Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which of these Venice Hotels? Goldini, Barbarigo, Centauro (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-of-these-venice-hotels-goldini-barbarigo-centauro-553760/)

Falltrippers Aug 23rd, 2005 10:53 AM

Which of these Venice Hotels? Goldini, Barbarigo, Centauro

I have read some reviews but am confused.
Have asked all for canal views which Centauro and Barbarigo seem to have but Goldini has a nice terrace it seems on roof which may be nice.
About 35 Euro more for Centauro over Barbarigo - not sure if worth it.
We were considering staying one night in a 100 Euro place further out and one night in San Marco or Dorsoduro area. I have gone through so many options - I am down to these three! Many other great ones are sold out.
comments anyone?

julia_t Aug 23rd, 2005 11:30 AM

This is going off-subject a bit, hope you don't mind, but it also brings your post back up to the top!

Two/three years ago I had dealings with the Centauro (and have been in touch with them since about returning), because the family who own it also have a B&B in Palazzo Duodo, not far away, nearer Piazza San Marco, just off Calle dei Fabbri. All the admin, emails etc are dealt with by staff at the Centauro. We had to go to the hotel to collect keys, pay, etc. At all times they were most helpful and co-operative, stored our luggage on our last day, and the hotel seemed very pleasant although I did not see any rooms.

I was most impressed with the Palazzo Duodo (canal and campanile views from all rooms, even the bathroom!), and if you are only staying at a hotel to sleep and eat breakfast, you could do a lot worse than this particular B&B, for less euros.

Anyway, I just wanted to say the Centauro is run by nice people, and if the standards there are as good as the Palazzo Duodo, it will be good.

Have a great trip to Venice!

Therese Aug 23rd, 2005 12:28 PM

We stayed at the Barbarigo a couple of years ago and liked it (very clean, nice staff, large room, great beds and bathrooms, very central but quiet location on a dead end fondamenta). But the "canal view" there requires that you be right at the window and looking down out of it. Otherwise you're looking across the narrow canal at the facing building.

Unless you really like to schlep your luggage around I wouldn't switch rooms in Venice.

Falltrippers Aug 23rd, 2005 11:29 PM

Thanks for the input!
Anyone stay at the Residenza Goldoni - spelled it wrong last time!

travelchef Mar 21st, 2007 02:34 PM

The Staff were great and guided me to non-tourist type restaurants and always made sure I was happy.
Breakfast served in the room is a great way to wake up (although instant dressing sometime required to answer door)The balcony show in advertising is only off one or two rooms, so it's breakfast in bed for most rooms.
I have already sent two friends to stay there since I was there.
It is 70 metres from the Rialto bridge/stop. It is one of the prime positions to stay. The 'adventure' of staying on an outer island for a small saving is false ecconomy.
Many thanks to the staff who greeted me and looked after me like a long lost cousin!