Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which part of switzerland is Swiss Alps in?

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:17 AM
Karen

I would like to know which part of Switzerland is Swiss Alps in? I've been to Zermatt before but my sis complained that it was too bored. Is swiss alps the same? Can anyone introduce me any place besides swiss alps, interlaken and Zermatt?

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:50 AM
Ed

Several.

The Valais (e.g. Zermatt), the Oberland (e.g. Jungfrau/Interlaken region) and the Engadine (e.g. St. Moritz) are all part of the Swiss Alps.

If you or your sister find those places boring you should reconsider whether you really want to visit the mountains.

Ed

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 07:38 AM
Bob Brown

I think Ed hit right on the button. Zermatt is in the heart of the Pennine Alps, the main range of which stretches from Col St. Bernard the Simplon Pass.

To me, Switzerland is about the Alps, banking centers, precision instruments, skillful engineering, cows, and dairy products!
If mountains of the magnitude of the Berner Oberland and the Pennine Alps do not thrill you, then I really think that you would enjoy yourself more elsewhere.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 11:58 AM
carolyn

Bob, how could you leave out chocolate? Lindt is *the* best!

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 12:36 PM
SharonM

Not a big fan of Zurich either, I really enjoy Lucerne and its surrounding mountain areas including Engelberg/Titlis. Personally, not sure what's not to like about the Jungfrau area (Grindelwald, Wengen, etc) though there's not much to Interlaken itself. I even like Bern!

Can't tell from your post if you're trying to avoid the Alps or see the Alps. What are your interests? Answers to these questions might better guide others in their contributions.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 12:40 PM
SharonM

oops, I had Zurich on the brain when I was actually reading "Zermatt". Haven't been to Zermatt, actually.
Sorry 'bout that brief lapse there.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 09:05 PM
Christine

The Alps start just south of Lucerne (where I happen to live) and pretty much stretch across the country from there East to West and to the Italian border. Anyone who goes to Zurich expecting to see the Alps is in for a big disappointment. Your sister was bored in Zermatt? Granted if she is not a hiker or skier she probably would be bored. I recommend Zermatt for only one day for people not planning on hiking or skiing (as the rest of the Alps too)-to see the Matterhorn. But it is incredibly expensive there.