Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which of these Venice hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-of-these-venice-hotels-183397/)

Rae Aug 30th, 2001 03:09 PM

Which of these Venice hotels?

Hi, <BR> <BR>I have narrowed it down to the following hotels for next July- La Calcina for $158.00 per night, Pension Accademia for approx. $175.00 per night (not superior room), Locanda Sturion, and Hotel Flora (haven't gotten 2002 rates yet). Seems like all rates have gone up since reading your posts. We like the idea of staying away from the crowds and would like any additonal input to help with final choice. <BR>P.S. We like a friendly staff-not snooty <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Rae

june Aug 30th, 2001 03:34 PM

We stayed at La Calcina two years ago in August and very much liked it. We will stay there again. The location was quiet, overlooking a very wide canal. Breakfast is taken either on a floating terrace on the canal or inside. The breakfast was good with excellent service. The saw the Accademia and that too is in a good location with a nice garden. We were about five minutes walk from the Accademia Bridge, very convenient for St Marks square. A big plus was the vaperetto stopped almost outside our hotel (zattere ai Gesuati) from the airport and train station. This was really convenient with luggage. I have no information on the other two places. Another good point about La Calcina - The floating patio is open for drinks during the day if you want to go back to the hotel and relax on the canal. Plus, they have a very small roof terrace with views across the canal.

Diane Aug 30th, 2001 04:15 PM

The Pensione Accademia was just what we were looking for in Venice -- it has charm, and is in a convenient yet quiet location. Our room was small but comfortable, modern bathroom, and wonderful buffet breakfast.

Joanne Aug 30th, 2001 04:34 PM

I tried to book Pensione Accademia for May 2002 and they were booked. So if that's where you wish to stay I would suggest you contact them post haste. <BR> <BR>For years I had wanted to stay there (the Summertime movie, etc.) and e-mailed them in June to inquire. They e-mailed back they were not taking reservations for 2002 and to contact them again at the end of August. I contacted them mid August and they were booked. Sort of ticked due to the circumstances; perhaps my anger is counteracting my disappointment. <BR> <BR>Made other arrangements and I know we will enjoy ourselves immensely--we always do in Italy no matter where we stay. <BR> <BR>j

Rae Aug 31st, 2001 03:13 AM

Thanks for the input. The Accademia was pretty rude when my sister called for me (she speaks Italian fluently). However, La Calcina has sent me emails responses and I think I will book there, unless anyone advises differently. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Rae

elaine Aug 31st, 2001 05:56 AM

I LOVE the Flora. <BR>My room wasn't very big, and my bathroom was teeny, but honestly I consider this to be one of my "perfect" hotel experiences. Location couldn't be more convenient, 5 minutes to San Marco, yet on its own little alley, so nice and quiet. Very pretty courtyard for breakfast or relaxing in nice weather, otherwise, inside dining room. Very pleasant staff. Elevator. They'll do same-day laundry for you, for a very reasonable price. Sigh... <BR>

Rae Aug 31st, 2001 10:01 AM

Elaine, <BR> <BR>Is it better to stay away from San Marco during the summer? That's why I am questioning the Flora? <BR>Thanks, <BR>Rae

Book Chick Aug 31st, 2001 10:25 AM

I always recommend Locanda Sturion. I love the location near the Rialto. The views are gorgeous, the staff friendly & kind & I find the price reasonable. Even "the drawback", the lack of elevator, is fine, as that marble staircase is indeed a work of art. <BR>Buon Viaggio, <BR>BC

elaine Aug 31st, 2001 11:26 AM

Rae <BR>I haven't been in Venice in July, only in the early fall. It's not exactly empty in the fall, but I suppose less crowded than the notorious summer. <BR>As I mentioned the Flora is on its own little alley, so noise was not a problem at all. Once you walk up the alley, you are on a main shopping street which is quite busy. I can only speak from my own experience, which is that <BR>I felt extraordinarily conveniently located, yet I had a tranquil place to retreat to.

