Which Paris Hotel Henri IV or du Danube?

Jan 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Which Paris Hotel Henri IV or du Danube?

Hi all,

I have a friend traveling with her sister and nieces. They want a quad and these both have availability during their stay. Henri gets super reviews on Trip Advisor (Danube's are good just not as tremendous as Henri). However, the Danube is on rue Jacob in the 6th and Henri IV is in the 5th close to the Pantheon.

I have only stayed in the 6th and loved the location.Would location alone dictate your decision or are both equally well-located?

Any pros/cons to help balance and weigh the choice?

Thanks for your input!

Jan 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Both locations are great. I would also consider the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I tend to stay in the 1st when we go.
I have also not stayed at either hotel, but I have heard both are very nice. We usually get an apartment rental. From my experience, apartments give you more space and a kitchen for about the same price as a hotel.

For apartments, try www.paristay.com

There are plenty of other sites on the web, but this is the only one I can vouch for.
Jan 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM

I prefer the locarion of the Danube, but if the nieces are teens or young women they might prefer to be closer to the (IMO) frenetic activity of the Latin Quarter, in which case the Henri IV would be preferable.
Jan 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input so far.

Also, besides location, is one property nicer than another in terms of quality - recently updated or whatever?

Jan 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM

We haven't been to the Henri IV, but have been to the du Danube several times. Both locations are great but we like Rue Jacob and the du Danube is lovely although some folks may not like patterned wallpapers and chintz. However, there is no air conditioning, so that could be a consideration depending on the time of year. At the du Danube the superior class rooms are much nicer than the standard class and worth the extra price.
Jan 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM

We stayed at the Henri IV Rive Gauche (don't get it confused with the Residence) in May and liked it very much. The location is great -- we were a five minute walk (literally) across the Petite Pont to Notre Dame. We walked everywhere.

Small rooms but clean, reasonalbly sized bathrooms, very friendly service. Ask for Nathalie -- she speaks excellent English and is very helpful.

If you're flying into CDG airport, they have a car service at a good price.
Jan 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM

We had a similar dilemma a number of years ago. Because we were travelling in July, we ended up staying at the Henri IV Rive Gauche because the rooms are air conditioned. Also, we requested a quiet room that faced an interior light-well which afforded us restful sleeps!

We have since stayed on rue Jacob at the Millesime - loved the location!

I'd say that it depends on when your friends are travelling -- and if heat is an issue!

Jan 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - they are traveling in February so no worries on the AC and decided on the Danube for the fabulous location. I have also stayed at the Millesime, but it was more than they wanted to spend.

You all are great.
Jan 17th, 2008, 04:57 PM

I stayed at the Du Danube back in '96. I stayed in a single room, small, overlooking the backyard, then changed to a nice, comfortable double that was facing the Medical School Building. The street was quiet at night, I remember a bar in the corner, a bakery less than a block away, many shops close by on rue des rennes, great cafes and restaurants by St. Germain des Pres church (also a Metro stop). The walk to the Seine was a long block, but one does not go Paris for public transportation.
Jan 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Just came back from paris and stayed at hotel danube . The location is superb . loved the restaurant next door and had breakfast there everyday.
Beware though that at the danube the rooms do not have deadbolt or locks. therefore anyone with a key can enter your room from the outside. prefered their superior rooms to the contemporay ones. The general manager was very helpful and kind as well as Marc the receptionist. The rest of the staff well not worth mentioning.
Jan 26th, 2008, 02:52 AM

We've stayed at the du Danube at least 15 times over the last few years and love the location. It's a hort walk to the Seine or to Blvd. St Germain, both with excellent bus transportaion choices. St Germain metro is also just a short walk. There are several good cafes within a few blocks.

The staff has always been friendly and responsive. Severin, Marc, Estelle and especially Francois have always been most helpful.

I know some of the rooms have been renovated recently and there is a computer you can use in the lobby and they now have WiFi available too.