Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Longchamp Bag? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-longchamp-bag-834801/)

kagoo Apr 8th, 2010 11:22 AM

Which Longchamp Bag?

This will be my first Longchamp. I'll use it as a handbag -- but a roomy handbag, for toting around wallet, glasses, sunglasses, guidebook, arrondissement map, small notebook, tiny camera (now you know where I'm heading!) I want long handles, but am torn between the medium and large size bags. Don't want to get the large if the medium will suffice. You Longchamp lovers out there --- any advice?

Oh -- and am I complete idiot to buy it in the States? I can't imagine they would be THAT much cheaper in Paris -- but if they are, it might be worth waiting.

Thank you!!

tedgale Apr 8th, 2010 11:26 AM

Lounge topic????

cigalechanta Apr 8th, 2010 11:28 AM

Mime is 9x11 crossover.

cigalechanta Apr 8th, 2010 11:35 AM

Tedgale, I think she wants to know if she waits, will it be less expensive in Paris.

laurie_ann Apr 8th, 2010 11:37 AM

Since it is light fabric, the large wouldn't be any heavier than the medium to carry and the bag takes its shape based on what's in it so the large isn't much bigger to carry either. For price comparison, Nordstroms has the long handle medium for $125 and the www.longchamps.fr website has the same for 62 Euro.

ThinGorjus Apr 8th, 2010 12:23 PM

Uggg! I really hate those nylon Longchamp totes. They are everywhere.

I was in Barney's on Madison Ave. yesterday (went to the Biennial at the Whitney) and saw this bag:

http://tinyurl.com/ylyktlq

GORJUS!!!!!!!!!

So much nicer than Longchamp. More expensive, yes, but this bag will turn heads.

Thin

cigalechanta Apr 8th, 2010 12:33 PM

oops, mine is not a Longchamp but a Prada. It's wonerful because I can wash it and not worry about getting caught in the rain. I have a small size for when out dancing or dining.
Thin, the totes you are thinking of is called Piage by Longchamp.
I prefer the PSI than the one you linked.

ThinGorjus Apr 8th, 2010 12:44 PM

Well, Mimi, I like the PS1 bags, too.

And I love the Givenchy Nightengale with the metal stars.

So many women on Madison with their Goyard St. Louis totes.

I also saw a few women with the blue leather Speedy from Louis Vuitton. Very elegant.

The Countess de Billy was in Manhattan to visit her sister-in-law so we went to the Biennial then to lunch at Cafe d'Alsace on Second Ave/85th. We had a very good time.

We then went to Takashimaya, but no Farmacia Santa Maria Novella was on sale yet. The head of the perfume dept. told me that there would be a sale at the beginning of May, but doubted the SMN line would go on sale. Oh, well.

Your friend,
John

kagoo Apr 8th, 2010 03:12 PM

Thanks so much to those who gave practical advice. As for the unsolicited editorial comment on the ugliness of the Longchamps -- well, kinda rude. Surprising. And I can't afford a $1,300 handbag. For me, the Longchamp would be a splurge.

JustineA Apr 8th, 2010 03:28 PM

It's more fun to buy a French bag in France; more colors, more styles to choose from, lovely shops in Paris or in Aix. Wait until you are there. Each season they come out with new designs-----
But that's just me.

JustineA Apr 8th, 2010 03:32 PM

oh, I see you are talking about the ones that fold up. sorry. I have a very large one that I bought many years ago that I use for weekend getaways. Not a handbag. If you don't want to go for all leather they do a heavy nylon hobo with leather features, handle, etc. I would choose that over the travel nylon bag and the price point is not bad at all. You will probably find those at the Galleries Lafayette all over France.

CarolA Apr 8th, 2010 03:33 PM

LOL! Thin thinks that the "head turning " is the goal. (There may be reasons heads are turning besides the "glamor" factor she thinks she is sending off)

I have the Longchamp being discussed. I love it because I can carry tons of stuff in it!

Thin... quit name dropping. The only person you are impressing is yourself (and perhaps your active imagination?) :)

CarolA Apr 8th, 2010 03:34 PM

Hit send too soon.

Please remember Thin lives to provide "unsolicited" advice that she believes makes him/her look special. Just consider it part of the entertainment at Fodors.

Weekender Apr 8th, 2010 03:49 PM

Carol and Justine:

FYI: Thin is a man...

JustineA Apr 8th, 2010 03:55 PM

yes, I know; John is usually a man's name. I think that he's fabulous and made no comment to him or about him. I was just trying to help out a fellow shopper.

suze Apr 8th, 2010 03:59 PM

Sorry don't know a thing about the brand, but if you wait until you get to Paris, what are you going to use for the first part of your trip? Then you'd have 2 handbags with you??

Lynnaustin Apr 8th, 2010 04:36 PM

kaggo- I am a huge fan of these bags and have used them for years. Get the larger size. These have gotten very popular with college girls who can tote books and such in them. The nice part is that the handles are stitched so well that they never pull away with the weight of heavy stuff. If you use the large you can also tuck in a travel umbrella and anything you purchase. The only thing I don't like about them is that there are no zip interior compartments.I take one of my smaller ones for a purse and actually carry it (with wallet,keys,etc.) inside the larger one. Then I can put maps,guidebooks and so on in the larger one also.

They are not cheaper in France. I check everytime I am there.
Nordstrom is a good place to purchase. You will love it.

ThinGorjus Apr 8th, 2010 05:12 PM

Mimi, check out www.jerome-dreyfuss.com. His shop is on the Rue Jabob in Paris. He is married to Isabel Marant.

I read in the New York Times that he is opening a shop in Manhattan.

Thin

ThinGorjus Apr 8th, 2010 05:55 PM

http://tinyurl.com/yez4fhz

Thin

dutyfree Apr 8th, 2010 07:03 PM

The larger size with the longer handles goes for about 69 euros-just bought another one last week over in Paris.They are still way cheaper in Europe than they are in the US.I love them because you can take several with you on a trip if you want different purses and they don't take up alot of space.

Lynnaustin-you must be my long lost twin sister as it is a real joke in my family how I do a "stacking doll" thing with my different size Longchamps within each other.It works for me!