Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Which of these Apartments in 1st or 6th Arrondissements - Any Advice Welcome!

Which of these Apartments in 1st or 6th Arrondissements - Any Advice Welcome!

Sep 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Which of these Apartments in 1st or 6th Arrondissements - Any Advice Welcome!

Hello,

We are a family of four, two adults and two girls ages 19 and 16 travelling to Paris for the first time at the end of May 2009. We would really like to stay in an apartment while we are there.
On the advice of my daughter's college French professor who is from Paris, we are looking in the 1st, 5th and 6th Arrondissements. We really would like a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment which narrows down our search quite a bit, but I have come up with at least 3 that seem nice and fit our taste and needs.

I am trying to be very careful with our selection as we stayed in apartments in Italy 3 years ago and had a couple of pretty bad experiences with the location, owners etc. I want to really cover all bases this time before making our final decision.

Below are the links to three apartments we are considering for our trip.
Has anyone stayed in any of these or can you give any input as to the area they are located etc?

We will be visiting Paris for the first time and doing all of the usual tourist things...Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Palace of Versailles. I have not gotten to much of those details yet as apartment hunting is first. My girls love to shop and we would like to be in a neighborhood with restaurants, shops and some activity, but not a loud and super busy area.

I am hoping that someone has stayed in one of these apartments or had experiences with these rental agencies and can give some insight.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

#1 - From Parisianflat.com at 37 Rue de Vaugirard -http://www.parisianflat.com/rent-a-parisian-flat-15-rue-de-vaugirard-saint-germain-des-pres.html

#2 - From Parisperfect.com at 31 Rue de Seine in the 6th - http://www.parisperfect.com/chassagn...nt-rental.html

#3 - From Homeaway.com on the Rue de Petit Champs in the 1st Arrondissement.
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p143450

I should mention that we are open to other areas of Paris as well. I am not fixed on these.

Thank you so much in advance.

Beth

Sep 29th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Have rented many times is Paris, but have not dealt with these companies. There are so many companies and apartments to choose from, it is difficult. The 3 apts. you have chosen are all beautiful, and I have seen these agencies mentioned often.

IMO it is best to be as close to the Seine as piossible to be able to walk, take the boats, Metro etc. Especially on your first trip.

We love the Lux. garden area, but that apt. on the far side would mean alot of walking.

The location of the Seine apt. in the 6th looks better. The one in the 1st looks gorgeous also, but those streets are so wide and the blocks so long, again walk, walk, walk.

Again, this is just my opinion. There are many areas of Paris to love, and if you stay in the tourist areas, it will be fine.

We just got back, rented Hibiscus apt. through www.guestapartment.com this time. We liked being on St. Louis en I'lle--very convenient.

What we liked about this service was that they had an office right on St. Louis en I'lle that acted as a concierge. They could make dinner reservations, day trips, car pick ups, etc. All the conveniences of a hotel, but you have a gorgeous apt. instead.

Wherever you stay,I think you will love Paris. This was our 6th trip, and there are so many other Fodorites that have been there multiple times.

Keep asking your questions. This is the best site to get help. Every trip the Fodorites help us in some way.

As far as shopping, we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies getting on the plane going home with so many bags.Your girls will love all the small botiques.
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM

bethyk, we have twice stayed in the apartment on rue des Petits Champs. You can read our review of it here; just scroll down to the post of 3/22/07 at 4:36 pm:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34968247

If you search this Europe forum for "rue des Petits Champs" you will probably find other posts I have made about the immediate area.

I should point out that the apartments at homeaway.com are not all owner by the same people, despite the similarity of all the listings. The apartment on rue des Petits Champs is owned by a couple of journalists (she is, I think, Canadian and he is, I think, American). I have dealt several times with Sheila, and I can vouch for her reliability, thoroughness, integrity, and kindness. (They have recently purchased and are renovating a second apartment on rue des Archives in the 4th. We have just completed the paperwork to rent it for 9 days in November.)

