is much cheaper there and the Germans themselves head South just to save a few bucks.

We started in Garmisch at the Olympic ski jump. headed through the cute little village of Wallgau, stopped for photos along the lakes in the region, made a brief detour to Benediktbeuren Abbey, drove through the busy village of Rottach-Egern, slalomed through the Tatzelwurm road, turned south at Oberaudorf, entered Austria on the Walchseestrasse, turned south again to pass through the ski resort of Sankt Johan, then on up into Germany and Berchtesgadederland after Lofer.

Absolutely one of the nicest areas in Europe in my eyes. See my blog at: http://tinyurl.com/7nbsf6c
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Otzi, thanks for the helpful route suggestion and including the link to the google map. I enjoyed reading your blog also. Loved the red BMW convertible but less so in winter---just call me a Freeze Baby Deborah
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 02:11 PM

I like to go from Fussen to the Wieskirche, to Oberammergau, (Linderhof if you havent been there), Ettal Monastary, Garmish, Mittenwald then dow throught the Inn valley skirting around Innsbruck. Then to Berchtesgaden and on in to Salzburg. Depending on how many stops you make this could extend over a day or two. It is a great drive with lots to see along the way.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

AisleSeat, we will make the drive in a day as a point to point between Fussen and Berchtesgaden. It is my plan to visit many of the sights you mention while we are in Fussen. Thanks for your suggestions of the Inn Valley--I'll have to do some research on that area. Deborah
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM

Another route, perhaps a bit more direct but no leass scenic is: Fuessen - south to Lermooos - east to Garmisch- to Zirl. Before you get to Zirl, in Austria or Germany get a Vignette i.e. a toll sticker to use the Austrian Autobahns. Aboutn $10 for 10ndays. If you get caught on an Austrian autobahn without it, and believe me you WILL get caught, it will cost you over $120, payable on the spot.

At Zirl, get on the A-12 autobahn past Innsbruck and north- east to the Oberaudorf exit. From there, head on a lovely road east past the Wilde Kaiser Mountain massif to Koessen, Reit im Winkel. Reit is perhaps the prettiest mountain village in Germany.

In Reit, pick up the B-305 Deutsche Alpenstrasse (German Alpine Road) to Berchtesgaden. All this can be easily driven within a day, with lots of ooohhh-aaah scenic stops, lunch and afternoon Kaffee und Kuchen (coffee and pastry) breaks.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM

using treplow's suggested route (the garmisch to berchtesgaden portion), can someone tell us how long in time assuming we drove straight-through? (depending on the answer we'll add hours for sightseeing)