Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which of three areas of London for a 3-night stay?--

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I 've read on this and other forums, I've narrowed my choices for my March visit as follows: Victoria/Pimlico at the Blades Hotel or the New England Hotel; central, where the action is, at Thistle Charing Cross or Trafalgar; or a room with a view at the Marriott County Hall or Thistle Royal Horseguards (which I haven't yet checked out). I suspect that none would be a mistake, but I still welcome input and suggestions. This is a great forum!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 12:43 PM

Personally, I'd choose the Marriott County Hall. It's a convenient location and allows you to walk over to Westminster Abbey for an evensong concert; plus, there are some good restaurants in the area. You're close to tube stations there as well. My second choice would be near Trafalgar or Charing Cross (this would be the number one choice if you want to do a lot of nightlife or theater). I'd avoid the Victoria area, but that's just my personal preference. I just find that a terribly crowded area. I don't know the specific hotels, though, except for the Marriott County Hall (which I like) so others might be able to give you some more specific advice there.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Thistle Royal Horseguards, and also the Charing Cross I think,get pretty much great reviews.
Look here, and also at
tripadvisor.com
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 01:29 PM

The only hotel that I have stayed at on your list is the Royal Horseguards, and I highly recommend it. It is in a great location overlooking the Thames, right by Embankment tube station,and walking distance to Trafalgar Square (Actually, I walked to almost everywhere from the hotel). The hotel itself is classy and very well furnished, and the staff was very professional and accommodating.

I haven't stayed at County Hall, but it has gotten great reviews on every site I have seen, including this one.

The Victoria/Pimlico area would be my third choice.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for helping me rule out Pimlico/Victoria.

I am tempted to try Priceline for 4* hotels in the Westminster and Soho areas. But if I were to stay at the Marriott County Hall or Thistle Royal Horesguards, I'd want the best view. Meanwhile, I'll keep my eye on Thistle's website and on laterooms.