Apr 14th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Katie

Which of these Rome Hotels???

We have narrowed our search to the following hotels:

Santa Chiara
Pantheon (not Sole al Pantheon)
Nazionale a Monticetorio
Colonna Palace

We are looking for a nice comfortable updated room with some charm and style (not cookie-cutter hotel or TOO basic), good location for walking, quiet room, and friendly hotel, room not too small and modern bath. I would LOVE some type of terrace or roof garden or views - I think only the Colonna has that.

Can anyone comment on any of these? I have read much about Santa Chiara, not much about the others.

Apr 20th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Len

Yeah, not too many people seem to comment on The Pantheon Hotel, as I have asked for comments several times. www.venere.com has it as a four star and the peole there were so nice and helpful that I have booked four nights thee in May. I bet it will be great! I will let you know when I return.

Apr 20th, 2001, 11:53 AM
nancy

Len,
Haven't heard from you in a while
Trip all planned?
Have a great time, hope your mom loves this!

Apr 20th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Karen

I just booked the Colonna Palace for August through American Express. I had heard good comments here and have a friend who stayed there last year and loved it and is going back this year. I seems like I spend days comparing and just finally have to choose. Three years ago we stayed atop the Spanish Steps at Spagna di Scalinta but I wanted a different location now.
Good Luck
Karen

Apr 21st, 2001, 04:40 PM
Len

Hi Nancy. Yep the trip is all planned and is as follow:

3 nights in Rome, in which we will stay at The Hotel Pantheon. I hired a private tour guide to take to the Vatican on the Staurday afetr we arive.

2 nights in Cassino at the 3 star Hotel La Pace. We will visit her town of Sant' Ambroggio from there (Only 20 minutes away)

3 night at the Hotel Poseidon in Positano (stopping in Pompeii on way to Positano) Also hired a private boat trip to Capri)

then train from Salerno back to Rome to spend final night at Panthon again befor e we come back.

I'm so psyched. We leave a week from Thursday.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:34 PM
lisa

Len -- Please post a trip report when you get back. If you enjoy your tour of the Vatican I would appreciate details (name, contact info, price), as will be going in late Aug.-early Sept. and would like to find a well-recommended private or very small tour of the Vatican.

Apr 24th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Len

Lisa I definitely will post an update on my trip with details about our tour guide.

Apr 30th, 2001, 05:46 PM
claudia

Does anyone have web addresses for any of these hotels in Rome? It would be wonderful to know how to contact them.
thanks

Apr 30th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Len

Go to www.venere.com they have links to each hotel website.

May 1st, 2001, 03:26 AM
Mikki

Len, How did you book the private guide to Vatican and private Capri trip ahead of time. I am taking a very similar trip in June and would like to book these in advance also. Thanks and have a wonderful trip!

May 1st, 2001, 09:23 AM
Len

Well, both the tour guide and the private boat trip to Capri recomenndations came from a buddy of mine who just spent a two week honeymoon in Italy. The tour guide he used and reommended was through Sacca Tours, and they quoted us $270 for 3 hour personal guide. My friend recomended Christiana. Said she was fantastic! Of course I can't find the number right now, but I will find it and post it for you. They also have a website. As far as the trip to Capri, I was introduced to two brothers via the phone, Slavatore and Gennaroare their names, and they have two boats and do tours to Capri, which include and amazing 5 star meal at a little restaurant on a dock near Amalfi. Sam assured me the trip is amazing! Gennaro's fax number is 089 875 475. It is a full day affair and it is costing me $600 US for 4 people which includes the trip to Capri and the wonderful meal. Good Luck.

May 2nd, 2001, 04:57 AM
mikki

Len, Thanks for the info. Have great trip and please report back on your experiences.