Tony Aug 31st, 2001 12:24 PM

We also have had a very pleasant experience booking with the La Calcina. <BR>Let us know how you enjoyed it and what room you had and if you liked it. <BR>Thanks <BR>Tony

mary Aug 31st, 2001 01:13 PM

We loved the Flora-- it is very quiet-- our room overlooked the garden-- we could hear only the church bells ring! The staff was probably the nicest I have ever encountered anywhere in our travels-- so friendly, full of information, sent us to great, non-touristy restaurants! the location was close but down the little alley that made it seem far from everything! <BR>Ciao! <BR>Mary

Jane Aug 31st, 2001 02:03 PM

We just got back from Venice - stayed at La Calcina during the first week of July. It is excellent - good location, large comfortable room, airconditioning works very well, if needed, good bathroom with tub and shower, friendly staff. And we really, really appreciated getting away from the crowds near San Marco. Yes, crowding is bad, in my opinion. But the Dorsoduro is very quiet and just a 10 - 15 minute walk from San Marco Square. On the way to there, on the other side of the Accademia Bridge, make sure you stop at the Paolin Gellateria. The best gelato in town, I think. Have a great time. <BR>

caryl Aug 31st, 2001 08:55 PM

TRY THE HOTEL ALA,SMALL 5 MINUTES FROM SAM MARCO,GREAT ROOMS TRY FOR THE ANTONIA SUITE OR ONE OF THE # 400 ROOMS FACING THE CANAL WITH A TERRACE. STAFF GREAT,SO IS LOCATION <BR>

Rae Sep 1st, 2001 03:04 AM

Thanks to all of you. contacing the hotels now. Will let you know. <BR> <BR>Rae

Andy Sep 1st, 2001 10:23 AM

Rae- We stayed at both the FLora and the Ala--we hated the Ala because the rooms were ver simple-brown furniture,white chenille spreads-no decor-only conveniece was the vaporetto could drop you off from the train station-- <BR> <BR>However,the FLora was another matter-IT WAS TERRIFIC! 5 min.from St.Marks-excellent location-beauriful-but small rooms filled with beautiful Venetian painted furniture and Murano crystal chandelier--very very tiny bath with corner shower,bidet and toilet-- <BR>GOrgeous breakfast room --WE LOVED it and would definitely go back to stay there!! They used to be part of the Ciga Hotel Group but I don't know who owns it now--but you will LOVE it!~

Anita Sep 1st, 2001 12:09 PM

We must be the only people who disliked the Hotel Flora. Our room was only slightly larger than the bed. We heard every (and I mean every) noise from the adjoining room and from people in the hallways. I am quite accustomed to small European bathrooms, but our bathroom here was too small to describe. When we took a shower, the water (which was supposed to go down the drain in the middle of the floor) puddled across the threshold and into the room. All this for more than $200 a night in October 1999. The staff was courteous and the location perfect, but I would never stay here again and have discouraged others.

Celeste Sep 1st, 2001 06:30 PM

My daughter and I stayed at Locanda Sturion for three nights in May - Grand Canal front room - for $179 or so per night. When I made reservations, there were no canal-front rooms available (there are only two rooms on the canal), and I reserved a non-canal-front room for 340,000 lire per night. <BR> <BR>When I arrived, they said they'd had a cancellation and offered their triple canal front room for 50,000 lire per night more, we took it, and boy, was I spoiled. The large room was lovely and the view (never-ending entertainment) just incredible. The people who work there are wonderful as well. And climbing those 69 stairs helps you work off all the gelato you eat!

robin-k Sep 24th, 2001 07:55 AM

\ <BR>up for karen -- here's some discussion on La Calcina versus Accademia.

Hope Sep 25th, 2001 12:06 AM

Any comments on the Hotel Astoria in Venice?

Mike Miller Sep 25th, 2001 02:36 AM

We stayed in the canal fronttriple at the Locanda Sturion a couple of years ago and it was a memorable experience. You look out the window to your left and gaze with wonder at the Rialto bridge. Well worth the cost and there is a great restaurant close by called "Madonna".