Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which London Hotel: Renaissance Chancery Court or Millennium Gloucester/Bailey's?

Which London Hotel: Renaissance Chancery Court or Millennium Gloucester/Bailey's?

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm having a tough time narrowing down a hotel for my family's London trip this summer, and need your help.

All 3 places have wonderful reviews, with the Renaissance having the best review of the 3. The prices I've seen for the dates I need are within 8 GBPs of each other, thus price is not an issue here. For the curious, the Millennium Bailey's was the cheapest (club level), the Millennium Gloucester in the middle (club level), and the Renaissance being the most expensive (deluxe room, which is the standard room). The Millenniums are next door to each other, and right across the street from the Gloucester tube station. The Renaissance is about 1/2 block from the Holborn tube station.

Has anyone stayed at any of these places recently? Which would you choose? Which would you consider more central to historical sites, etc.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:24 PM

I have stayed at Bailey's three times, Millennium Gloucester once but not the Renaisance. I like the first two hotels because they are handy to Heathrow by the Underground which is a factor on the short visits to London that I tend to make while on the way to or from elsewhere. The Gloucester Rd. Underground station is served by three lines making it easy to get to many places. The Renaissance is more centrally located. You would be able to walk to more of the big name sites from there.

Bailey's is old and has character while the Gloucester is relatively new and has a more corporate feel.

I don't think you can't go too far wrong.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:04 PM

I stayed at the Renaissance last year and loved it. We had a large room with two queen-size beds, marble bathroom with tub and separate shower stall, terrycloth robes, and it was oh so quiet.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:07 PM

You've obviously read the reviews on Trip Advisor. The Holborn Tube is literally around the corner from the Renaissance; I had to laugh when one of the TA reviews said it was "500 yards."

If you are true to form you've put your most desirable choice first in the order..go with it.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM

We stayed at the Chancery Court hotel and loved it. The entrance is within a small courtyard(a refuge in the middle of the city).The staff was very courteous and accommmodating. The center staircase was palatial, covered in marble! I can't wait to go back.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Another thumbs up for the Chancery Court. The room was nice, location great, breakfast included and had a wonderful massage in the spa. We did have a first time experience tho. We had some Tasty-Kakes brought from home in the fridge for take along snacks and they disappeared although water and fruit were left untouched. I mentioned it to the desk person and they said they would check into it. I promptly forgot about it because it wasn't a big deal. Later the manager came to us to apologize and arranged for a driver to take us to the airport free of charge as compensation. So, yes I'd stay there again.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your thoughts and experiences!

I've been leaning on Chancery Court for the separate bath and shower, and queen beds in a "twin" room. I've just never stayed at either of the Millenniums or the Renaissance in London, and what pulled me to the Millenniums was their proximity to where I usually like to stay whenever I'm in London.

Luvtotravel and Darnwright: was there anything about the area of Chancery Court that you loved?
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mileaday. Sounds like an excellent experience at the Chancery Court.

Sounds like Chancery Court is the winner for this trip!

Gavin: thanks for your thorough review of the Millenniums.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM

"Luvtotravel and Darnwright: was there anything about the area of Chancery Court that you loved?"

I don't think the word "loved" bests describes the area, but I thought it convenient with the tube around the corner. It's within walking distance of the British Museum and the Soane's Museum, and we walked home following theater one evening.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Haven't stayed at any of these but passed the Renaissance CC on the way to the Soanes Museum. That area is also near the courts and law schools, ergo lots of places for students (and you) like wine bars etc. for a drink and snack. Within a walk to the theaters. I'd stay there in a minute. The hotel looks "grand."
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both mclaurie and luvtotravel. We're not big theater people so proximity the theater isn't an issue here. Sounds like the area is quiet after hours, which I don't mind. My work area near Wall St. has the same situation.

Convenience and bit of pampering is more important this trip. Sounds like the RCC will provide both for this trip.