The apartment on rue des Petits Champs well decorated and thoughtfully furnished. It is well suited for a family such as yours, having an ensuite bathroom with shower in the master bedroom and a second bathroom with a bathtub (and a clothes washer and dryer) just across from the door of the second bedroom. As I mentioned in the trip report, above, the separate study can be closed off to make a third sleeping area.

The two main bedrooms overlook a very quiet courtyard. The study (the third sleeping area, unless your two kids choose to share a bed) overlooks the street. I thought it might be a bit noisier, but the apartment is on the 5th floor, so you are well insulated from street noise. Besides, rue des Petits Champs is fairly quiet from late evening to early morning.

If you have any other questions about the apartment, the owners, or the area, just ask.

Anselm
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention: their representative in Paris, a man named Roland, was wonderful. He speaks English, too, if that is a concern for you.

AA
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM

I've stayed in the PArisPerfect Apt, and absolutely loved it. It is newly remodelled (1 year), it is in a great neighborhood for 1st visitors, and is near everything. I could have stayed there a year easily. It is really a bedroom and den. The den is basically an area off the hallway with curtains, and the couch in the living room turns into a very comfortable bed. We didn't use it, but out of curiosity tried it.
The only drawback, is for the elderly, which you are probably not, since the stairs are a bit with luggage or 5 shopping bags, but doable. I probably shouldn't sing its praises, as it will make it harder for me to rent next time.

The neighborhood is PACKED with excellent restaurants, Blvd St Germaine and the surrounding area are well known for shopping of all price ranges, and there are alot of sites within walking bike distance: Orsay, Louvre, Seine, etc.
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM

In addition to the feedback you've received, there's a thread going called "Paris Apartment Thread" that you might also find helpful. I just got back from staying in a 2 BR, 2 BA apt on the banks of the Seine overlooking Ile St Louis and with a view of Notre Dame, that we rented through Chez Vous. I posted about it in that thread.
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Oh my, how to choose! All are absolutely gorgeous. For location, I would choose the one on Rue de Seine. I've stayed near Rue de vaurigard before, and it's a hike to most of the places you'll want to visit. But I also love the balconies on the 1st arr. apt.

These are SO far out of my price range that I didn't even dare dream places like this existed for vacationers to rent. You're one lucky person!!!
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM

I stay in the Paris Perfect apartments all the time. I am presently in one and have been asked to move into a just completed new one on Wed. to enjoy it. I am here for a month. I have stayed in them before and also have them reserved for months stays in spring and fall of next year.

I'm sure you have seen Stu Dudley's post on Fodor's. They are in a PP now..the Champagne...and hardly one to go out!!

Truly, the amenities and service just could not be better, in any way

You definitely could not go wrong with a www.parisfect.com stay,

Enjoy....Joan
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM

That should have been...hardly want to go out!!
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM

I would definitely take the apartment on rue de Seine. That's the first street I stayed on, in the 6th, back in 1981 after having stayed in a lot of different areas of the city for 4 years prior to that. Well, as of 1981, I haven't left that area and I go to Paris almost annually and I stayed on the same street for 9 years straight of trips.

It's a great area and you can easily walk to the 5th...all the narrow streets like rue Huchette and surrounding streets and Notre Dame and also to the 7th. There's great shopping in the 6th and 7th. Don't forget to check out Bon Marche department store in the 7th along with all the little streets like St. Peres and rue Cherche Midi and rue du Four in the 6th and surrounding streets. Happy Travels!

I checked out that same apartment that you're talking about, but I don't need two bedrooms. I'm just one person. Parisperfect.com also has some nice apartments in the 6th. I've put some on my list. Happy Travels!
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM

You can pull up my apartment thread, "Guenmai's Paris Apartment Rental Experience". I've listed the apartment that I had along with general info on basic things regarding the neighborhood and the location of the grocery store, laundromat, info on shuttle service, etc. Happy Travels!
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:16 AM

bethyk

We just stayed in this apartment with my in laws:

http://www.vrbo.com/90955

It is in the 6th and was extremely quiet but very close to everything.

