Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which London airport best for flight to Dublin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying out of London for an inexpensive flight to Dublin. The airline has flights leaving from Luton, Gatwick, and Stansed airports. Which would be the most accessible/affordable by public transport? Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM

Check Ryanair. I think they fly from Stansted.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:19 PM
rex

I believe that Gatwick will provide the most options for lower-cost public transport. I suppose it might matter where in London you are originating.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:38 AM

I flew out of Stansted. It is easier to get to than Luton, as there is both a coach service and train. Gatwick also has a train. Google Stansted Express and Gatwick Express. Also, go to the Stansted website for information about the coach - it should be under something like "getting here."

I would probably book based on price as I would guess it costs relatively the same amount of money to get either to Gatwick or Stansted, but sometimes RyanAir flies more cheaply out of Stansted.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:05 AM

I presume you are looking at flying Ryanair. I would check other airlines on this route as competition is quite fierce and BA, Aer Lingus, BMI and Cityjet all offer very competitive fares.

A return train fare to Gatwick from central London is around £24, the same to Stansted. Return tube fare from central London to Heathrow is £7.60. If you add on the cost of an inflight drink and snack that you could incur on a low cost airline flying BA etc can work out cheaper.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:19 AM

A train ticket from central London to any of those airports will cost £14 each way even before you get on the plane...

Don't forget that you can always buy a 'SailRail' train and ferry ticket from London to Dublin for £33, any day, any date, the price is fixed even if you travel tomorrow.

The best train leaves London Euston in central London at 09:10 (08:50 Sats, 08:15 on Suns), it's a scenic ride along the north Wales coast to Holyhead on an air-con inter-city train with T-Mobile WiFi, then a luxury Irish Ferries cruise ferry arriving Dublin Ferryport at 17:25. A classic ride!

You can buy tickets online at www.thetrainline.com, just enter 'London Euston' to 'Dublin port (Irish ferries)' and collect tickets at Eustomn station.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:22 AM

the original thread is several years old and thetrainline charges for CC use and for the booking itself. Use sailrail.co.uk which is the official site for the offer and which doesn't have extra charges
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Topping a 6 year old thread asking about flights/airports to post info about trains/ferries?? Okay . . .
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Good point, I must admit i didn't look at the date... How did the search system find it if it's that old? All the other stuff it lists is recent.

Trainline I know accepts overseas credit cards, and will now send tickets overseas too. I have yet to prove what Sailrail (Arriva Trains Wales) does payment-wise.