Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which one of these shows to attend in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-one-of-these-shows-to-attend-in-paris-936685/)

Gina_07 May 27th, 2012 08:45 AM

Which one of these shows to attend in Paris?

Moulin Rouge vs. Crazy Horse Vs. Lido

We know that they are tourist traps but want to go to one, anyway. We are with children ages 15 and 10, so if it is too adult oriented then we can't do it. A little bit is ok. Do we need to prebook tickets in advance or wait until we get to Paris. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Cathinjoetown May 27th, 2012 09:28 AM

My sister used to take customers to the Moulin Rouge and Crazy Horse. She said the productions were very high standard, women beautiful, most topless. She preferred the Crazy Horse.

You are looking at parting with the better part of 400-500€, but no more than a Broadway show. I've heard the food is average at best but there are show-only packages. Shows start as early as 7:00 pm. I had a quick look at the websites, all well-done and all the info you need. At least one offered children's discounts, probably all do but I wasn't looking that carefully.

Bedar May 27th, 2012 09:53 AM

The Crazy Horse is fabulous, if very expensive. It might not be totally appropriate for kids. Then again, in today's world they may have seen much more shocking stuff on TV ! Another thing to consider is whether they allow kids that age in.
Myself, I wouldn't bother with the other two. Go for the Crazy Horse.

kerouac May 27th, 2012 10:04 AM

The Crazy Horse is the least likely to be of interest to children. The Lido and the Moulin Rouge have more 'consensual' variety acts in addition to the desired nudity, and are also much larger theatres. As I child I was taken to the Folies Bergère at age 11, so I know that the big places have no problem with it.

Gina_07 May 27th, 2012 10:14 AM

We will skip dinner and do show only. I expect that depending on what kind of ticket you have you will seat in a certain part of the theater. Are the no-dinner seats good enough seats to see the show?

I checked the Crazy Horse website and they have Gold and Diamond options with similar prices. What is the difference?

Cathinjoetown May 27th, 2012 10:29 AM

Can't help you with that level of detail. I would email them.

xyz123 May 27th, 2012 10:38 AM

They're all touristy; I wouldn't use the word rip offs and there are some nice acts in the shows. Food is mediocre, certainly not what you would go to Paris for.

Myself, I liked the Paradis Latin show...do a search on Paradis de latin discount tickets...there is a firm that does sell tickets for shows after 15 June on a reduced basis (remember to pay for it in Euro as the euro has dropped quite a bit and right now is hovering around $1.25; it might even go lower but for now, this is a good rate.

I saw it, accepted the fact it was for tourists but we had a good time and while, as I said, the food is not gourmet, it certainly was acceptable.