Sep 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM

I'd also chose the rue de Seine apt. Lots of cafes, shops, bistros and services near-by. It truly is walking distance from the Louvre, Notre Dame area, D'orsay and even the Rodin. Excellent transportation options too.
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Check to see which block the rue de Seine apartment is in...if it's north or south of Blvd. St. Germain. I've stayed in both areas. When I was staying in hotels, my old hotels were north of it, right at rue Buci....in the heart of things. My most recent hotel was one block south of it on a cross street.

I have walked many times from my hotel, north of the Boulevard, to the Louvre. All you have to do is walk straight out rue de Seine to the end, cross the street to the river side, turn left and walk out the sidewalk to the side street to the Louvre and then turn right. That apartment location is very good.

I've also walked to Notre Dame from the 6th many times and 2 or 3 years ago even with my then 77(?) year old mother.

If you end up in the rue de Seine apartment and need directions and bus numbers to places, you can always page me over in the Asia forum where I'm a regular. I'm over there more than I'm on the European forum so I might miss your post over here.

Plus, you're not leaving until May 2009. I'll be back at my serviced apartment in Bangkok Dec/Jan and may not check the forum then and I'll also be in Paris/Venice in April. So, keep my screen name in case you have more questions and I'd be glad to assist.

And, if Grand Appetit vegetarian restaurant is still open, I can give you exact bus directions, from Blvd. St.Germain. It's a nice bus ride. Plus it's near Bastille and a short walk to Place Vosges and the whole Marais area. Then there's a bus that goes back to the 6th from there. It's always nice to take buses. I use the public bus for my sightseeing. Smiles. I'll try to google Grand Appetit or find my info on it in the pile of my Paris stuff Happy Travels!
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone so much for all of the input.

Guenmai, the parisperfect apartment is located on the Rue de Seine between Rue de Beaux-Arts and Rue Visconti. It looks close to the river from the map.

If anyone can give me more details or information on this neighborhood, it would be greatly appreciated.

Beth
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

That location is just fine. The heart of the area is at rue de Seine and rue Buci, not far from where the apartment is located. Plus, you can easily walk over to the right bank.

The supermarket is on the corner of rue de Seine and rue Buci and that's also where the street market is for fruit,vegetables, flowers, etc. It's right in front of the supermarket.

Also, on rue Buci there are many food shops...bakery, deli, cafe, etc. And the laundromat is on rue de Seine between rue Jacob and rue Buci. I've walked the whole length of rue de Seine many times. It's an easy walk and nice street and over many decades and I'd go for it.

Plus, you'll be an easy walk to Guenmai restaurant so you won't have to do transportation to get there.

Also, Parisattitude.com has several apartments in that area of the 6th. Have you looked into that agency,too. I looked at many agencies before I made a choice. I went through the parisattitude.com list last weekend (out of curiosity) and was quite impressed with the locations. I might also try them in the future although I had a great experience with vacationinparis.com. Happy Travels!
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Beth,

I think your girls will really like the ParisPerfect apartment because of the location. It is very lively with a lot of shops, bakery, cafes and great shopping. Paul's Bakery is nearby, I thought their creme brulee was wonderful.

We stayed in a ParisPerfect last May and had a great time. ALL of their apartments are so nicely decorated, you might not want to leave.

Have a great time!
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Correction to my 09/29/2008 at 11:09PM post. It should have read, "parisattitude.com also has some nice apartments in the 6th." Instead I accidentally typed "parisperfect".

I've been searching various companies, for a few years, for apartments in the 6th which aren't always easy to come by. Happy Travels!
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:59 AM

True...Paul's is quite good and right on the corner of rue de Seine and rue Buci...attached to the supermarket building. Happy Travels!
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Intex,

I am pleased to hear from someone who has stayed in the parisperfect apartment.
I am not sure what you meant by the curtain in the "den".

From what I see, there are two bedrooms with actual walls, not curtains. Is that the case?

I really like this apartment and the location, so I am anxious to hear any feedback from you since you have stayed there.

Beth

Search this Thread