Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Paris Hotel George V, Crillon, & Le Meurice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-paris-hotel-george-v-crillon-and-le-meurice-885429/)

JoshuaRay Apr 5th, 2011 09:35 PM

Which Paris Hotel George V, Crillon, & Le Meurice

I have my hotel choice narrowed down of one of the these three, Four Seasons, Crillon & Le Meurice. Looking for pro's and con's of each to help decide. Service is important but also looking for one that's the most up to date and remodeled. Not a big fan of the old century look especially if it's tired and wore out. I assume these three have been updated but not sure. Traveling with my wife and will be in Paris 3 nights before going to Reims & Beaune. Thanks in advance for you advice. Also any opinion on best day's of the week to visit champagne houses?

Guenmai Apr 5th, 2011 10:12 PM

If you select the Four Seasons, try the Japanese breakfast which is a real treat. I'm a big Four Seasons fan, although I haven't stayed at George V, but have done breakfast there. I have stayed at other FS in the world. Happy Travels!

oakglen Apr 6th, 2011 06:40 AM

Geo V is Saudi owned and they have poured multi-millions into the hotel in recent years, best service of the three. The Meurice has had many owners and has the best location; this would be my choice.

kerouac Apr 6th, 2011 10:48 AM

I work across the street from the George V, and it is a slight problem for the next 14 months. The Prince de Galles next door (also Saudi owned) has just closed for a total renovation, and we are watching them install a giant steel frame in the street that will house the workers' prefab bungalows. People on the right side of the hotel are going too have an awful view for the next year as well as quite a bit of construction noise.

TorontoSteven Apr 6th, 2011 11:10 AM

Crillon. No question.

gruezi Apr 6th, 2011 12:00 PM

I have very much enjoyed the George V on a few occasions. But, kerouac has given a good warning regarding construction. If you are out all day, you may not care. The restaurant at George V is my top pick for fine dining.

kerouac Apr 6th, 2011 01:07 PM

The Crillon is covered with scaffolding at the moment also.

annhig Apr 6th, 2011 01:10 PM

we had a fantastic lunch at le cinq in January, and the public areas of the building didn't look in the least bit tired. [I'm intrigued by that Japanese breakfast - care to fill us in, Guenmai?] but I wouldn't fancy that scaffolding and building noise, especially not with the cost of the rooms there.

otherwise i can't help you as these places are beyond my budget.

kerouac Apr 6th, 2011 01:36 PM

I will try to post a photo of the situation in a day or two.

denisea Apr 6th, 2011 05:22 PM

George V is very updated and Le Cinq is quite an experience.
Crillon is lovely and feels more elegant. Service is impeccable at both.

I don't really think you would be disappointed at any of the three you mentioned. The Crillon was covered in scaffolding when we were there in December.

JoshuaRay Apr 6th, 2011 06:45 PM

At first I was thinking the Crillon was probably my choice with the FS 2nd. But now I don't know. When was the Le Meurice last updated?

JoshuaRay Apr 6th, 2011 06:56 PM

Is the Ritz something to consider because of the construction at the others?

Guenmai Apr 6th, 2011 11:10 PM

Annhig: The Japanese breakfast has a variety of food items; grilled salmon, rice, miso, Japanese pickles, nori, Japanese cooked greens, Japanese omelette, and I'm sure a few food items that I have forgotten.

Because Four Seasons offers Japanese breakfast, that's one reason I seek out FS hotels. I stayed for years at FS Bangkok where the breakfast selections were great. There was Japanese, Western, and Asian (non-Japanese). As for the price of Japanese breakfast at George V, it's the same price as regular breakfast. Happy Travels!

annhig Apr 7th, 2011 12:22 PM

guenmai - that sounds great. next time in Paris?

kerouac Apr 7th, 2011 12:50 PM

It is fascinating to watch them build the frame for the construction bungalows from my office window. This is going to complete cover the façade of the Prince de Galles and also obstruct the view from the left side of the George V for the next 14-16 months. They even cut down the trees that were in the way. :-<

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...uac2/011-2.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...rouac2/013.jpg

Dazedandconfused Apr 7th, 2011 01:07 PM

We stayed at the Crillon some years ago and had a fabulous view, and a very nice stay. However, a few years ago when the economy began to dip, we found the bargain of our lives at Le Bristol, and loved it too, despite the fact there wasn't a spectacular view. We literally paid half-price what the rooms had been going for prior to the economy running aground.

Kerouac, lovely!

To the OP, wherever you end up, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Aduchamp1 Apr 7th, 2011 05:59 PM

We usually stay at the George Sank, where the beds are not so good.