Le Cinq or L'Astrance

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Cinq or L'Astrance

Spending a week in Paris at the end of May and would like to have a special luncheon with husband and friends. We are in our 60's. Our friends have never been to Paris. One of our friends is a gourmet cook so want some place where food would be wonderful. Am looking at both Le Cinq and L'Astrance. Looking for any thoughts on these two places or should I be looking at somewhere else? Thanks
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM

Gayot survey on Paris restaurants. You can read the reviews of each restaurant using this link.

http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/search-in-paris.php

The ones you have chosen are both good, and probably impossible to get reservations for, particularly for an American.

Here's a list of their top 10 food restaurants.

http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/bes...food_10pa.html

Good luck.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. I was not surprised to hear you say that it would be difficult to get a reservation because it is four months away but didn't know it would be difficult because I am American. Is this something new I am not aware of?
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 06:12 AM

Hi. WE have eaten at Astrance twice and rank it up there as best dining experience. WE called 90 days in advance both times (we are Americans) and got the coveted dining spot! I am not sure if they still offer the dinner accompanied with wine. Service is formal, as you might expect from a 3 star Michelin, but the restaurant is not stuffy. We walked home (had an apt in the 7th) and under the Eiffel Tower. Perfect way to end a perfect meal.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 07:04 AM

You won't have any troubles getting a reservation because you are from the US.

Both restaurants are very good but my experiences have been better at Le Cinq.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 07:05 AM

Not sure what Rastaguy is on about there. Being American will make no difference in you being able to make a reservation.

The only thing that will is if there is a table available when you want it. Being four months out from when you want to go should give you a pretty good chance.

Good luck.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:04 AM

I had no trouble getting a lunch reservation at Le Cinq about one month out and I did it all via email. I thought the food was very good but not exceptional. I have not dined at L'Astrance.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I too booked le cinq by e-mail and had no trouble at all. [I'm a brit but they couldn't have known that til we got there].

if you go on a sunday [and for all i know on other days too] they do a Table d'Hote for about €90. it's supposed to be 3 courses but by the time you've had the amuses-buches, the chef's gift, the starter, the sorbet, the main course, the pud and the chocs and coffee, it's at least 6 and you're stuffed!

We loved the food and the service WAS exceptional.

I've not been to L'Astrance.

if you are able to go on a weekday, there are several top places that do Table-d'Hote menus. we could only go on a Sunday which cut down the choice.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:18 AM

turns out that L'Astrance does prix-fixe menus too, starting at €70 for the 3 course menu dejeurner:

http://gastronomyblog.com/2012/07/31/lastrance-paris/

it gets an excellent review here.

strangely i haven't been able to find a web address - anyone got a link?
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 01:30 PM

I don't believe L'Astrance has a website and from what I understand is more difficult to reserve.

I agree that the service at Le Cinq was exceptional and in that regard a very safe choice. I don't think much can go wrong there and if it did I suspect they'd immediately rectify it. The 3 course lunch is available every day at Le Cinq and I believe they allow substitutions if you don't like the choices on the menu that day.

Here's a blog that includes reviews of Le Cinq, L'Astrance and several other Michelin starred restaurants in Paris http://endoedibles.com/?cat=469
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 02:07 PM

I don't believe L'Astrance has a website and from what I understand is more difficult to reserve.>>

Hi Patty - perhaps they feel they don't need one!

interestingly the prix-fixe lunch at le cinq isn't on their website either. I learnt about it here.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get detailed (if opinionated) info from the foodies that post on chowhound. The site is better on high end dining than a general travel site, I find.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. I have e-mailed Le Cinq for reservations and they have been confirmed. I had no reason for LeCinq over Astrance. All the reviews seemed positive for both. Looking forward to a wonderful lunch with our friends and a celebration of my 27th wedding anniversary.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:25 PM

benitakaren - I hope that you have a lovely time at le cinq.

we had a wonderful lunch but the taste I remember most was the seaweed butter - i wish I could make it at home.