Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which Paris hotel: Hotel Westminster or Hotel du Louvre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of booking a month-long trip to France, and will post the entire itinerary at a later date. For now, I need help with the last part of the journey - Paris. I've narrowed it down to one of these 2 hotels - the rates I'm getting are about the same, both are close to a metro station, they have fairly good reviews on tripadvisor, and according to their websites they <b>seem</b> to have comparable facilities. We'll be staying at this hotel for 1 week. I will appreciate any feedback you can give!

Cyn
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM

I stayed in the Westminster Opera several years ago...Is this the one or are you talking about, or their other one in Paris?

If it is the Opera, it is a nice hotel. Good restaurants. A starred one and the bar dining is a popular place with the locals. Good location.

Joan
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Oh - sorry. Yes gracejoan it's the Westminster Opera - address is 13 Rue de la Paix.

Did you happen to use the fitness center? And do you recall which room type you were in - Opera, Vendome, St Honore or one of their suites? How was the size? And what was the shower like - handheld or wall mount? And do you recall if there was a fee for internet access? Hotel du Louvre does include that in their rate, but I can't tell from the website if there is a fee at Westminster. I'll email them to be sure, but if you recall that's great. Sorry to be peppering you with so many questions - can you tell I'm excited????

Cyn
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM

I don't remember what the room was called. It was decent size. They had many online specials..AAA, AARp and all sorts of things. I recently received an email from them, but did not look at it..they send every so often. I don't remember the shower, but imagine there was a wall mount and perhaps both...better ask. At the time I did not have lap top with me, so do not know if room access and if there was a charge. You better ask. I do remember they had access in a room off lobby, and there was a charge. This was a couple years ago. All could be different, now.

Very nice, friendly and attentive staff.

Joan
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
cw

We stayed at the Hotel du Louvre with a group about seven years ago. We had a wonderful room with a sitting area and small walk out balcony that overlooked the Palais Royal. The breakfast (included in the rate) was wonderful. The location is terrific for walking to the major sights on both the right and left bank.

We have rented apartments since then but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for a few nights.

We didn't use any of the amenities so can't comment on those. I don't think you can go wrong with either location.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Joan and cw for your responses.

cw- did you think the Hotel du Louvre cateres more to groups?

Cyn
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM
cw

Cyn,

I think it does handle some higher end groups. The public areas are not huge so I never saw a lot of people gathered together. Our group didn't have any activities at the hotel--no dinners, for instance. We all just came to breakfast on our own just as if we were not with a group.

It's a great convenient location but does not have a "neighborhood" feel. Being between the Palais Royal and the Louvre makes it easy to walk to the 6th and it's lovely to walk around the garden of the Palais Royal or window shop in the arcade.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice. It was my impression that some of the rooms at Hotel du Louvre were not nearly as nice as ours. Its location and that we had a lovely space and a great breakfast are the main reasons I liked the hotel.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cw. Great breaksfast is a big plus.

Decision is still not quite made, so if anyone else has opinions, I would love to hear them!

Thanks-

Cyn
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM

My wife and I stayed @ Hotel Du Lourve about 4 yrs ago and loved everything about it, especially the location. The room seemed to be bigger than previous trips to Paris with a nice size bathroom, tub-shower combo with a bidet. The restraunt was very nice as was the "American" style breakfast, you have to get there early otherwise they ran short on some of the food.